gearbox / clutch noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gearbox / clutch noise
light grinding/ whinning noise only when moveing but stops when clutch is pressed . cars done 107 thousand no problems with gear change and gearstick aint sloppy ive had few garages look at it one said gearbox one said clutch one said driveshaft any ideas ?
Thanks given by:
Release bearing?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(03-08-2013, 03:52 PM)Anton Wrote: Release bearing?

had one of them go before just a complete different noise :/
Thanks given by:
input shaft bearing? or suppose it could be the clutch wearing down...
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
mate i had the same kind of noise kind of dispersed when clutch was pressed in but still slightly there mine was the drivers side drive shaft...could also be the thrust bearing....were abouts are you located if you aint to far i dont mind having a look for you....
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2013, 07:28 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote: mate i had the same kind of noise kind of dispersed when clutch was pressed in but still slightly there mine was the drivers side drive shaft...could also be the thrust bearing....were abouts are you located if you aint to far i dont mind having a look for you....

shrewsbury shropshire mate . and yea basicly dispears when press clutch down , i do have a brand new clutch kit for it. just id rarther start the cheaper end then haveing another gear box and problem still being there . when you acelerate in a gear then foot off and let it coast is mainly when you hear it only started doing it today these cars seem problem after problem lol
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2013, 08:34 PM)callumh122 Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 07:28 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote: mate i had the same kind of noise kind of dispersed when clutch was pressed in but still slightly there mine was the drivers side drive shaft...could also be the thrust bearing....were abouts are you located if you aint to far i dont mind having a look for you....

shrewsbury shropshire mate . and yea basicly dispears when press clutch down , i do have a brand new clutch kit for it. just id rarther start the cheaper end then haveing another gear box and problem still being there . when you acelerate in a gear then foot off and let it coast is mainly when you hear it only started doing it today these cars seem problem after problem lol
bit far lol im down south anyway best thing to do is if you have some jack stands jack up the front chock the rear wheels and leave hand break on get the front wheels off the floor start the car(best to have a buddy sit in the drivers seat just encase) and press in the clutch engage gear and slowly lift off clutch until the wheels are spinning....now you can have a proper look at were the noise is coming from because it runs on a diff you can stop each wheel and listen properly if please make sure if you do this you stand at the side of the car dont want to be run over by your own car do you lol this is what i did o determine that it was my drive shaft...you can also get under the drivers side and grasp hold of the drive shaft just by the u joint cup and give it a wiggle there shouldn't be much or any play there dont do this whilst the car is running lol stop it first....might help you bud
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
will do thanks mate will wait for a decent bit of weather . the noise gos if i press the clutch or car isit moving . and dont get louder as i turn a courner or nothing . have watched utube videos of driveshafts playing up noting like that sound what i will do is try record the noise and post it on here later
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2013, 09:53 AM)callumh122 Wrote: will do thanks mate will wait for a decent bit of weather . the noise gos if i press the clutch or car isit moving . and dont get louder as i turn a courner or nothing . have watched utube videos of driveshafts playing up noting like that sound what i will do is try record the noise and post it on here later

Mine didnt make any sound turning and went when i pressed in the clutch as theres no force on the driveshaft if you listen carefully whilst just rolling with clutch in if it is driveshaft youll here a slight grinding...when its in gear and driving sounds abit like your on a old steam train...its usually the bearing that goes first on the driveshaft kind of like a chuka chuka chuka noise lol like a train lol
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.4 - Noise - Gearbox Bearings or Wheel Bearings? Tom85 4 3,248 24-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Clutch/Gearbox problem Mcyoshi 11 3,461 29-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Mcyoshi