Norledge's Guide to Hammers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norledge's Guide to Hammers
A wide range of Hammers are available, varying in shape, size and weight.

The different styles reflect different uses.

Working on cars you'll need at least 4 or 5 good hammers within easy reach.

The shape of Hammer heads has not changed much over the years although some modern materials are now used in both the head and handle. Traditionally handle were made of wood fixed through a hole in the head; this allowed the handle to be easily replaced if required.

Modern hammers use modern materials and the handles are often built into the head - often with a form of built-in shock absorber to make them easier to use.

Claw Hammer
The most popular hammer for general work, available with a wooden (often hickory), glass-fibre or steel handle; with or without rubber grip. The most popular weights are 455-680g (16 to 24oz). The claw is normally curved, and incorporates a 'V' cut-out todraw nails from timber. The claw can be used to for most light to medium automotive jobs, such as minor dent removal and badge removal.
[Image: product_claw_hammer.jpg]

Ball and Pein Hammer
Normally used by engineer's, the pein in this case, is rounded and is usually used for shaping metal and closing rivets. Ball pein hammers are available from 55 - 1100 (4 oz upto 2 lb.), 110 - 165g (8oz 12oz) are the most suitable for general use. Perfectly suited when a Lump hammer is unusable due to space restriction, hammering 106 alternator bolts for example.
[Image: northern-industrial-ball-pein-hammer--16-oz..jpg]

Cross Pein Pin Hammer
A lighter version of the Cross and Straight Pein hammer, ideal for light joinery and cabinet work. Weight 55g (4oz) The perfect hammer for locating circlips, or accurate dent removal.
[Image: 80643.jpg]

Club Hammer
Sometimes called a Lump Hammer, it has a double faced head, and is useful for light demolition work, driving steel chisels and masonry nails. As debris is likely to fly, the wearing of safety glasses and working gloves is recommended. Weight 1135g (2 1/2 lb) being best suited to domestic work. Handles are normally wood, usually Hickory, or synthetic resin. For Automotive use, the larger the better, a shorter handle allows a larger swing. The most commonly used hammer type in bodgeneering, perfect for a wide range of jobs, for example driveshaft removal, gearbox fitting, lower arm mounting and substancial dent removal.
[Image: general_lumpHammer.jpg]

Sledge Hammer
Used for the heavier jobs, such as Engine Removal. For lighter jobs just the weight of the head may be used for blow's, but for heavier work, the hammer is swung like an axe. Wear suitable protective clothing, including a t shirt. Weights 7, 10 and 14 lb.
[Image: Sledge-Hammer-5-4kg-TSH0061-.jpg]

Soft-faced Hammers
Various types are available, with hard and soft rubber, plastic or copper faces. Some come with a choice of faces which are interchangeable. Useful for striking materials such as thin alloy, or carbon fibre, where a steel face would cause damage.
[Image: soft_face_hammer.jpg]

Advice for using hammers

Always use the right hammer for the job, it will make the job easier and avoid possible damage to the hammer.

Never hit anything with the side of a hammer head. The metal at these points is not hardened as the striking face and could be damaged.

If striking anything particularly hard, use a piece of scrap wood between the work piece and the head of the hammer. This will prevent damage to the hammer.

Where the handle is held in the hammer head by steel wedges, check regularly to ensure the wedges are tight. Timber handle can shrink in dry conditions.

If a timber handle does start become loose, place the head in water overnight, the water will cause the handle to expand and tighten in the head.

Always wear safety gear when using a hammer, t shirt and shorts must be used!
Thanks given by:
Best. Guide. Evar! Although I would have thought dum dum would have been the person to of wrote this guide, you know, since he's a professional
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Stu you hero I was actually considering this guide the other day.

Still gonna do my guides to angle grinders and axes.

Oh and just to point out there is circumstances where it is acceptable or appropriate to use the side of the hammer. I used the side of a lump hammer as part of my selection of hammers rolling my front arches.
Thanks given by:
Haha I did this ages ago, just got bored one afternoon!
Thanks given by:
So how many hammers do you own?

Oh and your top 2 pics don't work.
Thanks given by:
Deadblows?

Half a f*cking job... :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just for Ruan...

Bray it wi't 'ammer!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Can i just point out that my sledge is 16lb, normally for mens use.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I am a keen enthusiast of the club hammer
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Don't forget slide hammers for lowering...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by: