New to French cars and diesels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to French cars and diesels
Hi everyone. I've never had a French car or a diesel but recently acquired a phase 1 306 sedan with the 1.9 turbo diesel xud.

Despite the plan to keep it a standard runaround within a week Google was calling to find out how to make it faster! Turns out I just have the Lucas pump but have had a play around with it and it's made a surprising difference. Have put a turbo back 2.25" exhaust on it. Only has a single silencer but barely louder than standard. Have given it a quick respray to freshen it up, fitted a phase 3 steering wheel and seats (apart from rear seat back as it's different from the one I picked up. Think I'll need to just swap over the covers). It's lowered on three corners so far, just can't get one of the torsion bars shifted! It's still on standard steels with wheeltrims so it's pretty funny to see peoples faces when it overtakes!

It looks like I now need to read up on the Bosch pumps as I've seen mentions of 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, governor mods etc which is all completely new territory. It badly needs a front mount intercooler as well, which is what led me to this site as I was looking for a how to. The rectangular intake had me stumped. Need to find out how far standard clutches, gearboxes and bottom ends etc can be pushed so I don't break anything. Looks like all the answers should be on here somewhere though.

Let the learning commence!
Thanks given by:
Welcome
Thanks given by:
Welcome along mate Smile

Standard transmission and engine will be fine and reliable on standard turbo, but it's all on here hve a look around Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club! Lots of info on here regarding derv tuning! For the fmic you will need an inlet adapter something like this

Or a xantia manifold like this:

I would walk before you run though, get a bosch on there and do a good stage 1 before you look at front mounts and 11mm's but I like the enthusiasm!! lol
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Welcome along, you are certainly in the right place for the help you are looking for!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club! Done very useful info there from DanSmile
Thanks given by:
Welcome! I know hardly anything about diesels so cant help but there are some very knowledgeable people on here who can answer all your questions for you Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Welcome along mate. I'll leave the derv advice to others as I know naff all about them really.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info. I didn't want to come on and just ask all the questions that are covered elsewhere. Xantia manifold looks like a better option. After a few goes at the pump it's peaking and holding 1.7 bar of boost and it seems to be possible to drive round the smoke problems ( lighter throttle until 0.5 bar of boost then full throttle and just never let it labour in any gear) Goes really well in the morning or late at night when it's cool but obviously far too high inlet temps during the day and it just doesn't seem as keen. Should probably turn it back a bit but all temps and boost pressures can be controlled by the accelerator pedal. That was why I thought intercooler before Bosch. It looks like a much simpler and cheaper option to me but that may just be because I tend to avoid mechanical stuff where possible.

Does a standard Bosch pump on its own make the biggest difference when it comes to getting power out one of these?

It looks like I just need a standard Bosch pump with a few mods, definitely no need for an 11mm pump (now that I know what one is!)

Have a set of Gti-6 wheels to tidy up and fit although really liking the surprise factor with the wheeltrims.
Thanks given by:
A Bosch is a must if you want to tune it so much more to play with to get the power just better pumps
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Need to get a few more post up so I can actually start buying stuff from the for sale section!
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club, there's loads of REALLY good info in the diesel section and the guides so this is the place to be.

Sedans are awesome but people always crash into me when I won them so I have a slammed estate. The white 2.1TD converted one (see project section) is the last sedan i built.

A bosch might not make you alot more poewr untill its got internal mods but it does have alot better smoke control and also will run on cooking oil (which is about half the price of diesel). FMIC and bosch are the way forward till you read enough guides here to be confident to build a 10/11mm pump and fit a bigger turbo.
Thanks given by:
FAO Jake: I'm really interested in your wheels. Is there any chance you could contact me on simonharkness@yahoo.com please. Hope this isn't violating forum rules.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 11:33 AM)simonh Wrote: FAO Jake: I'm really interested in your wheels. Is there any chance you could contact me on simonharkness@yahoo.com please. Hope this isn't violating forum rules.

Pm sent
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 11:43 AM)Jake Wrote:
(05-08-2013, 11:33 AM)simonh Wrote: FAO Jake: I'm really interested in your wheels. Is there any chance you could contact me on simonharkness@yahoo.com please. Hope this isn't violating forum rules.

Pm sent

He wont be able to read your PM mate!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks Jake, money should be on its way to you.
Thanks given by:
Job done. Just four posts to go and I should be able to buy the Bosch setup that's in the for sale section. What's a sensible price to offer for it?
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 01:20 PM)Niall Wrote:
(05-08-2013, 11:43 AM)Jake Wrote:

Pm sent

He wont be able to read your PM mate!

It's all good I sent directly to his email.

(05-08-2013, 03:00 PM)simonh Wrote: Job done. Just four posts to go and I should be able to buy the Bosch setup that's in the for sale section. What's a sensible price to offer for it?

I'd say £120 with all lines and injectors.

Tis what I sold mine for!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
A new guy that is researching first and asking questions later! Finally the world is learning to internet! Welcome along mate, you will fit in just fine here Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom, Are you still happy at 100 pounds posted? If so I just need your Paypal address.

SImon
Thanks given by:
Simon harkness? Not related to a Rachel harkness are you?

Welcome btw! Tongue lol
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Not that I know of although I guess there'll be some tenuous connection ten generations ago or something! :-)
Thanks given by:
I would be fine with that. Get another post then you should be able to use the pm'ing system Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
post number 10!

Don't have permission to pm yet. Maybe takes a wee while to update. Please consider the conversion stuff sold. I wont change my mind or waste your time. Need to read up on gov mod and pin grinding again tonight. Not sure about the veg oil thing though.
Thanks given by:
Welcome buddy im in the same boat new to the XUD diesel engine
Thanks given by:
Just chuck the veg in Smile just make sure you replace your fuel filter every 3k-4k Smile absolutely fine Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
sedan ftw
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Need some pictures of the car man!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Not the greatest pictures but here you go:
[Image: 1-1.jpg]

[Image: 2-1.jpg]

[Image: 3-1.jpg]

[Image: 4-1.jpg]
After suspension calculations went a bit wrong
[Image: miscalculatedrearsuspension.jpg]
How it looked last night after getting rear set. Bit fuzzy as was starting to get dark.
[Image: 5-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That looks stunning mate!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by: