How to fit a gti inlet manifold to a 1.816v / 2.016v

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fit a gti inlet manifold to a 1.816v / 2.016v
So firstly, if you ruin your car its not my fault. This is a guide and not instructions!

Parts needed:
Inlet manifold
GTI6 fuel rail with FPR
complete Throttle body
Breather hoses from crankcase to throttle body
half metre of 6mm fuel line
half metre of 8mm fuel line
Lots of various size hose clips
either a gti6 air box (in which case you will also need top radiator hose) or a induction kit.
GTI6 manifold gasket (2.80 from pug)
6x m8x1.25x 25mm bolts
Ok now i did take photos as i went but ive lost them all! Will be doing this conversion on a friends car soon so will take photos then.

1) remove original air box and ducting. Airbox mounting plate is held in by 2 10mm bolts on the slam panel.
2) Disconnect all the plugs on the throttle body and the accelerator cable.
3) Remove your fuel relay (located on back of the battery box) and crank the car several times. It might start but will cut out almost straight away. This removes all pressure from the fuel lines and rail.
4) unbolt the fuel rail from the manifold and carefully remove. Now you want to take the metal retaining clips from the injectors and very carefully remove them from the rail. you will have some fuel spilling out so might be handy to have some old rag to hand to soak it up. Place the injectors to one side, keeping them somewhere clean.
5) remove the vacuum hose from the FPR and then set about removing the fuel lines. If you follow them back to where they go to a 90 degree bend at the drivers side strut, this is where you want to remove them. Remove the clips on the hose and carefully wiggle the hose off the plastic connectors. Once again you will loose a little fuel so have something to soak it up. Place fuel rail to one side. The hose with the white connector (nearest the front of the car) is the fuel feed whilst the green one (nearest rear of car) is the return. You do not want to get these mixed up as the car will not run!
6) Remove the pipe that goes from the crank case to in-between the manifold. This just pulls off from in-between the manifold but is clipped onto the crankcase.
Now, start unbolting the manifold. You will have 2 13mm nuts and 6 6mm allen key bolts. Some are fiddly to get to but can be done.
7) once the bolts are removed, pull the manifold away from the block but only carefully. There are still plugs connected! Remove the MAP sensor plug and the remaining vacuum hoses and then remove the manifold.

Wasn't that easy!

8) The map sensor wire needs to be relocated so it will reach on the new manifold. Remove the cable armouring and pull the cable back through to where the throttle body sensor wiring comes from. Make sure not to wrap it around any other wires or have it pulling really tight as this will result in broken wiring at some point!
9) Once you have returned the wiring armour, check to make sure everything is ok! Now is the ideal time to replace your started motor or even do your oil filter if you hate doing it from underneath where access is almost impossible!
10) place gasket onto block and offer manifold up. Now is where trial and error comes in. You might have some wires or pipes in the way. My power steering pipe was in the way but all i had to do was bend it by about 5mm and it was clear.
11) bolt manifold into place. You need to use your new bolts as the old ones will be too long.
12) take your injectors, grease up the seals on them and carefully wriggle them into the new fuel rail. Once in, fit the metal retaining clips and offer up to manifold. Gently wriggle into place and then with a bit of pressure, they should pop in. Bolt the rail down but don't over tighten as the manifold is only made of soft ally and will thread easily! (as i discovered!)
13)take your two lengths of fuel hose and fit to fuel rail with appropriate hose clips. The hoses want to be on the rail as far as possible and clipped down tight!
14) route the hose the same route as the old ones went making sure they won't rub on anything. offer up to the fuel lines on the strut and cut to length.
(8mm = fuel feed/Green connector
6mm = fuel return/white connector. Do not get these mixed up!)
15) Fit fuel hoses onto connectors on strut and tighten hose clips. Cable tie hoses out of the way so they won't chafe or get damaged.
16) Fit throttle body to manifold (4x long allen bolts) and connect all sensors back up being careful to make sure none are over stretched or chafing. Fit accelerator cable to throttle body.
17) when you removed your old manifold, you would have unplugged a hose that goes over to the drivers wing. This needs to be connected back up to the hose on the front of the throttle body (next to yellow plug). I used a new bit of hose for this but you could always use whats there.
18) reconnect brake servo hose. This is located differently on the gti manifold and so might be a bit fiddly fitting the hose but it does go on!
19) fit oil breather hose from throttle body to crank case.
20) Fir your induction kit/air box. Either way, you are going to have to make up some mounts so i can't really help here!) (if you are using a induction kit, you must have a breather filter on the hose coming from the ICV. If you are using the original air box, this will plug straight into the feed from the air box to the throttle body.)
21) Refit fuel relay and any other bits you may have removed. Have a good look over to make sure there is nothing missing and check everything is tight.
22) start car. Might be hard to start as first because fuel needs to be pumped along the new lines. It will be worth having someone there to watch the engine when starting to make sure there is no fuel squirting from a badly fitted hose/injector. if this is the case, turn the car off immediately and inspect.

Notes:
- I can't stress enough how important it is for the fuel hoses to be connected securely and properly. Make sure you buy proper fuel hose and not just any old rubber hose. If a hose pops off or a injector starts leaking because it was badly fitted, you could have a under bonnet fire and then thats good bye car and maybe good bye you!
- At the moment i am using the 3.2 bar FPR out of the 1.8 rail. I suggest you do the same to start with as this runs fine however i will be trailing the 4bar FPR from the gti rail in a few weeks.
- Please make sure all hoses and cables are securely out the way and not chafing. This manifold is a lot bigger than the old one so space is a lot tighter. Last thing you want is to break down because of a chafed wire somewhere!
- All sensors on the gti throttle body are the same as they are on the 1.8 one and so it doesn't matter which one you use.
- Make sure you use the 1.8 injectors. If you use the gti ones, it will run like shite unless you get a remap because more fuel will be being injected than the car thinks. This will also ruin your engine over time!

Hope this helps some people! Ive put a few photos of the finished thing here for reference and i will be adding some guide photos when i do my mates car in a few weeks.

[Image: 158a94e5.jpg]

[Image: 8f3daaa8.jpg]
Fuel line connection

[Image: ce6aa36c.jpg]
Power steering pipe clearance

[Image: 687c1d76.jpg]

Update time
As promised I have FINALLY added some more photos

[Image: b0e9bfb3.jpg]

The hose you see to the right of this pic links to here

[Image: 61faa234.jpg]

[Image: 0d7b2618.jpg]
Fuel hose connections. Messy at the moment but does the job

[Image: 3f8857d1.jpg]
Throttle body connections

If you need any more photos, give us a shout.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I followed this exactly to fit mine and can confirm its bloody awesome
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:I followed this exactly to fit mine and can confirm its bloody awesome

Rep me then whore! Oh hold on.....

:mrgreen:
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Looks like a good tutorial and will be even better with pictures! Ive got a 1.8 so what are the advantages of doing this?
Thanks given by:
Not sure if you mentioned it. But the original xsi fuel rail fits it. I'll get pics of mine tomorrow Smile
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:Looks like a good tutorial and will be even better with pictures! Ive got a 1.8 so what are the advantages of doing this?

Car revs a lot more freely, sounds solo much better and has more low end power.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Currently doing this to mine and finding it a bit of a ball ache in places.

M8x1.25 x 25mm bolts do fit but personally id use allen headed ones (probably cut down the originals or order new ones from pug) rather than 13mm hex as you cant get a socket or a spanner on some of them.

If you use the XSi fuel rail you dont need to buy fuel hose but then you have nothing to connect the vac pipe that runs all the way to the drivers wing so have about 2 inches of 8mm hose lying around.

If you dont get the big breather pipe for the GTi manifold to the rocker cover youll need to find one of these too or improvise something. Ive found that garden hose is almost the right size and youll need about 12" of it.

The brake servo hose can be removed from the car at the flexi joint near the bulk head. You can then cut a few inches off the joint end and cut the hard pipe from the flexi hose. Then heat up the hard pipe till its almost at melting/catching fire stage and you can push it back over the joint on the flexi.

It is definitely a good time to do the oil filter as access is great from above and also the fuel filter seen as you have de-pressurized the system.

Ill probably be back with more whinges tomorrow when I try fitting an induction kit
Thanks given by:
Yeah it is a bit fiddly lol.
With the servo hose, I just connected it and it sort of bent it's self out of the way. Didn't really prove a problem. I'm sure a gti one is cheap enough though!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ive still gotta finish the breathers but a note for the wiring is it needs pulling out of its armouring till it gets to the main bit that goes round the side of the engine.

Pics of my induction set up are below.

With the bolts I put an extra washer on some of the standard ones then a nut and tightened the nut against the head for the harder to reach places as for me this was easier than fighting hex bolts i couldnt get a spanner or socket on. Like pic below.

[Image: GTi6Inlet09.jpg]
[Image: GTi6Inlet07.jpg]
[Image: GTi6Inlet08.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not a bad idea Chris with the bolts.
I thought I mentioned originally about having to pull the wiring through the armour.
It's the easier thing to do and saves cutting wiring!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I just used gti manifold bolts Wink
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:I just used gti manifold bolts Wink

Yeah well some of us are tight bastards and don't want to spend the money on new bolts!!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Second hand, from a scrapper Wink
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Second hand, from a scrapper Wink

Cheap bastard

(no Matt, you can't win with me Big Grin)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Haha did the job and no fapping about with the original bolts, maybe cheap but I do indeed win
Thanks given by:
I need to replace my bolts in al fairness. There not ideal. Might see how much they are from pug.

Edit: 34p each from pug. Gotta be done
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
See I win. You are now buying '6 bolts haha
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:See I win. You are now buying '6 bolts haha

Only thing that you win at is having more s59s than anyone else on this forum!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Okay. Now you win Sad
Thanks given by:
Found another tutorial here which may help people!
Thanks given by:
got all my parts together and its got a resonator bung instead of that black box under the manifold. This leads me to my question as to what is the black disc on the top right of the third photo down?
Thanks given by:
It's a 1 way check valve for the crank case breather. It's supposed to stop oil flowing out and into your manifold and only let vapours past. Mine didn't work so I just sacked it and fitted a catch tank.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:It's a 1 way check valve for the crank case breather. It's supposed to stop oil flowing out and into your manifold and only let vapours past. Mine didn't work so I just sacked it and fitted a catch tank.

ok I've got a catch tank so that solves that one :-)
Thanks given by:
I would like to add my experience to this thread...

First off my inlet manifold cost £40 posted and was fitted a few weeks later by Carl Chambers for £30. I bought all my own fuel lines off ebay. The inlet manifold I got has a resonator bung in it which...

cwspellowe Wrote:Resonators are used to "tune" air flow in the inlet chambers to assist the pulsing flow of air into the cylinders. NASP cars obviously don't have anything to force air into the cylinders so the pulse tuning of the resonant frequencies can assist the flow of air. Basically so each "pulse" of air hits the mouth of the cylinder as the valve opens. On the GTI6 there are two resonators, one on the airbox to adjust the inlet noise and one on the inlet manifold to fine tune the air flow.

On the GTI6, replacing the one on the manifold actually creates MORE noise, more of a throaty low down grunty noise.

There would normally be no need to change the helmholtz resonator on a standard gti6 engine as it has been designed in such a way as to improve air flow in that particular engine. Change the engine and it has nowhere near the same effect. Change the induction setup of the GTI6 engine and again, it alters how effective the resonator is. I ended up using a bung as 1. my induction setup was a lot different to standard and 2. I felt like it.

I don't think anyone really knows exactly what difference it makes on the 1.8 as noone really knows the science of the airflow of the GTI6 manifold in combination with the 1.8 engine. It may make more noise, maybe less noise, more or less power, different torque spread, who knows? It won't create a "massive flat spot" all by itself though.

i feel that it makes it louder and perhaps makes a small flat spot at around 3.5k. However after 4k and especially 5k it definitely seems to kick in. The noise this manifold makes is brilliant. You can hear the air being sucked in as soon as you plant your foot.

So the bad things... my PAS pipe is currently rubbing up along side the manifold so that is one thing that definitely needs a good whack out of the way when youre fitting the manifold. However this is my main point... fuel lines! Obviously make sure they are rated for high pressure fuel and that they are not colourful ones for motorbikes. Main reason being our engines are injected so the fuel lines are under pressure where as on a bike the fuel is just sucked by the engine. My main problem has been the settling in of pipes. Once you have fitted your manifold I would recommend tightening up all fuel hose clips or at least checking them before every journey.

The first drive i did there was no leaks... the second there was no leaks... after 260 miles to liverpool there was a slight leak. So i tightened them. A 10 mile drive through liverpool and the smell was pungent and they were tightened again. Last week I did the same trip through liverpool again and there was petrol all over the top of the engine and the underside of the bonnet was coated. As the engine was running you could see it spurting out. I tightened them and it then wasnt leaking... I didnt even go for a drive today but i thought id see how it was going and it was still dripping out so a few more turns.

So yes my two cents... keep tightening the fuel clips! Doh
Thanks given by:
Mae sure to use proper fuel hose and fuel hose clips instead of jubilee clips.
Halfords sell Goodyear hose in 2 sizes which are ideal for this conversion

With the powerstearing pipe, if you crack off the union holding it to the pump, you can spin the whole metal pipe round just enough so that it's out the way. You will have to remove the support bracket though which bolts to the side of the pump
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Mae sure to use proper fuel hose and fuel hose clips instead of jubilee clips.
Halfords sell Goodyear hose in 2 sizes which are ideal for this conversion

With the powerstearing pipe, if you crack off the union holding it to the pump, you can spin the whole metal pipe round just enough so that it's out the way. You will have to remove the support bracket though which bolts to the side of the pump

ill buy some braided fuel lines and end finishers from demon tweaks in the next few weeks Big Grin
Thanks given by:
One extreme to the other haha. I'd just use the same stuff nialls got. Infact I have some in my shed as I didn't need mine as the xsi fuel rail fits Smile
Thanks given by:
8mm = fuel feed/Green connector

I swear mine are the other way round :/ Ive definitely got 8mm on the white connector which seems to be feeding the fuel :/
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:8mm = fuel feed/Green connector

I swear mine are the other way round :/ Ive definitely got 8mm on the white connector which seems to be feeding the fuel :/

Could be mate seeing as my car had been messed with a fair bit!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:
SRowell Wrote:8mm = fuel feed/Green connector

Could be mate seeing as my car had been messed with a fair bit!

yeh my upper most pipe is the white connector which goes into the upper connector of the gti fuel rail.

Also advice to anyone reading this thread looking to do this mod. My leaking used to be fromt eh jubilee clips not being done up tight enough... However i put new ones on today and fuel started pissing out. Turns out the inner metal tail of the jubilee clip had been forced through the pipe when i tightened it up really tight! Ive been through several clips now as the screws always seem to be complete shite so i really recommend you get decent ones on the first place!
Thanks given by: