K&N Air Filter

Poll: Best Air Filter
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Standard
80.00%
12 80.00%
K&N
13.33%
2 13.33%
Pipercross
6.67%
1 6.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K&N Air Filter
What does everyone think of the K&N air filter, Is it worth using one of these over a standard Peueot one? How does the performance and longevity differ to the standard air filter?
Thanks
Thanks given by:
With a DERV; air filters are fairly generic. The bigger the better has always been my call, and often seen the cheaper ebay jobbies are the biggest and often the best. Then again, others enjoy a nice brand on a filter.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
standard panel is more than capable of passing enough air on a stg 1 tune
i wouldnt bother with the messing of washing and oiling the filter as the std filters are cheap and dont feck up the MAF sensor
Thanks given by:
They are good and will flow more but the standard one isn't really a restriction. Also as cully says the oil on the filter can get sucked in and damage the MAF sensor. The reason most people change them is not being able to fit the standard air box with a FMIC.
Thanks given by:
I had a universal jobby on mine and while it did sound a lil grunty on the lower rpm range it no doubt didn't do the intake temps any favours since I didn't hook up a cold air feed
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
[quote='ginge191' pid='306707' dateline='1375434792']
With a DERV; air filters are fairly generic. The bigger the better has always been my call, and often seen the cheaper ebay jobbies are the biggest and often the best. Then again, others enjoy a nice brand on a filter.
[/q

Thanks for the reply, so I guess you use the standard air filter? Purflux isn't it?
Thanks given by:
I have bought an ITG filter, its better than the K&N one, I found that the car responds better and noticed a little more pull up top end.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 09:31 AM)lolsteve Wrote: I had a universal jobby on mine and while it did sound a lil grunty on the lower rpm range it no doubt didn't do the intake temps any favours since I didn't hook up a cold air feed

Ah, thanks for passing on your experience!

(02-08-2013, 09:27 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: They are good and will flow more but the standard one isn't really a restriction. Also as cully says the oil on the filter can get sucked in and damage the MAF sensor. The reason most people change them is not being able to fit the standard air box with a FMIC.

Ok thanks again dum-dum, so you would advise just sticking with a standard purflux one?
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 10:09 AM)MY95 Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 09:13 AM)ginge191 Wrote: With a DERV; air filters are fairly generic. The bigger the better has always been my call, and often seen the cheaper ebay jobbies are the biggest and often the best. Then again, others enjoy a nice brand on a filter.

Thanks for the reply, so I guess you use the standard air filter? Purflux isn't it?

I don't have a HDi, i run a DT with no filter .. not the best but meh, the noise and spool is epic
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 09:27 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: They are good and will flow more but the standard one isn't really a restriction. Also as cully says the oil on the filter can get sucked in and damage the MAF sensor. The reason most people change them is not being able to fit the standard air box with a FMIC.

Ok thanks again dum-dum, so you would advise just sticking with a standard purflux one?
Yeah Its probably best as aftermarket "induction kits" get terrible heat soak, like on a 10*C day the standard system will be about 10*C at the MAF but with a induction kit it'll be 30-40*C

(02-08-2013, 10:12 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 09:13 AM)ginge191 Wrote: With a DERV; air filters are fairly generic. The bigger the better has always been my call, and often seen the cheaper ebay jobbies are the biggest and often the best. Then again, others enjoy a nice brand on a filter.

I don't have a HDi, i run a DT with no filter .. not the best but meh, the noise and spool is epic

Cant believe your still condoning this after what happened t Max's turbo.

No filter is a good recipe for destroying turbos in just a few thousand miles and on the HDi it'll also destroy many many MAF sensors.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 10:28 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Cant believe your still condoning this after what happened t Max's turbo.

[Image: 8eT1a18.png]
Thanks given by:
Lol...

Tbh after market filters are pretty much a waste of money imo, unless you just want the noise or need room in the bay. They're much more likely to do harm than good, anything costing less than a ton can be safely allocated to the same category as fuel magnets and electric turbos.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
just watch the pod filter mythbuster on mightcarmods...

shows that manufacturers do spend time developing an air box for a reason!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 01:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: just watch the pod filter mythbuster on mightcarmods...

I put a K&N in the airbox of my HDI. The standard filter was 3 months old so still clean. 2 mpg more and better acceleration. I think they are great.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 01:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: just watch the pod filter mythbuster on mightcarmods...

i watched that and tbh i don't think it was very scientific, an air filter coming out the morrete is going to produce lower charge temps on the road, not in a garage though . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
When my car last went on the rollers it pulled 1hp less with the filter off. We put the filter back on and it pulled the same as the first run. Although I dont trust them rollers

I run a hks mushroom filter. It makes a sweet whistle on boost. The inlet diameter is 101mm. The filter is foam like and can be bought for 12 pound as and when needed. But I think it does ruin maf sensors.

The stock airbox modded should be fine tho

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 04:03 PM)Arron Wrote: When my car last went on the rollers it pulled 1hp less with the filter off. We put the filter back on and it pulled the same as the first run. Although I dont trust them rollers

I run a hks mushroom filter. It makes a sweet whistle on boost. The inlet diameter is 101mm. The filter is foam like and can be bought for 12 pound as and when needed. But I think it does ruin maf sensors.

The stock airbox modded should be fine tho

Thanks Arron. I have had K&N air filers since 1988 in various Capris,a 106 diesel 1.4, a 405 1.9d,an Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf and a Stihl saw although for very different reasons. I have always thought they were great.
Thanks given by: