Mercedes Turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercedes Turbo
Hello all

I have the option of acquiring a K14-2 from an E300 TD, part number 53149707026. It looks like it will fit an XUD, with a bit of fiddling, almost a straight swap Smile

Does anyone have any information on the turbo? Or has anyone done such a swap? Information on the turbo itself is very sketchy Huh

Thanks for any help or advice Smile
[Image: Image423_zps1ac08bc4-1_zps15c76431.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure someone used one, and with a load of fuel it made good power.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
there really isnt much info out there lol, just spent the last 10 mins googling it

whack it on and see what happens gets my vote
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im sure con67 has used a merc turbo, he gave it abit of exhaust housing reaming and apparently it made it really responsive. I think its a k14-2 or something?

edit: just re read your first post and realised you already knew the turbo haha. Spools about 3k im sure con said.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Didn't an Irish guy make 200bhp on a merc 200 turbo.
Thanks given by:
Im sure con is from over the water Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2013, 07:06 PM)Dave Wrote: Im sure con67 has used a merc turbo, he gave it abit of exhaust housing reaming and apparently it made it really responsive. I think its a k14-2 or something?

edit: just re read your first post and realised you already knew the turbo haha. Spools about 3k im sure con said.

Perfect! Just looked up con67's posts and yes indeed he used a Merc turbo Smile

All the information I'm looking for is in this post Big Grin

So it looks like this is getting the go-ahead from me, I was in the process of fitting a TB2509 but the elbow is probing to be an arse! Seems from the stats that the K14-2 is a bigger unit too Big Grin

I'll make a build thread if there's enough interest! Wink
Thanks given by:
Yea but wasn't con.
Thanks given by:
Might aswell conclude this! Just if anyone is in the same boat Smile

Right.... I got the turbo anyway. Peanuts Big Grin
[Image: Image782.jpg]

Comparing somewhat to a GT15
[Image: Image783.jpg]

It needs clocking but no harm t open up and clean the inside
[Image: Image787.jpg]

It's almost a bolt on job, the holes are very close to lining up. Needs drilling to fit, there's meat on the flange for it Smile
[Image: Image790.jpg]

Wastegate sampling is not used due to the reverse wastegate Mercedes use. A good punch and a sampler from an old turbo fits nicely. Wastegate needs to have a bracket made up!
[Image: Image791.jpg]

Somewhat finished
[Image: Image792.jpg]

The stock line fits. I found using a Fiesta heater hose for the return line on a cut down alu return pipe works well
[Image: Image818.jpg]

The Merc downpipe is mild steel so an adapter can be welded on for the XUD elbow.... Last on my list to do! Pity, I prefer the Merc downpipe....
[Image: Image820.jpg]

When up and running I'll get it dyno'ed and see what it does Big Grin Last time was 115 but it's far faster since then....
Thanks given by:
sweet...

what changes you expecting?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: sweet...

what changes you expecting?

I'm hoping a fair difference! I put a lot of work into the pump on that engine too, I'll be happy with over 170bhp Smile even more with a stronger clutch!
Thanks given by:
I used one but in the standard 306 housing so it was completely bolt on, I done 173bhp on the tmic. Just pump and turbo. very oem+ I thought lol
Thanks given by:
Right, I'd better conclude this!

Turbo on Smile

The downpipe needs an adapter plate, just cut the lip of the Merc downpipe and weld it onto some flat steel plate, drill then bolt on the XUD downpipe. I also bolted the wastegate shut as the arm uses a bolt, not a clip
[Image: Image865.jpg]

Bear in mind with that setup it may still foul the gear linkage therefore 1st, 3rd and 5th will be a pain in the arse to select. Getting it done custom and binning that elbow someday soon Smile

Driving defiltered so far. Finding a set of pipes to go to the turbo was a right pain in the arse so I used pipework from a Volvo S40 and a 2.5 Daily. Tight but fits well Smile

As for driving.... I'm running a 11mm pump with advance mods, transit gov, lda grind etc. Boost comes in properly just before 3k rpm, quite laggy otherwise but it is a relatively big turbo.

I don't know the limits of this turbo, don't want to go too high so soon.... Currently running 24psi, controlled by fuelling Big Grin

This is on a 406 btw, a floppy barge compared to a 306....!

I hope this was some help if anyone is thinking of using this turbo....!
Thanks given by:
Have you tweaked your governor yet?

Looks like it really dies about 4300rpm, need to get that engine spinning to 5k to get the most out of that turbo.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2013, 09:18 AM)Ruan Wrote: Have you tweaked your governor yet?

Looks like it really dies about 4300rpm, need to get that engine spinning to 5k to get the most out of that turbo.

I have indeed, using a Transit main spring. Slightly more travel than a shimmed gov on standard spring though
[Image: Image742.jpg]

It's early days for me, I was thinking of opening the wastegate a bit and winding out the max speed screw even more, for better response without overspinning the turbo. When I had this gov in the old pump it was very rev happy. I'll get it right though, just trial and error Smile

Although this car weighs at least 250kg more than the equivalent 306....! Blush
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mercedes injector Nozzels with shimmed injectors & d8a bayley 11 2,567 23-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Dave