Alternator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator
Hi there

I beleave my alternator has died, very weak charge going to the battery, the battery light comes on dim when the engine is running.

Is there an alternator relay or something I need to check before removing alternator?

Also what's the best plan of attack when removing it, do I need to take the power steering pump off to get access? Don't thing you can get to it from beneath the car?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks given by:
Theres a big bolt going through the bottom then a smaller 13mm ontop. Obviously you have to take the aux belt off first Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Try getting at it from the drivers wheel arch. You'll be in there anyway to release the tensioners.
Thanks given by:
Just an update, quite confused!

I tested my alternator it's giving out 8v when the engines running, but the battery is reading 15,5v! Make things worse when the cars not running the battery reads 16.6v.

How can that be? Voltage of battery seems way 2 high, us there a regulator or anything I need check?
Thanks given by:
Sure you were measuring it correctly? Did you test the alternator immediately after starting? Glowplugs suck a fair bit of power at the start.
Thanks given by:
Yeh I can use a volt meter lol. Yeh left the car running for 5mins before I checked anything. When the cars running the battery reads 15.5 and 16.6 when the cars no running, no keys in ignition.
Thanks given by:
f*ck thats crazy, what does the meter drop to when you crank it over?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
does anyone have the part code for the alternator which would be on a 1998 ph2 aircon model? i carnt really take it off to take upto the breakers as i would have to drive lol
Thanks given by:
its quite shape specific as I found out recently...
so just ensure you find a 306 in the scraps that is same phase and has A/C and all should be well
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ok thank you, iv noticed 2 of my relays are hot, hot enough warm my cheeks anyway, is there a relay dagram anywhere as i dont know what they are for?

think i have a few electrical gremlins, one of my relays is brown and the other green (its the top green relay on the side of the fuse box, what do these operate? wondering if i can a cross wire
Thanks given by:
can someone please identify what this plug is for please? (its behind the center console) seems when it is connected my relays go warm and the battery light comes on with no keys in my ignition.

everything is fine when this is diconnected.

been trying find this electrical problem for a long time lol, i hope this solves it

Thanks given by: