chatter??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chatter??
Dum-Dum Wrote:This is my personal opinion and not one shared by the rest of the forum (most of whom have never driven a car with a screamer pipe or done any real research on the subject)

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it?
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Exactly what dum says, the chatter is damaging to the turbo blades, hence earlier i said "You do know what this is, right?" as in, it's not an achievement to accomplish chatter, yes it sounds fapping awesome but can be damaging.

turbo chatter can often be mistaken for screamer pipes, im not going to go into the details of it, google it. Supras and the JZ egines they often drop in them. youtube some videos.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:turbo chatter can often be mistaken for screamer pipes, im not going to go into the details of it, google it. Supras and the JZ egines they often drop in them. youtube some videos.

thats what i done and googled all the youtube vids and ended up on evo's and skylines and supras, before getting a little bit over excited because of boost. :auto-layrubber:
Thanks given by:
Ian Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:This is my personal opinion and not one shared by the rest of the forum (most of whom have never driven a car with a screamer pipe or done any real research on the subject)

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it?

Yes Its a bit of an assumption but its an assumption based on knowledge.

When I fitted the EWG to my car I spoke to alot of people about it and they all knew bugger all and hadnt been out it cars with screamers.
Thanks given by:
Mine chatters.. Il get a vid up
[Image: blazejpg1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The chirpy sound is just surging on the compressor as it approaches the surge line, nothing to do with the wastegate at all?
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Waste gate chatter does not exist.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Matthew Wrote:Waste gate chatter does not exist.

It does at part throttle when the wastegate it too large.

Ill explain how later if you dont know but im off out.
Thanks given by:
If you could yep.

I have read a lot of articles & forums recently and a lot of them is about the myth of wastegate chatter, in that, it's just a myth. I just can't picture in my head, how you would get chatter from the wastegate.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
Right basically its at part throttle near the boost threshold of the wastegate (ill use 15psi as an example) and often if a wastegate is too big for the application.

So say your crusing along, relatively quickly part throttle just hitting 15psi. Wastegate opens, lets out too much gas, pressure drops, wastegate closes again, takes a split second to hit 15psi again, re opens, pressure drops again, gate closes and so on and so on untill the throttle position / revs change.

Its that situation that does cause wastegate chatter but it sounds nothing like people think it does and I strongly doubt a car on its standard turbo, especially a diesel would manage it.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:So say your crusing along, relatively quickly part throttle just hitting 15psi. Wastegate opens, lets out too much gas, pressure drops, wastegate closes again, takes a split second to hit 15psi again, re opens, pressure drops again, gate closes and so on and so on untill the throttle position / revs change.

Wouldn't cause a chattering noise, all you'd hear is a low cyclic noise from the exhaust of the wastegate opening - I've had this before, it happens if the line from the boost controller is too long, it takes a while for the lines to expand and contract and the pressure to pulse up and down the pipe, causing it to over/underboost... My VNT does kinda the same thing with the vanes, when you stamp your foot in it, it reacts SO fast, it'll just overboost, then open suddenly, then close... Doesn't cause a chattering noise though...

Compressor surge is simply the airflow from the compressor not being stable due to it being on or over it's surge line - Surge line being the compressor is putting out too much pressure vs the shaft speed as the airflow demands aren't there, so the airflow isn't stable... I.e. if you're ON the throttle and it's happening, the turbo is being restricted on it's inlet to the engine or on it's way out - the exhaust (If you want to hear ON throttle surge, come in my car, you'll see what I mean, it's a horrible hissing clicking noise from the compressor, keep going, you'll get the typical "bark" from the compressor)...

OR you've just lifted off and the revs are falling, causing the airflow demand to reduce massively, pushing the compressor right into it's surge area as it spools down, causing that WHOP WHOP WHOP noise from the compressor as it slows with the airflow very unstable.

No means to blow my own trumpet, this is an area I'd say I've got a good bit of knowledge...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:I am the only person to of fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel so Im the only person with any real experience in the subject and so yes im an expert in fitting an EWG to a 306 diesel compared to the rest of you.

No your not, Brynllwynog had one on his car. And being a mechanical engineer i imagine he may have slightly more expertise than yourself.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:I am the only person to of fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel so Im the only person with any real experience in the subject and so yes im an expert in fitting an EWG to a 306 diesel compared to the rest of you.

No your not, Brynllwynog had one on his car. And being a mechanical engineer i imagine he may have slightly more expertise than yourself.

Think youll find that was my set up I designed and sold to him when I broke the car.
Thanks given by:
Hardly makes you an expert in any way does it, talking down to people on here being billy big balls. Ian was discussing and you just make him look like a c*nt. Not really the way forward is it?
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Think youll find that was my set up I designed and sold to him when I broke the car.

PMSL Repped! lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Crikey calm down people....

Tbh all the info you need is in Ruans post....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Fair play Darren Smile And Ruans does chatter a fair bit!
Thanks given by:
lulwut. Funny thread ; ) Interesting. I thought wastegate's didn't make chatter noises ; )
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Fair play Darren Smile And Ruans does chatter a fair bit!

Heh, for a minute I thought someone's been spending to much time on the GTI forum! tehe

But yeah, Ruan pretty much summed up compressor stall there in 2 paragraphs, no idea what all the wastegate spring natter is about heh
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Hahaha Big Grin Chronically bad week at work mate! Just couldnt be arsed with someone being a little bit arsey!

Ive always read that wastegate chatter is a load of bollocks! But what Ruan said makes perfect sense. End thread?
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Hardly makes you an expert in any way does it, talking down to people on here being billy big balls. Ian was discussing and you just make him look like a c*nt. Not really the way forward is it?

Oh I wasnt discussing. Someone else was. I merely said that Dum-Dum had made an assumption on others knowledge. I dont like to big myself up and declare my vast knowledge of motorcars, truth is, I know a lot more than I let on, and I dont even do it for a living. I made my comment because without knowing every single member personally, such a comment was a stupid one to make.

Popcorn
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Ian Wrote:Oh I wasnt discussing. Someone else was.

Was me Tongue
Thanks given by:
SonnyRoby Wrote:T25 hybrid chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtn_4-VaHoA

love the sound of the chatter Big Grin
[Image: jhhjjhjhjh.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds good - yes.

Shags turbocharger bearings - yes.

Wastegate Chatter is a myth and someone who knows nothing about turbos once said it - yes.

Can we end the thread now?

And before everyone goes on about petrols doing it, they run lower boost levels, sort of 8psi, but high shaft speeds and the noise is massively accentuated as they have a throttle plate... For a Diesel to be doing it, you're annhialating the poor bearings...

EDIT: I forgot I am a moderator, locked!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch Pump Chatter jammapic 67 28,676 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31