Servicing HDi advice need

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Servicing HDi advice need
So my car has been standing for nearly 1 year since doing the MOT on it. So I plan to get it on the road again and need to get it ready for its next MOT.

I plan to change the engine and gearbox oil.

Maybe filters? (fuel, air)

I have to do the tensioner pulleys again as they seemed to have started to squeak only after 4k before car got garaged nearly year again. When they where changed I had the low pulley and water pump changed and belts. Should they be done again as they have only done about 4k since.

I plan to go over the brake callipers as I am guessing they are ceased.

Also plan on buy new front discs and pads. I was thinking about the brembo disc's and pads for my gti-6 callipers, are they worth it?

Any hints, tips and advice would be great for when I start working on the car. I want to make sure I get what is needed done and based on that the car has been sitting for basically 1 year now.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Discs are discs really, but mintex seems popular for pads.

Cambelt will be fine.

I suggest you just change the aux belt, not the tensioner, first and see if that gets rid of the squeak. check that it just doesnt need the tension adjusting!

oils be a good idea, filters too if its been a number of miles.

when was last time brake fluid and coolant was changed?? many forget about these, but its not expensive and well worth it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I guess just Peugeot discs or equivalent will be fine then. I will look into the mintex pads.

The aux belt was changed at the same time the cambelt was changed.

I will check out the tension if it needs adjusting first then.

The car basically only did about 4k miles last year and 90% of that was on the motorway in Europe.

The coolant was changed 2 year ago before the summer and again that year to winter mix.

Dont think I have done a complete brake fluid change only part when I was doing the brakes.

cheers
Thanks given by:
depending on the coolant, it may need doing....different types have different time changes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Second the mintex pads, made a substantial difference over cheap factor parts.

If you're changing filters i'd recommend using genuine peugeot stuff, same goes for the gearbox oil. I've discovered comma gearbox oil of the right spec starts feeling notchy after the first few thousand miles, had it happen on two cars in a row, figured it was the box the first time. Sad
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-07-2013, 06:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: Second the mintex pads, made a substantial difference over cheap factor parts.

If you're changing filters i'd recommend using genuine peugeot stuff, same goes for the gearbox oil. I've discovered comma gearbox oil of the right spec starts feeling notchy after the first few thousand miles, had it happen on two cars in a row, figured it was the box the first time. Sad

Thirdededed on mintex!
Thanks given by:
the mintex pads are freaking expensive mind
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Really? I got a full set of discs and pads for about £60 delivered off ebay, not bad for consumer prices imo.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
are others here not talking about the top end track/road mintex pads?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
He hasn't said he wanted track pads, so no lol. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Definitely go with what Poodle said regarding oil.......especially the gearbox oil (not expensive for the 2l you'll need from the dealer). Using genuine filters are also a damn good idea.

If you can afford Mintex 1144 front pads (around £90) they're well worth the money, especially in 6 callipers Wink
Thanks given by:
For the price of coolant I may as well change it. I was told there are 2 types red and a blue(?) which one is suitable for the HDi?

I normally buy filters from motorquip guess I will buy these from Peugeot next time, but I remember using a Peugeot oil filter on the winter change.

The engine oil at the moment is Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40 Fully Synthetic which seems to be pretty decent stuff I used this for winter set-up. I was thinking to go with that same stuff again or the Shell Helix Diesel Ultra. Before that I had some 10/40w not sure on brand.

The gearbox oil is Castrol gear oil had to buy this when I was out somewhere in Europe to top up. What manufacture is Peugeot's gearbox oil by?

I am after road use brakes as I don't really want to have to get heat into them for them to work effectively.
Which Mintex pads are your guys using? So are the Mintex 1144 front pads ok for non track use? So should I buy front discs from Peugeot?
Thanks given by:
Total is what pug use.

I was commenting on the standard mintex pads, £90 is a lot to pay for pads that wont ever be used in anger.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
no need to pay silly money for genuine filters when all pug do is get them from fram etc and put a pug sticker on them!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
thanks for your advice guys.

I will just get filters from motorquip, gearbox oil from Pug and some oil 5w/10 oil I guess from Pug also should get them on trade from these places making it a little cheaper.

I am still deciding on the best option for brakes though.

Plan to start working on the car hopefully next week.
Thanks given by:
no need to be £raped with engine oil at pug...get that at your motor factors
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2013, 08:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: no need to be £raped with engine oil at pug...get that at your motor factors

Big Grin fair does will get some from my motor factors

Will be nice to get the car out of the garage and give it a good old wash and polish!
Thanks given by:
ECP Pagid stuff is fine for normal use, not sure if you're looking for uprated or not?
Oil is 5/40, halfords have it £10 for 4 litres if your quick!
Thanks given by:
but you need 4.5litres!!

these 4litre tubs are a flipping con!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I dont mind road/fast road stuff just not track as in the winter they wont be good for me.

£ 10 is a good price I will head down tomorrow and get some. Wonder if I can get it cheaper with the Halford trade card Big Grin Thanks for the heads up.

(26-07-2013, 09:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: but you need 4.5litres!!

Ah ok. Even then seems a good deal buying 2 or just a 1L bottle depending on the price.

But I get your point there it being a bit of a con.

I do have 2L left of shell 5w/10 is it advisable to mix or not?
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2013, 09:06 PM)Piggy Wrote: but you need 4.5litres!!

No problem having a bit of spare oil at home is there?
I'd top up the .5 with the shell oil, can't see it doing much harm.
Thanks given by:
As long as the oil weights and type are the same it'll be fine to mix.

Piggy, remember we've got the luxury of knowing what filters are rebranded by pug and are able to save a couple of quid buying them direct. Half the time pug stuff is about the same price as motor factors anyway, its not much of a difference when it is more exensive. Besides, better the op knows theyre getting the right stuff than buying a fuel filter from halfords and it causing running issues or whatever.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ECP for the win...

huge sale on this weekend and free delivery Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I always fork out for better oil, seems pretty crucial, unless you don't mind buying cheap and changing very frequently? But it's like an extra tenner a year for something decent, and the reassurance that it's not going to have the lubricity of water in 5k
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Thanks, I will crack on with all this hopefully next week if I get a chance.
Thanks given by:
I serviced the engine last week so that I could start the engine up at least and move it to a better location to service out of the storage location.

So oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter changed so far.

Ended up buying 5 litres of Total oil instead. The drained oil was pretty clean, but then the car only did about 4k miles before it got put into storage.

I decided to keep the standard 266 brakes on for now as they have plenty of meat left on them so no point wasting them.

Plans for this weekend will be to go over the brakes and renew the brake fluid and coolant. Will try to look into the squeak but more likely next week for that when I have more time.

Primed the fuel a few times and the engine started straight away with no hesitation which is a great think to hear Smile
Thanks given by: