Nightmare day, few problems!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nightmare day, few problems!

Well first of all to start the day i had a nice 8 hour drive from newcastle to warminster in a dump truck, all went swimmingly but knackered when i got back to camp, jumped in the 306 to drive home all fine for twenty odd miles.....

I looked at the dash randomly as you do and seen the stop light iluminate and the coolant temp all the way into the red! pulled over and there was coolant every where! 2 hours later and the AA arive and bodged it back together again....

basically the heater matrix hose from the thermostat housing had shat itself, probally coroded from the inside out from when there was oil in the pipes when the head gasket went last year or so...

A few pics from the scene.......

[Image: image_zps1f9203dc.jpg]

[Image: image_zpse45d94b3.jpg]

[Image: image_zpsa64f17ef.jpg]

[Image: image_zps837d4229.jpg]
[b]

For while now I've been getting a 'scuffing' noise from my left wheel arch area almost like my tyre is rubbing against the liner (its not tho) only when turning left and also only when its in gear too Confused I've also noticed i can feel 'it' through my handbrake as well...... Confused ain't the word.... Could it be shaft related, gearbox etc etc if it was the box why would i feel the scuffing through the handbrake?

Any ideas guys??

3#

After getting fixed/bodged by the AA i got home fine temp seemed fine etc jumped out of the car went to lock it and the central locking didn't work... Check the relevant fuse and low and behold it had blown changed it over and it kept blowing them! what shall i check next?

Any input and help appreciated had a shit end to the day!
[Image: image_zps738f3eaa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Any help appreciated guys need it all sorted as its my daily drive, 300 miles a week
Thanks given by:
Checked for anything rubbing against the shafts ?
Thanks given by:
Yea theres nothing touching it dude :/ the thing that baffles me is that it only does it in gear Confused
Thanks given by:
For the central locking, does the fuse protect anything else? If so, something maybe shorting from the coolant leak, could be ok when dry! If not, probably a broken door loom and a coincidence.

For the 'scuff', possibly a rear shoe chatching on the drum, so you could feel it down the handbrake cable....
Thanks given by:
Can't think why it'd make a scrubbing noise, maybe the box is on its way as they're common problems on TU's but that'd be a complete guess

I had a box go on my last one always used to scrub on the left front before the change but didn't affect the drive after 10kish 5th was hard to get in and shortly after it died completely
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys appreciate your help, tom the headunit isn't working, indicators, elec mirrors now, i also had a brain wave earlier and think something has got wet from the leak but cant see what, theres a few plugs in the general area of the leak but all seem fine.....

As for the scrubage, i hadn't thought about the rear drum although it definitely sounds like its coming from the front of the car

The box is silky smooth changed the oil with gen pug recommended stuff a while ago and goes in to gear a treat
Thanks given by:
Ah right, yeah try another fuse tomorrow when everything should've dried out then.

And I missed where you said front scuff, my bad lol. You sure it's not catching the inside bit of the arch liner? The flat bit where the gearbox plug is behind.
Thanks given by:
Could be a cv joint worth checking your boots, try find the speed it vibrates when turning and try do it in 3rd might give you a better clue whether its the box or shafts
Thanks given by:
no ive checked all obvious places guys, only does it when its in gear so its strange, il give that a try later tonight after work! electrics are super fubar, i think instead of stripping the loom to find the short circuit imn going to swap the loom i think......
Thanks given by:
Quick update for anyone who gives a shit! Stripped the loom out dryed it redressed it etc to no avail! The car is getting scrapped as i cant be arsed with it! Such a shame because the running gear is immaculate! Il be sad to see it go Angry it will pave way for a new daily though Smile really got the itch for a 106 gti ! Thoughts??
Thanks given by:
106 GTi as a daily? Confused

Maybe as a bit of fun for weekends but I'd want something comfortable and economical for a daily lol. Seems a bit pointless having two uncomfortable, uneconomical cars to me but up to you obviously lol.
Thanks given by:
106 aint that bad on fuel Smile and the subaru bucket seats a so comfortable too, my heart is telling me hdi but finding a decent 3 door let alone one in a good coulour :/
Thanks given by:
All sorted now! It was a short circuit in the audio wiring ! Cheers for the help boyos
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 05:48 PM)k3ogh Wrote: All sorted now! It was a short circuit in the audio wiring ! Cheers for the help boyos

Shame i didn't spot this earlier, was gonna suggest tracing the cable back.

Are you keeping her then?
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Yea i timk so im on the hunt for a decent low mile hdi in a decent colour though Smile
Thanks given by: