Handbrake Cables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake Cables
Had to change the rear calipers yesterday so I bought new handbrake cables as I knew mine wouldn't come out but now I'm having some problems.

The passenger side one is tight and holds but seems longer than the old one because the there seems to be some excess under the car.
Drivers side one isn't holding properly but when you look under the car the cable is tight to the body.

The block they go into at the handbrake is being pulled by the passenger side cable too so isn't straight how it should be.

Looking on ECP there seems to be some slight variation between the lengths, but I'm not sure what I should do tbh. I think I got them right as I did them one at a time and double checked part numbers to make sure I had the correct side in my hand.
Thanks given by:
The passenger side one is longer, about a cm iirc. So sounds like they're the right way round.

Why won't it hold though? Do you mean it seems too slack on the drivers side?
Thanks given by:
The sliders on the drivers side calliper aren't stuck are they?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
These are the lengths of them off ECP

Rear Left 1696
Rear Right 1595

Not stuck I don't think as the arms move it's just that one cable has tightened up before the other.
Thanks given by:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:These are the lengths of them off ECP

Rear Left 1696
Rear Right 1595

Not stuck I don't think as the arms move it's just that one cable has tightened up before the other.

Yeah OK so the arm moves, that mean the handbrake mech is free but what about the actual sliders where the calliper bolts onto the car?? because they are the normal problem that makes the handbrake shit as when you pull the handbrake the stuck calliper will only push the brake pad onto the disc on the inside and not the outside............
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:These are the lengths of them off ECP

Rear Left 1696
Rear Right 1595

Yeah OK so the arm moves, that mean the handbrake mech is free but what about the actual sliders where the calliper bolts onto the car?? because they are the normal problem that makes the handbrake shit as when you pull the handbrake the stuck calliper will only push the brake pad onto the disc on the inside and not the outside............

Sliders are ok I think, looked like both sides were moving when I fitted them.

Peal is harder than before now too but at least it has pressure unlike before I changed the calipers.
Thanks given by:
Thinking I'll just get the old cables cut out the old calipers, they worked well enough.
Thanks given by:
Old cables did go back on but one snapped last night so I'm back to the same problem again, drivers side one is so much longer than the other when I tighten the block up the passenger side will be tight while the other is still loose.

Pissing me off tbh, shouldn't have this sort of trouble just to change a couple handbrake cables.

[Image: F77WE.jpg]

As you can see, one is easily over an inch longer than the other.
Thanks given by:
Don't really understand what's gone on there if they are both connected at the caliper end for that photo. Measured the old cable lengths? Seems the drivers is too long.

I bought genuine Peugeot cables as it was only something like £28 for the pair and I did them when I changed the beam. I didn't have any such troubles.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
dont hold me to this but i think the only difference between drum and disc cables is length. might of got the wrong type?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I sorted it in the end, got another pair of cables from ECP and they're both the right lengths. Different part numbers to the ones I got from them before, old part numbers don't come up on the site at all now so not sure what's gone on there tbh but at least the cables are ok and it all works now Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi handbrake cables procta 15 2,733 17-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii
  hdi clutch cables procta 5 1,591 19-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Alan_M
  Handbrake cables Bananalad 6 2,195 24-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Bananalad