Camping at Meets/Shows

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Camping at Meets/Shows
Just a quick guide for those who have never camped at a meet or a show before. Camping meets range from a few members in a back garden to 60+ of us at FCS.

First up you'll want to know why you should camp rather than staying in a hotel. Well there's a few reasons, If you have camping gear or can borrow it then its cheaper for a start. Its just as comfy as a hotel if you get a decent air bed, you can drink as much as you like with the rest of the club and not have to worry about getting back to the hotel and finally 95-100% of the club camps at meets so you'll get to hang out with the rest of us which mainly involves laughing till it hurts and talking about 306s in a friendly chilled environment.

Just make sure your empties go in a bin.

So now you know you want to camp what are the essentials? Well technically there isn't anything you actually need. If your happy eating food that dosen't need cooking then that solves that and some idiots people will sleep outside without a tent or even a sleeping bag if the weather is nice.

It is possible to get a double air bed and sleeping bag in the back of a 306 estate and possibly a normal 306 too but its a PITA to get in and out of and also steams the windows up a treat especially if you have to close the boot.

Anyway, you will probably want a tent and a sleeping bag, Tesco value stuff is fine if its warm and dry but if its looking like raining you'll want to spend a few quid on a tent, preferably something with an inner and outer tent as they tend to be more waterproof. As for tent sizing they are in "man" and a man is an average size person lying down on the floor of the tent, the more "man" the tent is the more people will fit but beware of this as they are only an average person size and this doesn't give you any space for luggage. A good rule of thumb is that you want twice the "man" of people who are actually gonna use the tent i.e. if you and the missus are camping then a 3 or 4 man tent will be a good size.

Sleeping bags are rated in seasons. 1 season is summer only. 2 season is late spring - early autumn. 3 season is probably what you'll want and is spring-autumn. 4 season is for hardcore people who camp in the freezing cold. you can get double sleeping bags which are awesome if you like to not have your legs tied together all night. The main thing you'll want if you want comfort though is an air bed, these are a lifesaver, properly comfortable and key to a good nights sleep.

Next up on the things youll want list is something to cook on. Gas stoves like the one below cost less than a tenner and you can get a kettle for it outta pound land which gives you a world of cups of tea, pot noodles, cuppa soup and porridge but you can also be smart, yes you could buy a saucepan and cook pretty much anything on it but if you put a couple of tent pegs across you can stand a tin can over the heat. hold it with pliers and stir with a clean tent peg and that way you can cook anything that comes in a tin. All day breakfast, chilli, hot dogs, beans, veg, rice pudding (mmmmmmmm).

Next cooking option is a BBQ. A pile of red hot coal with a grille over it to cook on. These can reach the best part of 1000*C so do a real good job of killing germs and stuff. Don't use the disposable ones, they are terrible, never really get hot enough, don't really last long enough and are just a recipe for terrible food and food poisoning. The usual thing to cook on a BBQ is sausages and burgers but steak and kebab also works. you can get reall creative on a BBQ if it has different height shelves (for different heat) and you have some tin foil. Genuinely you can do Pizza, Garlic Bread, baked potatoes and a whole load more.

You don't want to cook on a BBQ while it has flames as you'll end up with food black on the outside and pink on the inside.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=9028]

You need to wait till the coals have gone white and glowing red as thats when its properly hot. Don't worry if the flames come back after you've started, it'll just be fat dripping and catching fire.

Finally don't forget some cheese and sauce for your food.

Other things you might want
A torch
A pillow
A chair to sit on
A small table
Club gazebo
Cool box for beer

The golden rules.
Put your rubbish in a bag/bin.
If you wake up in the morning still pissed get someone else to drive your car.
Have fun.

Probably loads I've missed, oh well, its a start.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
sweet guide . . . .that first pic is ancient though, even i'm on it in my gayer than ghey Peugeot cap . . .lol . . .Hmmm now where did i put that? . . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
other essentials
are
cable ties
duct tape
industrial cling film

and a pair of scissors or knife to cut your way out of the above
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 11:12 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: sweet guide . . . .that first pic is ancient though, even i'm on it in my gayer than ghey Peugeot cap . . .lol . . .Hmmm now where did i put that? . . . .Big Grin
Genuinely only 2 years old mate, FCS 2011
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 11:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(23-07-2013, 11:12 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: sweet guide . . . .that first pic is ancient though, even i'm on it in my gayer than ghey Peugeot cap . . .lol . . .Hmmm now where did i put that? . . . .Big Grin

FCS say when? . . . . . . . .Angel
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
don't expect your tent to be in the same place as you pitched it in the morning

don't forget your suncream! ginger spec cream is available for the sensitive members

take plenty of fluids to flush the alcohol from your system

Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 11:18 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(23-07-2013, 11:15 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

FCS say when? . . . . . . . .Angel

Say what? Huh

ninja
Thanks given by:
Lol, should be called "A dummies guide to - Camping". Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Dum . . . . .why do people give you powaaaaaa godamnit! . . .lol
Thanks given by:
almost like a haynes..."how to do manual" lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
My advice? Bring bog roll. The toilet blocks will constantly run out with 60 of us eating undercooked meat and getting the shits, and wiping your arse on a dock leaf is fine, but if you've already opened the bomb bay and THEN notice there isn't any polishing cloth, you probably won't find 'em growing in a cubicle....
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
By sounds of it, a very secure tent is needed for camping around you lot!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hahaha. You guys put me off camping haha. Nutters
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 11:08 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sleeping bags are rated in seasons. 1 season is summer only. 2 season is late spring - early autumn. 3 season is probably what you'll want and is spring-autumn. 4 season is for hardcore people who camp in the freezing cold. you can get double sleeping bags which are awesome if you like to not have your legs tied together all night. The main thing you'll want if you want comfort though is an air bed, these are a lifesaver, properly comfortable and key to a good nights sleep.

Another option for sleeping bags is these

http://www.firebox.com/product/4935/Musu...tAodJRsADg

Epicly warm, dont get tangled up and can walk around in it as most of you will see me (bit difficult to miss. Mines bright yellow Big Grin ) doing this weekend!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Haha, will you be walking round show ground in that also lol
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 03:25 PM)Niall Wrote:
(23-07-2013, 11:08 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sleeping bags are rated in seasons. 1 season is summer only. 2 season is late spring - early autumn. 3 season is probably what you'll want and is spring-autumn. 4 season is for hardcore people who camp in the freezing cold. you can get double sleeping bags which are awesome if you like to not have your legs tied together all night. The main thing you'll want if you want comfort though is an air bed, these are a lifesaver, properly comfortable and key to a good nights sleep.

Epicly warm, dont get tangled up and can walk around in it as most of you will see me (bit difficult to miss. Mines bright yellow Big Grin ) doing this weekend!

Epic!!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 02:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: By sounds of it, a very secure tent is needed for camping around you lot!!
Nah if you lock it they'll just cut into it to ra*e you lol .

(23-07-2013, 02:54 PM)Segers266 Wrote: Hahaha. You guys put me off camping haha. Nutters
Really? whats not to like, loads of beer, loads of laughs and men doing the cooking?

(23-07-2013, 03:25 PM)Niall Wrote:

I so want one of these
Thanks given by:
Also,

If your attending, and you live for Diesel, or raping boost, then you will need to find this circle of people, you will fit in nicely Smile

[Image: 1074566_10151597066802675_1948298826_o.jpg]
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:
(23-07-2013, 02:54 PM)Segers266 Wrote: Hahaha. You guys put me off camping haha. Nutters
Really? whats not to like, loads of beer, loads of laughs and men doing the cooking?

Was on about the pics of the tents being moved etc and the toilet roll issue hahaha. Not the beer drinking and laughs
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 06:02 PM)Segers266 Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:

Was on about the pics of the tents being moved etc and the toilet roll issue hahaha. Not the beer drinking and laughs

TBF it was Foobys tent that got moved and I've certainly never had bog roll issues at a meet/show
Thanks given by:
Oh shh aha I knew what I was on about lol
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Great guide dum! Made my shit day better.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How did anyone forget the lube!!!

Haha.always a messy and fun night camping with eveyone Smile

Dont forget the gazebo as well, other wise were not as good as other clubs out there.
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
(23-07-2013, 11:08 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Just a quick guide for those who have never camped at a meet or a show before. Camping meets range from a few members in a back garden to 60+ of us at FCS.

What you need to do is act like a complete dribbly, get drunk and naked and fall asleep in a fellow member. That's how I've done it for years!

EFA Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Dont think ive ever looked forward to camping before, cant wait! Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
You forgot the obligatory inverting of Fooby's numberplates. And shouting "ooooooowwwwwwww" at Ed. And telling Jonny of your surprise at just how short he is every time you see him. Oh and making Ruan do turbo noises. Or asking Niall and Grant which one's going to ask "the question". Also, ginger jokes, stealth bumming, yells of "scuff", flying penii...

Got to make sure new attendees know how to join in. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Wait. What's 'the question'?

You seem to have forgotten to mention the naked stealth laps around the track to 'test it out'.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
The question that traditionally involves one going down on one knee and presenting a ring to the other, obviously. :p

I didn't forget, i'd just rather not remember hahaha!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahh I see. Honestly, I expected something a lot worse.

I've been around you all way too long.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
In other words then.

Just do camping..
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by: