Possible timing issue post headgasket change?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible timing issue post headgasket change?!
Yes i know we get f*ck loads of these threads and i have read the majority of them which made me think i done this right but i clearly suck and done it wrong somehow.

Right heres the symptoms, running lumpy, sounds like its misfiring, when i rev it the revs hang a bit before dropping down, only a couple hundred rpm for maybe 10seconds sometimes before it returns to a flat steady idle, when the idle is hanging the engine shakes and its lumpy, theres also white smoke, steam coming out the exhaust even when its right up to temp, considering i just done the headgasket it shouldnt be steam. If it is then its for sale because it can f*ck off if im doing that again.

So what i done,
Locked the flywheel off, simple, nothing to go wrong there.
Locked the cam pulley off, again not much that can really go wrong there.
Right now the pump, why does it feel like its sprung? Like it has to be moved with a spanner and held for me to get the screws into the holes? Do i need to turn the pulley a few times to get it into a specific position or something? Anyway i tweaked it with a spanner and put both timing pins in.
I then pulled the belt tight from the idler around the pump onto the cam and held it on the back of the cam whilst i released the tensioner, seen so many of these timing threads i thought i would get this bit right but i must have got something wrong Sad

Hope someone can help, right at the end of my tether now Sad Thanks dudesHeart
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You checked the timing again since you started it?

Is it steam? Or is it white smoke
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
all sounds right to me. theres normally a bit of tension of the pump pulley.

sorry but sounds like theres a leak on the head.

was the head pressure tested?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If im honest i dont know the difference between white smoke or steam :/ Locked the fly and came pump pulley bolts will sort of catch not quite there though :/ Does that mean it a tooth out? It cant be much because it runs and it starts well. Head was skimmed and pressure tested.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
be surprised if its out what with locking it all

are the pipes/rad pressurising quickly?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Dont know, just run it up to bleed the coolant and maker sure it actually ran :/ I know theres a trick with these but can only assume i done something wrong, im pretty sure the headgasket is ok i done everything to the book :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
my concern is the head.

there was a batch of heads that went bad...and didnt show up under pressure testing.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Now im stumped, took the belt off again, fly locked off, cam locked off, pump locked off, belt wont line up, tight around the pump pulley then the lumps on the cambelt hit the lumps on the pulley as if there isnt enough belt up there!? Aarrgh
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Pull tighter
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yeah pull bit harder and push it on at a slight twist...it will go
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Slack the belt off at the tensioner.
Pull belt from crank to pump around idlers, round the cam, then loose the tensioner as much as possible, there will be just enough slack to get it round the tensioner when it's loose if its a brand spankers. It will be tight!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
In the end Darren came and had a look for me, he did mention it was a bit strange but his magic hand hit it and it went on fine! Also had an injector stuck open by this f*cking TINY bit of dirt, which we soon fixed and now shes running good as new! Got a massive boost leak though, and the heater matrix is leaking all over the floor but im getting there.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Timing was a tooth out on the pump and it had a stuck injector, hence Tom was having serious issues getting it running smoothly.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
same issue here; except i was flagged mechanically incompetent Doh

At least it's sorted mate, is it making FCS by the way?! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I wish i was attending FCS but i cant afford the fuel up, not to mention im getting more hours at work lately so i need to take it whilst its there. Way of the world really.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Such a shame! Sad

Give it to dlobb to drive up!
Thanks given by:
Haha yeah right, save taking the vagcrap lol. Im catching a lift in another peugeot from exeter on anyway, so i wont have to arrive in a vagbus!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
good it was sorted Smile

darren to the rescue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The audi of love is epic! Sounds awesome, stalls for a pass time, thats character! Not to mention the screwdriver and cable tie gauge mount!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2013, 01:30 PM)Tom Wrote: Not to mention the screwdriver and cable tie gauge mount!

This!
Thanks given by:
put a bosch on mine lastnight, and im having the exact same issue,lumpy idle, revs drop and rise, dosent seem to rev out properly, and smokes its bag off!
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Put a video up if your stuck man! Mines all good for now.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
pump just needed advancing lol, sorted now.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing / Pump Issue macleod8901 6 1,949 06-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  MLS headgasket enquiries. 205dtub 14 3,936 18-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Last Post: vinny
  Headgasket failure? AdamInNi 3 1,306 31-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Last Post: AdamInNi