Fuel Gauge Problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Gauge Problems
I am having some fuel game problems, which i have been told they are not the best but dont exspect this so

i recently bought a V reg 306 hdi estate Ph3 and i put 20 pounds in and it gave me jsut under half a tank from empty which lasted me 200 miles so i then bought some REDX to clean the old girl out etc and put 50 liters in which first of all have me a full tank. After 6 miles of driving it dropped two 3/4 of a tank which i though yeah ok ithe float is just settlin. after 40 miles of driving it it dropped to under half a tank same reading as if i put 20 pounds it but now and again it goes back up.

i was wondering if its a problem with the fuel float sensor or the clock gauges.

could anybody help me how to fix it??
Thanks given by:
My HDi gauge is shocking. I ran out of fuel a while back and the needle was barely touching the red line, it didn't even occur to be it could have ran out of fuel looking at the gauge.

Basically, I would never trust it. I know that doesn't help you though.
Thanks given by:
mine skips from half to third

either dirty tracks on the float or the dash gauge is dodgy.

fyi: dont put redex in again! awful stuff.

if you guna use a fuel cleaner use Forte
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because of the shape of the tank and the way the gauge works (a float on a resistor that turns through an arc measuring a vertical drop) so the gauge spends alot of time in the middle

Also 50liters is unlikely to of filled it up even if it read full. The tanks are officially 60L but they take nearer 70L

Most people here who are keen on measuring their fuel economy regularly go to the same fuel station and fill up to a certain point (first click, 3rd click or brimmed are the normal) then reset their trip computer. That way the next time you fill up the tank to the same point you know your mileage and exactly how much fuel has gone into the car every time. For me it used to be about 530 miles to a tank.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Piggy Ill use Forte- Whats the difference>?

Dum-dum thanks for the info do you know anyway to solve this/fix it>?
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 04:18 PM)rob-binns Wrote: Thanks Piggy Ill use Forte- Whats the difference>?

redex is crap. I have seen it causes numerous issues. Forte is excellent, top notch stuff.

(17-07-2013, 04:18 PM)rob-binns Wrote: Dum-dum thanks for the info do you know anyway to solve this/fix it>?

its the design of the car!? Huh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 04:18 PM)rob-binns Wrote: Thanks Piggy Ill use Forte- Whats the difference>?

Dum-dum thanks for the info do you know anyway to solve this/fix it>?

I can think of some but they really aren't worth the effort. (they involve custom resistors).

Also I'm a big lover of the millers diesel fuel additive.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for advice Guys! Smile
Thanks given by:
Tried several fuel additives, couldnt get conclusive results from anything except millers, and even was borderline/debatable. Not worth it for the money imo, better off buying premium grade fuel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi fuel problems macleod8901 14 3,303 08-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  306 hdi fuel gauge not correct barnesy213 4 1,692 17-03-2016, 10:56 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Fuel Gauge mattgreene 4 1,147 02-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: mattgreene