headbolt torque without angle gauge?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
headbolt torque without angle gauge?
Been trying this for 20mins and cant work it out, i cant get the spring and the cup to stay in the bottom of the mount whilst trying to the bolt holes to line up, everytime i push down on the mount i either get to a point where its stuck or the spring pings out the bottom and i have to take the mount out and start over! Help please i wanted to get the head on today Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It can be tricky, I made a little tool that slots into the 2 bolt holes at the bottom of the engine bracket and holds the plunger in place. I assemble the bracket, plunger and tool on the bench then put it on the car. Remove the tool from the bracket once the tensioner is in situ. This is what is recommended in Haynes as far as I recall.

I have also used length of 8mm rod bent at right angles at the end, which allowed me with some difficulty to pull the plunger up so I could get the tensioner on, but a lot more fiddly than the above method.
Thanks given by:
Making tools isnt really an option for me :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
got any pics...cant think what you are working on
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It should be possible to make a plunger-holder-backer with some of this and a couple of M8 bolts:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/hardware/iron...Id=9293623

...I'll try and get a picture of my bodged up one when I get home.
Thanks given by:
Sorted now. Another darrenjlobb video to the rescue.... headbolts! 30nm 70nm then 120degrees.... i dont have an angle thing so barry then up tight?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Has the title of the post changed Huh

Headbolts, I would be careful with these. Isn't it 220 you want? An angle gauge in Halfords isn't too expensive, but I have done it before using a protractor and some tip-ex to mark the amount to be turned through. This could be difficult depending on access around the engine. Best do it properly, you really don't want to cut corners at this stage.
Thanks given by:
Im thinking quatter turn on them all which is 90degrees then another "bit" so its nearenough to 120 :/ not like it matters if they're a bit tighter??
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
You wanna go careful, im pretty sure you turn them x amount of degrees and then after another x amount of degrees
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just do them all to torques, then do them all 90 (put breaker bar on, pick a point 90 degree (rightangle) away from wher eyou start, and do them all, then do them all half of 90 and ull be fine.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
The pdf we have stickied at the top of this section says 30, 70 and 120degrees so i done upto 70 but then was looking for an answer like Darrens which is spot on so cheers guys Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
What do people use to tighten head bolts. I did mine to the torques but when on the angles the bit i have just twists and looks on the verge of snapping.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ARP Headbolt group buy blinkyeatu 2 1,030 13-01-2016, 03:50 PM