classic insurance age?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
classic insurance age?
So guys just wondering if you have to be a certain age to be able to get classic insurance or can you do it regardless?
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
the 'classic' refers to the age of the car, not the driver! lmao

but the older you are, the better from an insurers point of view....my grandads driving would argue that, but hey ho!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 06:31 AM)Piggy Wrote: the 'classic' refers to the age of the car, not the driver! lmao

I think that much is obvious? Confused

Most insurers no longer offer classic insurance to under-25s. There used to be a nice loophole where a 17yo could get a classic car and insure it on the cheap.

Fact is, classic insurance is cheap because it's meant to be for ocassional use (as you'd expect of a classic car). So you may also find that you're very limited on your annual mileage anyway.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
25 most of the time for a classic car policy
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Like I said on fb mate, pretty much always 25, and if not 25 it's 21 Sad
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
On a slight tangent, what experiences have people had regarding what age of car qualifies for classic insurance? Anyone on here running classic insurance?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 09:29 AM)Poodle Wrote: On a slight tangent, what experiences have people had regarding what age of car qualifies for classic insurance? Anyone on here running classic insurance?

I'm on the lookout for a 205 GTI at the moment, and I've been told any 205 GTI will qualify, and the newest are 20 year old now. I think it's usually roughly 20 years...

Incidentally, £191 for a 1.9 GTI Big Grin
Thanks given by:
thats a bargain...just need the 3grand for a mint gti now!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 10:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: thats a bargain...just need the 3grand for a mint gti now!

Saving up Smile
Thanks given by:
Surely they are limited mileage though?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 06:31 AM)Piggy Wrote: the 'classic' refers to the age of the car, not the driver! lmao

but the older you are, the better from an insurers point of view....my grandads driving would argue that, but hey ho!

also it depends on the car too,
I had to pull kris knott insurance about their classic car policy shite, as they had a one for cars over 15 years old, ( my rover was 17 years old at the time)
they wouldn't even entertain it as it wasn't something like a alfa or a mini! I told them, so well if your only gonna recognise certain cars, then your advertisement is highly miss leading then! they sharp pulled the advertisement!
also a lad that was on the metro owners club, had a Austin metro 998cc on an F plate. he was 17 at the time, he couldn't get insured on it. as some insurers wanted daft money or would touch it due to the age of the car,
I didn't bother insuring my metro as a classic as with it been modified. as I don't think you can get modified classic car policies.
Thanks given by:
I'm planning on insuring mine as a classic/modified with limited mileage as soon as i turn 25 in 2 months. Prob won't be doing any more than 2k miles a year as its a second car
Thanks given by:
As a rule of thumb, 21 is the age where you'll find some companies quote, more often than not it is 25 though.

It also has to be a classic 'risk' too.

For example, John Smith with his 1993 Mondeo 1.8 estate worth £300 using his vehicle for his job as a painter & decorator doing 15k a year as his only vehicle, is not a classic risk, even though his car is 20 years old

But David Smith on his 1993 Volkswagen Golf 1.8 worth £1500 who also owns another car, who does under 5k a year for social domestic & pleasure use only, IS a classic risk.

You will find a real classic policy is design for a second vehicle with low mileage per year, social domestic and pleasure use, with NCB being used on the every day car.

Hope this helps!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  classic car insurance DeeTurbo 11 8,455 31-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
  A great visit - Classic Cars,Brewery,Old Airfield maxaret 6 2,322 12-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Best place to sell classic mini. bashbarnard 14 2,428 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: RetroPug