Starter motor spinning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor spinning
Hi I'm having many problems with my second engine. All set up in a boat and went to start but it stopped suddenly so checked the head and the cam shaft was broke so got another head and set up with new belt and set the torque put all back together then went to turn over but all I get it the spinning sound of the motor bought another starter motor and that does the same so I turned the engine a bit by hand and tried again and first of all it moved a bit but was very rough then it started just to spin again again I could fill the teeth on the drive plate but they seem fine could I have broke something else like I said the engine turns fine by hand. Going to look for another xud engine if some one comes up with one then will pull this one part and recondition it over time

Ps didn't put any full stops as I read that this is not used

Thanks to all
Thanks given by:
IN a boat!? Confused

is the engine spinning or the starter just spinning but no engaging?

if its the starter just spinning and not engaging, check for the starter actually making contact with the flywheel...maybe wrong starter/flywheel.
alternatively, new starter!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Check the wiring to the starter, remember essentially although the starter is one unit the wires have to connected to engage the solenoid... Sounds to me like the motor has power but the solenoid doesn't...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
thats a good call... Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 06:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: IN a boat!? Confused

is the engine spinning or the starter just spinning but no engaging?

if its the starter just spinning and not engaging, check for the starter actually making contact with the flywheel...maybe wrong starter/flywheel.
alternatively, new starter!

I think the motor is Is engaging as if I crank the engine a little by hand it turns slightly by starter afterwards but is a very crunchy then just spins. I was told that all the starter motors are the same for the 1.9, so is the information I've been given wrong. I will look to see if it dos engage properly.
Thanks given by:
XUD starters are not Bendix gear arrangements, they are pure solenoid...

The solenoid not only powers the starter but also pushes the pinon onto the flywheel to make it engage... If it's just spinning I'd say that it's a solenoid failure OR an electrical fault

I.E. If they crunch at all, they should stay crunching like f*ck!

That definitely points to a solenoid issue if it crunches a little then spins...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 12:35 AM)Ruan Wrote: XUD starters are not Bendix gear arrangements, they are pure solenoid...

The solenoid not only powers the starter but also pushes the pinon onto the flywheel to make it engage... If it's just spinning I'd say that it's a solenoid failure OR an electrical fault

I.E. If they crunch at all, they should stay crunching like f*ck!

That definitely points to a solenoid issue if it crunches a little then spins...

Hi thanks I will investigate today
Thanks given by:
Hi I been down the boat today and tried again with the starter motor. Took the engine off the bel housing and took a look with a mirror. The teeth on the motor did look to small as someone mentioned so I went to a supplier and they looked into it for me. They showed me on their computer that there are about 5 different types of starter to fit the 306. He fortunately had one in stock with more teeth on the starter than mine so I bought it for £70 with a trade in of my old one. The teeth and cog are much bigger than my one. Fitted it and tried but again it turned a little but then started crunching but not spinning this time. Turned by hand and still ok. Plan now is to lift the engine out on Monday and block up and turn over so I can see what's going on. Fed with it now the cost so far has cost much more than I can afford but determine to get up and running. The other engine runs sweet and did not have much trouble setting this up.
Thanks given by:
Do you know what flywheel it is using? Where it's from?
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 08:57 PM)Ruan Wrote: Do you know what flywheel it is using? Where it's from?

It came with another xud engine as it was easier to use than the other one that came with the engine. As the plate was more flat. But the overall size was he same. Do they have a number on them so I can locate the correct starter.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ph1 starter motor relay box? BenDturbo1 4 1,043 23-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle
  Starter motor; XUD/XU10 ginge191 6 1,757 19-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Rich306
Exclamation Car won't start? Starter Motor? silverzx 12 2,912 19-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Last Post: silverzx