Weak rear brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weak rear brakes
Happy to announce that my 306 passed it's MOT retest yesterday! But got an advisory for rear brake..... Apparently they are very weak and only just passed, recommended repair or replace.

Any common rear brake problems I should be aware of? The brake load sensing valve was a fail first time around because it was seized.

Cheers
Mark
Thanks given by:
Has it got discs or drums on the back?
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 09:48 AM)Frosty Wrote: Has it got discs or drums on the back?

Drums unfortunately Sad
Thanks given by:
Might just need a clean and adjust then
Thanks given by:
sounds like just a service needed...
the drums on a 306 can be seriously good!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You need to adjust the rear drum adjusters, as long as the cylinders are not leaking. It might also be worth using a rough grade of sandpaper to lightly sand the shoes and inside surface of the drum but you don't want to go too hard and create uneven surfaces. Have a look on the MOT checklist for a picture of the rear drum's components. You will need a 32mm socket to undo the hubnut. Don't forget to release the handbrake or the drum won't come off.
Thanks given by:
its likely if theres a lip, the adjuster needs slackening to remove the drum at all.

Also, before adjusting, the handbrake cables needing slackening off from inside the car, as many adjust the handbrake this way
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, I will crack open the drums, clean and adjust them and hopefully this will solve it! Checked the cylinders over before the retest and they are fine no signs of leaking. Another job for the weekend..... and I thought the Lotus was hard work Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasty vibration coming from the rear brakes johnny625 9 3,957 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: johnny625
  What Rear Brakes Do I Have cateraxe 7 2,230 07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Last Post: miles
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,582 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle