Thrust bearing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thrust bearing
so the other day the hdi all of a sudden developed a whine , loud ish. with in the last 50 mile its got dramatically worse, a lot louder, now feels kind of grindy.

when reving up to 375-450 rpm hitting the clutch and shifting quickly you get a nasty very load grinding/rattle

Also when you press the clutch in on idle you get a dull rattle again.

Im thinking this has to be the thrust bearing? any one had one go in a hdi before ? similar symptoms?

Personaly never heard/seen this come up on a hdi seems un common

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Yeah mine went.
No symptoms just collapsed made a mess of clutch and pressure plate.

Don't repair it you're car will never run again. Ti?e to scrap
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Kent, just because you couldn't fix a one horse race, doesn't mean puglove should be scrapping his car. Rolleyes

Sounds like the release bearing mate, get it fixed immediately, don't risk it. From what i've seen, you get very little warning when these go, if any.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 09:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: Kent, just because you couldnt fix a one horse race, doesnt mean puglove shpuld be scrapping his car. Rolleyes

Sounds like the release bearing mate, get it fixed immediately, don't risk it. From what i've seen, you get very little warning when these go, if any.

Haha

But yeah don't hang around get it done ASAP. I had no warning so feel lucky you got some
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 09:05 PM)Poodle Wrote: Kent, just because you couldn't fix a one horse race, doesn't mean puglove should be scrapping his car. Rolleyes

cheers alex, how big of a job is it? I think I may have over exaggerated its prob more like 20-30 miles, its gone from nothing to really bad, i'll get on it next week then

Thanks given by:
Its enough of a pita you may as wel do the clutch while you're there. Yeah I wouldn't drive it mate, if it goes theres the potential for it to do damage when it goes - saw one recently that had smashed out the fork and most of the webbing, then scored the hell out of the shaft for good measure, whole gearbox was scrap. Confused
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yeah plan is to get the clutch ready for S2 while Im in there, is there any sort of guide to point me in any sort of direction? iv never had a box off before

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 08:44 PM)puglove Wrote: any one had one go in a hdi before ? similar symptoms?

Umm, loads of people have this problem! lol

Myself and Rowell managed to do the clutch on his estate (because the bearing exploded!) so it isn't too hard. We made guide I think, or followed someone elses, can't remember now tbh. Search for a guide though, there is one. Smile

Interestingly, the one in my HDi whined from buying the car until breaking it....pretty much fell apart when I took it off though so glad I didn't drive it any longer!
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 10:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-07-2013, 08:44 PM)puglove Wrote: any one had one go in a hdi before ? similar symptoms?

Umm, loads of people have this problem! lol

Myself and Rowell managed to do the clutch on his estate (because the bearing exploded!) so it isn't too hard. We made guide I think, or followed someone elses, can't remember now tbh. Search for a guide though, there is one. Smile

Interestingly, the one in my HDi whined from buying the car until breaking it....pretty much fell apart when I took it off though so glad I didn't drive it any longer!

Iirc we followed a guide.
I've heard it happen alot to. The thrust bearing seizes and collapse. We tried putting a bit of copper grease on.

Couldn't tell you weather it worked or not though
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
dead easy puglove...

jack up n support car. give yourself lots of room
strip all the parts getting in the way inc starter, clutch cable , gear change rods, battery n tray etc
drain box
remove shafts
support engine and remove gearbox mounting.
remove the 5 (?) bolts around the bell housing holding the box on

leave a top one in hand tight!

now lower the engine support (jack) so the gearbox points down...to miss the chassis leg

support gearbox...friends helpful...
remove final bolt

slide gearbox off. levers sometimes required as its on dowels

replace clutch and bearing and whap it back in.

Smile

PS pointless doing all that and just putting a bit of grease on it!!!
you have the advantage over xud boys of not having the ballache of the pull clutch fork...so all good
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nice cheers James. Fairly straight forward then. I'll get the bits ordered and get stripping next week then Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Id suggest a last check to make sure evrrything is clear before lowering the box end down, nothing worse than getting halfway through pulling it off the splines only to find theres an earth strap hanging on, especially if you're doing it by yourself.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yeah its handy to remove the large gearbox mount stud too which points up...get be a pita when removing box.

shame it aint the right time...was hoping to bring beers and lower the 2.1 with you as you done so many times...I done a gbox 100s of times...hope all goes well. you got me number if you get stuck
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You have to remove that stud, cant get it out otherwise as the engine is far too big for the bay. It's not actually a difficult job, its just lack of space that makes it a pain.

This is the guide that we loosely followed. But we pulled the box right out to make the clutch change easier.

If I was doing it again, I'd definitely remove the hub nuts and shafts, rather than just the bottom ball joint.

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-4919-pos...#pid104547
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 06:25 AM)Poodle Wrote: Id suggest a last check to make sure evrrything is clear before lowering the box end down, nothing worse than getting halfway through pulling it off the splines only to find theres an earth strap hanging on, especially if you're doing it by yourself.

Again cheers for the help Big Grin

(11-07-2013, 06:46 AM)Piggy Wrote: yeah its handy to remove the large gearbox mount stud too which points up...get be a pita when removing box.

shame it aint the right time...was hoping to bring beers and lower the 2.1 with you as you done so many times...I done a gbox 100s of times...hope all goes well. you got me number if you get stuck

We maybe able to sort something out with your beam when the time comes ThumbsUp

(11-07-2013, 09:07 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You have to remove that stud, cant get it out otherwise as the engine is far too big for the bay. It's not actually a difficult job, its just lack of space that makes it a pain.

This is the guide that we loosely followed. But we pulled the box right out to make the clutch change easier.

If I was doing it again, I'd definitely remove the hub nuts and shafts, rather than just the bottom ball joint.

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-4919-pos...#pid104547

Cheers tom, very helpful mate Big Grin

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thrust bearing noise?? PugLover1984 10 2,046 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Poodle