Twin Turbo idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Turbo idea
This could be well wrong and never work but unless it is a guaranteed no no I want to try.

My thought is to leave the t2 turbo where it is but use the boost it makes to spool something bigger. This would mean that a mesh filter would do well on the T2 to help it spool quicker as non of the boost from it will ever make it to the engine. The T2 would be connected completely standard to the exhaust system removing engine gases. The T2 to intercooler pipe would be re routed to feed the hot side of a bigger turbo (maybe a gt28). The waste gas from this could then just be dumped under the car (its only air).

Would any of this work, will the T2 at 25 Psi be enough to spool a gt28, there will be no back pressure on the bigger bine with no exhaust length. AND it should run cooler due to there never being hot gases warming up the second turbo. (I know hot gases help to spool)

As said could be way off the mark here so any thoughts suggestions welcome

[Image: ttidea.jpg]
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
In my head, I dont think it will work...... :think: Because your using 25psi of T2 power to spin the bigger turbo, and surely that then wouldnt produce much more than 25psi (maybe 30ish depending on hot side/cold side sizes) because the force on the hotside is 25psi and therefore the coldside would struggle to spin fast enough to produce any more air.

Infact, the bigger turbo would probably produce less psi because it will be spinning slower than the T2? The amount of air being forced out of a small T2 coldside into a bigger 'big turbo' hotside will have more space to fill before it spins the hotside as fast.

Confuzling, but I think I know what I mean lol
Thanks given by:
Way overly complicated...

And no, a T2 cold side would NEVER spool a GT28... It's the expansion of hot gasses that really make the turbo spin...

Even if that would work, you've got a tiny T2 hotside on the engine, you'd strangle the engine...

And even if you did try a twin turbo idea, I really hate to say it... But there's people who will agree with me on this one, VNT it, half the effort but as good... As I've said many times, my car is less laggy than a GT15 and has more power than a T25...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I was always taught that a compound turbo set up had the larger turbo (GT28 in this case), feeding into the smaller turbo.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Fair enough! As said just an idea, I was hoping tat the t2 would have enough guts to spool something else without any backpressure but I see what you all mean.

Ruan: VNT's scare the fook out of me, dont get me wrong I can see all the benefits but the setup does not look straight forward!!!!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Heh good idea, but deffo wouldn't work...the amount of energy in the exhaust gases to spool up the turbo is chonic, and a little puf from a t2 wouldn't come close that's for sure..

Toby you are correct with your compound theory....

Tbh unless you are wanting to go mad, a VNT will replace most twin turbo setups...it still wont produce the same air / band as a well setup twin turbo setup, but is alot less effort, and will for most needs far surpass expectations....two VNT's in compound however....Wink possibilities are endless!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
*Cough* 3067V compounded with a 4082KLV...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  N/A head on a Turbo engine=Bad idea or not? johnny625 3 1,597 19-11-2022, 05:44 PM
Last Post: johnny625
  just had a very pikey idea bashbarnard 15 3,178 21-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Any idea's? Gaz85 1 894 23-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93