URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT HELP REQUIRED
Im having so much luck before FCS...

decided to fit my lower strut brace today. Took the passenger side bolt off no problem. The drivers side came out about 10mm and then there was a cracking noise.

Now the bolt and the nut it bolts into are both spinning together which means I cant do it up so its safe to drive or take it completely out to fit the strut brace!

The hole is too small to get anything more than a 15mm spanner in and the nut is at least 18mm! There is a metal rectangular shaped piece which i believe is meant to hold the nut into some kind of housing to stop it from spinning.

Either way its f*cked! Ideas?
Thanks given by:
Mole grip the thread and turn the bolt ??
Thanks given by:
literally cant get anything onto the nut. there is a 15mm x 7mm access to it. Ive tried wedging a screwdriver in to stop the nut from turning but the screwdriver got stuck Sad
Thanks given by:
Remove whats in your way
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2013, 03:58 PM)the milkman Wrote: Remove whats in your way

the entire subframe? D:
Thanks given by:
Weld the nut to the chassis to stop it spinning or If you can't get in cut a hole for access your only options unless someone has a better idea
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
ok got pictures...

The nut on the left of the front part of the wish bone keeps rotating...
[Image: IMG_20130724_165841_zps8481ac11.jpg]

on the left in this photo you can see the hole...
[Image: IMG_20130724_165851_zpsd1d72e85.jpg]

and the bolt pulls out this far with no resistance. So the nut has about 15mm movement inside whereever it should be!
[Image: IMG_20130724_165934_zpsee15248e.jpg]

another photo...
[Image: IMG_20130724_165927_zpsdbfb6647.jpg]

and this is part of the metal U shaped thing that fell on the floor Sad
[Image: IMG_20130724_170211_zps2a767a7f.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That bit of subframe looks f*cked :/ just me?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Grind down an 18mm spanner to get in the hole?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Think best bet is to try and get some weld on that square bit to either make it bigger so it carnt spin in the section or weld it to something solid. Other than that out of ideas lol

Thanks given by:
(24-07-2013, 04:22 PM)Tom Wrote: That bit of subframe looks f*cked :/ just me?

It doesn't look great, there shouldn't be a hole there...
Thanks given by:
By the looks of it that bit that's fallen out maybe stopping the other but don spinning tried puttin it back in ??
Thanks given by:
(24-07-2013, 04:32 PM)Scott Wrote:
(24-07-2013, 04:22 PM)Tom Wrote: That bit of subframe looks f*cked :/ just me?

It doesn't look great, there shouldn't be a hole there...

Sure there is a hole there on every 306 so you can see the square nut thing, all though might be wrong lol

Thanks given by:
Isn't that the stupid crappy thing that holds the bolt right so you can tighten it up? And I have known them to fall off because there not welded on. Grind down the edges of a spanner?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Erm...doesn't that bolt go into a rectangular nut? Doesn't sound good Confused
Thanks given by:
Had this before and literally had a tap a big flat head screw driver into the hole to hold the nut whilst I got the bolt out then I think i used a nissan micra wheel nut as a replacement when it all went back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Thanks given by:
How f*cking tight was it? Must of been hellish.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Angle grinding time!!! :p
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
As a temporary solution, Jam it with a massive flat head and tighten it right up (you can actually get away with them not being that tight) Then replace it right after FCS! That subframe has been wrecked by someone!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Woah, slow down there!

That bolt should be free, there's only about 5 threads in the captive nut. The bolt can be held in by the force being transferred to it by the wishbone, push the hub in while pulling on the bolt, it should come right out.

Edit: Missed the bit about the spinning nut. Blush

There should be a sort-of cage around the nut, can you bend it back into shape, or has it snapped off?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Looks to me like you captive nut has broke loose and spun, this has pushed the mental out creating the hole, which must mean than the metal in your subframe is quite badly rotted, id replace the sub frame personaly

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Super long nose locking vice grips to get in there and hold it with?
Thanks given by:
Them captive nut things will slide in an out if theres no bolt through them, I had to replace one of mine cos it was buggered.. itll move a fraction of a mm until it hits the subframe.. looks like yours is worn out.

As said jam a flat head/chisel etc in there and undo it, and see how fooked subframe is and go from there
Thanks given by:
blahhhh this is not what i wanted right before FCS! D: Hopefully going to see Carl Chambers and a few garages tomorrow. Im thinking the welding the nut to the frame option is the best! Ive tried wedging the nut with a screwdriver but it just ate the screwdriver Sad
Thanks given by:
A whole lot of grinding and dremmeling later I finally got the 18mm spanner in the hole!

[Image: IMG_20130725_114439_zps6cafad59.jpg]

spanner kept flying out and at one point flew so far I couldnt find it. Turned out to be stuck around the engine mount area! Cable tie kept it in whilst I used a 19mm wheel bar to take off the bolt. Then went down to 18mm ratchet once it was easy enough.

Got the bolt out. Strut brace on. Bolt did up perfectly!

SORTED! Big Grin THANKS GUYS! XXX
Thanks given by:
Glad it's sorted Smile
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pug planet -urgent help required! devils_fuel 10 1,569 05-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Last Post: devils_fuel