Lift pump upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lift pump upgrade
Did walbro say why it was unsuitabe for the HDi?

If not id be inclined to call BS and that they just dont have enough diesel knowledge
Thanks given by:
I don't think they'll guarantee them for use with diesel, could be stamdard corporate arse-covering or could be genuine, won't know until you try. As said before, some of the cummins boys use them to produce 600bhp, so should be up to it. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
They said it was only rated to 3 bar?

I got confused myself.

u would need a diesel pump, this is only for use with petrol and fuel injection running from 3 bar pressure. Sorry we can’t help you with that part.

Kind Regards,

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Could you use something like a Facet lift pump?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
The hp versions are rated to over 100psi, so ~7bar. Just google walbro fuel pumps dude, you'll see what I mean.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Is the stock pump frame size the standard GSS 342 size? Think im ready to take the plunge on one of these pumps

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Don't know, should think so, but will see what I can dig up tomorrow.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Seems android won't let me view most of the catalogues... Dodgy Seem to remember this is the one with most detail if anyone else wants a look: http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com/en/...og_en.html
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
FYI, I'm running one of those pumps in my HDi, as I was getting rail pressure low codes when requesting big fuel (circa 100mm3/stroke) at higher rpm. I initially thought it was the HP pump, but on inspection as I've got a huge HP pump I thought it couldn't be, and the HP pump can do lots of work at high rpm.

Swapped lift pump out for a high flow unit, with more pressure capability and no problems whatsoever....

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Been having a think about this and I don't think that the swirl pot is necessarily the way forward as the return line is back to the swirl pot and so the car ends up drawing all the fuel from the return line that would normally of had a little time in the tank to cool down so it could compound the issue of pumping hot fuel.

I think rather than spending £50+ on a swirl pot set up I'd still rather spend that on a decent fuel cooler set up and big fuel lines.

Looking at lift pumps on ebay £40 gets you a cheap copy of a Walbro 255LPH unit but if you stretch to £70 you can get a decent AEM branded 340LPH pump that is thoroughly overkill but for £30 extra is so much the better pump. From loads of adverts I've looked at they all seem to claim that standard lift pumps flow about 135LPH but I'm not sure I believe them.
Thanks given by:
JP, is that one of the walbro units you're running?

Chris, those aem pumps flow at 2.9bar, which is less than standard...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 07:19 AM)Poodle Wrote: Chris, those aem pumps flow at 2.9bar, which is less than standard...

80psi which is about 5.5bar if my maths is right?
Thanks given by:
Oh is it? One i looked at said 43psi, my bad.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah its 255 at 43psi but lower in the spec it lists that itll flow up to 80psi
Thanks given by:
Ah fair. Meh for the price difference i'll pick up a walbro that can pump to 250lph @ 90psi: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walbro-GST400-...231e7a816b
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheaper if you buy a UK one and dont risk getting import charges

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WALBRO-IN-TANK...257304bb1b

TBH with my curent financial situation ill actually end up with the 255lph copy
Thanks given by:
Updated the link already, just grabbed the first example i saw. Sod buying a cheap copy, the whole point of doing in this in the first place is to forestall fuelling problems. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes poodle, walbro one... Works spot on.
JP
Thanks given by:
Orly?? I take it that's what you're running then, what pressure are you running it at? Any issues with installation or differences in running?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No differences in running as noticed. I guess at the end of the day, the HP pump just gets an easier time. I can request like 100mm3 of diesel at 2500rpm with no p0230 code which I used to get.

In terms of installation, it goes in easily with a few mods to the casing to mount it correctly. It's physically hardly any bigger!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
That's really good to know, cheers fella!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm still stuck with this and it's just getting annoying and all I'm Getting is upgrade to r70 pump and someone did mention a swirl pot? Seems to happen when the fuel is low
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.6 hdi - pump and injector upgrade bugija 14 6,387 17-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Last Post: bugija
  Won't start, think lift pump. daveylennon93 11 2,972 23-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  no power to lift pump thanhhungone 4 1,737 20-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Poodle