1.9d to 2.0gti 1998

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.9d to 2.0gti 1998
Is it possible to convert my 306 1.9d to a 2.0 gti-6 its a r reg 4dr?
Thanks given by:
Anything is possible. But probly work out cheeper to buy a 6 pal.
Thanks given by:
What puggie said. Sam gti'd his 1.4 but it cost a bomb
Thanks given by:
Echoing what the others have said really, for what you'd spend to convert it, you could probably keep yours and buy a gti-6
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah really easy, youll just need an unlocked ECU, a lift pump (plus wiring it in), GTi6 clocks and the engine itself.

To Echo the above you'd probably be better off buying a GTi6 as you get all the GTi'6 toys like a half leather interior, lower, bigger front brakes, rear discs, lower stiffer springs, thicker torsion bars, thicker anti roll bars front and rear, quicker steering rack etc

IMO on a 306 its only worth doing an engine swap if they didn't make the body/engine combo you want like HDi into a cabby or GTi into an estate.
Thanks given by:
you have to consider the fact it isnt just an engine

brakes
axel
ARBs
springs and shocks
steering rack
loom
dials
exhaust
master cylinder

just to name a few of the big items let alone all the niggly bits. as said above. cheaper to buy a gti by far. or if its a 5 doir gti you want your better off starting with a ph3 xs or xsi

dan you chris. beat me to it!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
I previously had a DT with a gti6 engine but just wasn't right as literally only engine changed. Very dodgy
Thanks given by:
you'll need to run fuel lines and swap fuel tanks too; proper pain in the arse of a job that too....

The engine will just bolt in, but you'll then have a car with the lower spec suspension and brakes, and a lot of power as some have already said.

You can get a cheap if slightly tatty '6 for about £800 these days; as others have said, get one of those and save the ballache and cost of doing a conversion Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
i knoe im gunna have to chage alot of things but the car has center-mental valve coz i was thinking if i buy the gti-6 nd put everything of that car on mine apart from fuel tank and fuel lines i heard you can clean the fuel system.
Thanks given by:
centre-mental valve? lol sorry, I couldn't resist!

I know its tough mate, it's completely up to you at the end of the day, but you'll end up throwing a lot of cash at it and it wont be as good as a gti6 is at the end of it unless you do EVERYTHING.

If you buy a gti6 you could swap it all across yes and it would keep costs down, but you still have the buggeration factor of actually doing the conversion.

and you'll have to then declare an engine swap which your insurance company will have a seizure about and then charge you the earth.

Imo you'd be a bit mental doing the engine swap, but fair play if the car means that much to you, crack on with it!
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 10:29 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: you'll need to run fuel lines and swap fuel tanks too; proper pain in the arse of a job that too....
You don't need to swap the lines or the tank as the tanks are identical and the lines are pretty close, your diesel might have a fuel cooler that im not sure the 6 does but it wont hurt to keep it. Just drain the tank and brim it with petrol before starting it then any diesel left will be such a small amount it wont be a bother. You will need to run a line to the front of the car and fit the GTi6s charcoal canister though

(05-07-2013, 11:23 AM)prab01 Wrote: i knoe im gunna have to chage alot of things but the car has center-mental valve
Whats a center-metal valve?

EDIT: Oh I think you mean sentimental value
Thanks given by:
the reason of the conversion is to get more power out of the car because i have got the non turbo (70BHP) version and i tried to turbo my engine but i was told it wasnt going to work
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 12:27 PM)prab01 Wrote: the reason of the conversion is to get more power out of the car because i have got the non turbo (70BHP) version and i tried to turbo my engine but i was told it wasnt going to work

Dont' believe what people say, Samass is running 133hp in what was a 1.5 n/a diesel engine with a bosch td pump and a turbo slapped on it...

Or just fit a 1.9Dturbo engine, wind the fuel and turbo out and have some fun that way? You'll real world be almost as quick as a GTi6 up to around 60mph, with a hard stage1 tune, and quicker if you slap a non standard turbo on it. And THAT will cost you a damnsight less than a petrol conversion. XUD engines cost about £50 complete, and it'll be almost totally plug and play with your car.
Thanks given by:
You could turbo your engine and it would work but you'd have a really easy job of dropping in the turbo diesel lump (has a lower compression ration than the non turbo) and running that. They'll run 140bhp with a tune that you can do for free at home and if you go out and buy a FMIC, turbo and fuel pump then the sky is the limit, they aren't too hard to get to 200bhp and all the info is here on this forum.

Best of all its still cheaper to insure and does far better MPG
Thanks given by:
why not just put an XUD turbo engine in it then???? will be abit easier but you will still have to uprate everything eles especialy if you give it a little tune.

dont take this the wrong way as it is just a fact. you are try to start with the worse possible 306 you can think of. quite a PITA really.

Thanks given by:
i was hoping to get a little bit more bhp because i have heard its possible to get 510 bhp from gti-6
Thanks given by:
If you had the cash to make a gti-6 510hp.. you wouldn't be putting it in a NAD shell for starters
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
as I said before the shell has sentimental value to me
Thanks given by:
510? Who told you that? It's mega money to get even close to that figure
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
i was tlking to a guy in the company pugg1off and he said i can get 510 brake and can go higher but will have problems
Thanks given by:
Please don't take this the wrong way.....

The guy from pug1off is correct...... to a point......

They have a 205 with (I think) a gti6 lump in it pushing more than 500hp.

BUT to achieve that power figure, you're looking at custom internals, full rebuild with forged rods, uprated main bearings, custom pistons to achieve the correct compression ratio, decent manifolds, a properly sorted exhaust, the turbo itself, a good ecu set up, sensors (3bar map etc), LSD, uprated fuel pump and swirl pot, and mapping..... If you were able to build this yourself you could do it for probably 6k if you did it properly, maybe more if you looked at custom turbo cams and headwork aswell. Oh and I'm not sure about the lifters, but . But if you get someone to build it, you're looking at a bill at a guess in the region of about £15k.

And that's before you sort out things like the brakes, and suspension, which can run well into 3 figures if you're buying new and speccing for the power you'd be running...

This post is not in any way intended to be a downer on you; you've not told us a lot about your plans and you may have all this covered!

I can't wait to see your project thread if you genuinely have the drive, knowledge (and the funds!) to do this; it'll be absolutely epic (and who knows, if you do it sometime in the next 2 years you have a realistic chance of beating GT30 to the first high-power turbo petrol actually running on the forum (no birk, your's is still in bits and doesn't count!), but I just think there is a lot you haven't considered in regard to building up an engine/project of this sort....
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 12:51 PM)prab01 Wrote: i have heard its possible to get 510 bhp from gti-6

Your correct, Thats Matt from Pug1off's car and it is f*cking rapid, wins class B at USC every year but if you've got any idea what sort of money that cost you'd start with a different. There isnt ANY standard GTi6 bits in that engine, EVERYTHING is modified or uprated. The bottom end is bored and stroked with forged rods, piston and crank IIRC so thatll be £5k. The head has custom cams, huge valves and alot of head work, thats another £2k. The turbo and manifold are custom and pretty special, thats probably another £3k then add on ECU and loom at £1k, Mapping at £120/hour and will probably take a day (another grand then) A gearbox and diff that can handle that power, IIRC its a full quafe rebuild so thats probably £4k then add in every ancillary part needing to be upgraded or custom made and your easily talking another £5k So what are we up to for that 510bhp engine then £20k+

Oh and you need £5000 worth of suspension brakes and wheels to handle that power so make your total £25k

If the 1.9 is that sentimentally valuable then keep it original and build something different.

If you have £25k burning a hole in your pocket and want a unique rocket buy a GM LS9 6.2L V8 crate engine which gives 604 lb.ft. @ 3,800 rpm 638 hp @ 6,500 rpm for £15000 and will do 200,000 miles without a hiccup then fit it in a Vauxhal Monaro which are on ebay for as little as £6500. Sell your LS3 lump off and then use the spare £10k to tune the LS9 to well over 1000bhp and never have anyone take the piss out of your car ever.
Thanks given by:
how would i go about putting a turbo on my engine?
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 11:44 PM)prab01 Wrote: how would i go about putting a turbo on my engine?

You will need the following

1 two mini baby bell cheeses
2 a big ball of blue tac
3 green frog tape
4 the search button is a good one
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 11:44 PM)prab01 Wrote: how would i go about putting a turbo on my engine?

Easy.

- Find if your engine has an oil drain into the sump. If not drill and tap one.
- Remove old exhaust manifold and down pipe.
- Remove old inlet manifold
- Fit 306 TD inlet manifold
- Fit 306 TD turbo, manifold and down pipe.
- Fit oil lines
- Fit boost pipe and TMIC from 306 TD
- Live happily ever after.

Really you'll want the fuel pump off a 306 TD too, preferably the early bosch type, otherwise you wont make alot of extra power as the non turbo pump unsurprisingly don't have boost compensators. Thats a straight bolt of bolt on swap too though.

You would be far better and easier fitting a whole 306 TD engine
As described above, they have lower compression ratios and possibly stronger internals and IIRC a better clutch as well as coming with all the bits you need you'll also get the more suitable longer ratio'd gear box. Buying all the bits you need separately will cost more than just buying a complete turbo engine.
Thanks given by:
How would I adjust the 1.9d fuel pump so it would work with the turbo?
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 12:00 AM)prab01 Wrote: How would I adjust the 1.9d fuel pump so it would work with the turbo?

Theres no boost compensator as previously said.. so the simple way to adjust, is unbolt it and put a turbo one back on
Thanks given by:
There's a chap in the FCS Facebook page selling a '6 for £600. Go buy it.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
just fit a sodding xud9te!!!! its simpler, cheaper, easier, simpler, cheaper, easier!!

ruddy hell. anyone else banging there head against a wall?! Doh

AND it will end this thread!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
me piggy!!!!!

look to put it bluntly. adding a turbo to a nad will be shit. it wont put power out well and it wont achive much power. it will prob cost around £250 to put together and will most likly shit its self if you try to get any power out of it and you will have wasted your time and money.

on the other hand you can go buy a decent XUD9te engine for £100. you will get some decent power out of it and upto 150bhp it will litraly run for ever happily with minimal maintance!

it is completly pointless turboing your current engine. listen to the advice given!

Thanks given by: