oil catch tank

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil catch tank
im putting an aftermarket cone filter on my 306 thanks to dangti6 but want to put it tubed to the coldest area in the engine bay.
i was thinking mabey a oil catch tank was needed because im loosing the origonal air filter gubins. my question is am i right in thinking i need a oil catch tank for that breather pipe coming off the rocker, and what does it do exactly. as in does it filter the oil that comes out the breather pipe, does it hold the oil that comes thro meaning i have to do an oil change more frequently and service the catcher all the time . i honestly have no clue about them.
Thanks given by:
breather pipe filter should be fine...assuming you have the 1.4/1.6...?

there isnt enough pressure, due to no turbo, to worry about a oil catch tank
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wicked thanks. Il order one today.
Thanks given by:
I would recommend a catch tank as when I first got a aftermarket filter I didn't bother with catch tank my car then proceeded to shit oil all over my engine bay lol simple enough job to fit and all it does is catch excess oil instead of recirculating it in through the filter but up to you.
Thanks given by:
shouldnt be needed on a little petrol, esp non turbo.

if its blowing oil out the breather, something aint right with your setup
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
TU's always blow oil through the breather, especially at high revs lol.....had 3 1.4s all the same so can't be a coincidence.
Thanks given by:
they shouldnt surely?!

the splash plate under the rocker cover should completely avoid that
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Don't think there's any sort of splash plate or baffle under there. It's been a few years now so can't really remember.
Thanks given by:
Nope don't think there is a splash plate on there, well mine if mine ever did
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 09:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't think there's any sort of splash plate or baffle under there. It's been a few years now so can't really remember.

yes theres a splash plate under the rocker cover on a 1.4
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
My 1.6 always blew oil from the breather, and the breather leaked so it was always a mess!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 09:46 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 09:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't think there's any sort of splash plate or baffle under there. It's been a few years now so can't really remember.

Hmm, maybe they removed it by phase 3 then? Cost cutting lol.

Well I was bored enough to check one of my old project threads.....so there is a baffle on the silver top 1.4s lol. lol

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...ost1525816

But still, they all chuck oil through the breather lol.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 09:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 09:46 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote:

Hmm, maybe they removed it by phase 3 then? Cost cutting lol.

Well I was bored enough to check one of my old project threads.....so there is a baffle on the silver top 1.4s lol. lol

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...ost1525816

But still, they all chuck oil through the breather lol.

Lol i like the way someone says dont remove all ht leads at once as you can get confused as were they go..lol there all diffrent lengths and only an idiot would get em messed up lol....anyway...yes theres a baffle plate on the black tops too however mine dont chuck oil out it does what its suposed to and relive pressure in the head lol mabey im just lucky lol..
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
yeah, thats it, I dont see why, if all is well of course, that it should blow oil out
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Because its French...? French cars don't seem to like holding oil in my experience. lol
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 10:02 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Because its French...? French cars don't seem to like holding oil in my experience. lol

lol look after your car and your car wil do what you want it to lol
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
If only it worked like that lol.

For me it's fix one thing and another instantly breaks!
Thanks given by:
lol. i only just got back to this thread. iv had a breather with filter on there for since i first mentioned it and iv had no issues yet. mabey when the oil starts getting to much it will change. but it seems okay for now.
Thanks given by:
my catch tank on a 1.4 gets filled up a lot I am not shore weather to keep emptying it or just leaving it full an help appreciated
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 08:42 AM)Glen306 Wrote: my catch tank on a 1.4 gets filled up a lot I am not shore weather to keep emptying it or just leaving it full an help appreciated

empty it,
I'd recommend a catch tank if you are venting the breather to air, you can just run a pipe but if you having it venting under the bonnet you will smell the breather emissions / vapour in the cabin, the best method is a baffled tank located somewhere under the bonnet with the exit pipe venting out of the engine bay eg into the inner wing area this will stop you smelling the vapour, having a tank also allows you to keep an eye on what the engine is kicking out, lots of oil may suggest a problem, if you don't hae a tank to catch it you won't know how much oil is been thrown out.
I only seem to get a little water in mine (no oil), I hope is a normal byproduct of the internal combustion process, would you expect oil to be present on a XU with 83k on it?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil catch tank Nathan1305 2 1,216 25-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305