Cambelt change cost?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambelt change cost?
What sort of cost am I looking at for a cambelt change? Haven't had a 'decent' quote back from a garage yet, a couple are going to call me back....at some point.

Is it worth trying it myself? I've done my own work on brakes, suspension and other service items but never a cambelt / water pump. I'm a bit nervous of this kind of job because of the potential to unintentionally break my own car permanently.

Is there anyone on the forum with experience in doing it who would take the job on for ££s?

I'm skint, after all, and garages seem reluctant to do it.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Your probably looking at about £300ish. I was quoted between £270 and £500 for mine on the 1.8 before i just manned up and got on with it.
Im sure there are members willing to help. Have a look in the helpful members section and see whos near you.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
my mate charges me £120 at his garage, he is a mate though Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I paid £165 for everything from my local garage, but he said it was a pain in the arse and had he not outed me for the price before hand it would have been more!
Thanks given by:
I'm with Nial on this one. Take a big spoonfull of mtfu and get on with it. I did mine week before last, the hardest bit was getting the top camcover off. Give yourself 6 hours and you will be done Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
the HDi is even easier than the xud...mainly coz the fuel pump needs no timing pin.

its more fiddly than difficult...the top belt cover for instance and lack of access for water pump bolts.

just take your time and allow a long afternoon/evening

with the locking pins in place...you cant really go wrong.

toughest bit will be getting bottom pulley bolt undone...starter method is probably best bet if you dont have an airgun
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As above, £300 or more.

It's not that bad to do yourself, follow the instructions and you can't go far wrong. Make sure you jack the car up to a decent height to give yourself as much working room as possible. You can undo the bottom pulley with help from someone to stand on the brakes and a good long extension bar, i've never been caught out by one yet (*touches wood*[giggidy]).
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The covers are a nightmare, everything else is easy. I would help you do it if I get time to!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bumper, Bonnet, paint job cost steve1001 1 1,336 02-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Last Post: steve1001
  Noisy Engine After Cambelt Change tigerstyle 13 9,055 18-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Last Post: toseland
  Injector rebuild / Rough cost mcglynn 8 1,595 18-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Poodle