Garrett GT20 Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garrett GT20 Project
(14-10-2013, 02:46 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Please tell me you haven't spent £20 on a T2 elbow - just so you can cut the flange off it and weld that to a reducer and then to a 3inch 90?

(14-10-2013, 02:56 PM)Tom Wrote: You spent 20quid on that piece of crap? Could of bought a tight radius 90, flexi and maybe a reducer aswell for that!

I think there might be some slight confusion here. Yes it was necessary to buy a standard exhaust elbow, so that I can take the standard flange from it and get it welt onto the custom elbow. This will allow me to swap between this turbo and a standard turbo if I have to take this turbo off for further fettling. Because it's my daily driver I need the flexibility you see!

Also that price included free delivery and they seem quite rare to come by as well. So I had to strike whilst the iron was hot! So to speak. That was the only one on eBayUndecided
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2013, 02:37 PM)306Puggy Wrote: And that, my friends, is how you work out a 45 degree angle on a circle!

If anyone needs this described in detail just PM me Smile

finding the radial lines on the circle, drawing it's cross point, creating 4 equal 90 degree angles, thus 8, 45 degree angles?

Have i saved you a swarm on PM's by any chance?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Or use the protractor from your school maths set.....
Thanks given by:
Right, exhaust elbow arrived today super quickly (only ordered it on Friday!) slight problem; it's friggin' huge:

lol

Gonna have to lop most of the straight bits off and just use the curve for the elbow, before I go hacksawing, does anyone know the width of a GT20 turbo? Because to me it looks significantly narrower than the K14 that is already on there and if that is the case it might be better to leave a bit more straight section of the elbow on the part where it connects to the turbo.

In other news, my mum has had a drive way expert to come and look at the driveway, so it looks like things are moving fast with that, I might not make it in time :cry:

Gonna be a real struggle to fit it anywhere apart from the driveway, especially considering it is my daily driver.
Thanks given by:
looks like you bought the wrong elbow.

you need a tight 90 elbow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-SHOR...2a1b6403c4

thats what you want....they do 2" and 2.5" etc

and mega lols on the turbo elbow....£20 bargain?

can buy a whole T2 for £20-25!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Well I have not seen any on eBay for £20 delivered! No doubt the extra weight of the rest of the turbo would make it uneconomical to deliver. Besides why don't you show me a few links then!

And regarding the exhaust elbow, I made a whole thread on it, you should have voiced your concerns on the thread, not after I bought it.

Anyway as said I am continuing with this elbow, should be workable if I chop it down. Now just gotta wait on the reducer and then off to the welders again! Man this is costing me so much in fuel...
Thanks given by:
if you chop it down...it wont be 90degrees anymore.

and I DID voice this before. But you know better. Im sure you spent the many minutes it took to find a tight bend.

theres turbos on this forum for sale for that very often...and blown ones for nothing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 05:37 PM)306Puggy Wrote: And regarding the exhaust elbow, I made a whole thread on it, you should have voiced your concerns on the thread, not after I bought it.

Anyway as said I am continuing with this elbow, should be workable if I chop it down.

I bet it fouls the gear linkages.

Meh, It's your funeral, people are actually trying to help.

In case you missed my point, you NEED a tight radius 90* bend.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I can see you read the whole thread you made too. You want to try searching a bit harder for bargains some time, i've just got a minty fresh td05 for £36, so daresay i could find a t2 for less. lol

Go with the tight radius bend or you're going to run into a whole load of issues that you don't need to. At least then you can sell the current elbow and get some money back on it, once you start cutting it's worthless.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I started cutting it today Doh Already keen to make progress I lopped one end off. Another 12.50 down the drainUndecided Now you can see why I don't like anything that involves custom fabrication. Having said that on my "Exhaust elbow to downpipe" thread it seems like Diggers is running a large radius elbow.

(21-10-2013, 05:41 PM)Piggy Wrote: if you chop it down...it wont be 90degrees anymore.

and I DID voice this before. But you know better. Im sure you spent the many minutes it took to find a tight bend.

theres turbos on this forum for sale for that very often...and blown ones for nothing

Just reading the thread, the one posts you made in regards to the elbow (other one was a reply to a comment I made):

Quote:I spent probably 10/12hrs on my turbo pipes...

on, off, on, tack, off, weld, on, break off, tack again, refit...repeat. that was for relocation.

but you wana do it right, you need to jig it up.

just get on with it. gee

Nothing specific regarding to radius of the elbow.

(21-10-2013, 05:59 PM)Poodle Wrote: I can see you read the whole thread you made too. You want to try searching a bit harder for bargains some time, i've just got a minty fresh td05 for £36, so daresay i could find a t2 for less. lol

Go with the tight radius bend or you're going to run into a whole load of issues that you don't need to. At least then you can sell the current elbow and get some money back on it, once you start cutting it's worthless.

Not necessarily, I spoke to Ginge191 who had a GT15 but he said it would be 30 quid in postage alone. Besides I needed the elbow, not the whole thing. Part of the cost is paying for the labour of taking things apart. And as said, elbow has already been cut now, much to your amusement.

Most people in the exhaust elbow thread were of the opinion that the less tight radius elbow would be fine, if you could have posted something contrary at the time that would have been helpful. Here's the thread for reference:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-16999.html

Edit: Depending on how much it would foul the gear linkages I could always bash it slightly with a hammer to make it clear them.
Thanks given by:
You even say at the beginning of that thread that you intend to use a 3" short/tight mandrel bend

Can I suggest you stop quoting everyones replies with poor retorts.
It just pisses us all off
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You may suggest it but I counter the suggestion with the following:

What you call "retorts" are just replies in something called a "conversation", you should try it sometime. If it pisses people off they need to realise it is more efficient and specific than just writing a general reply and when the subject is as specific as this, points need to be addressed individually without any room for confusion.

And what do you think about bashing the pipe with a hammer to help it clear the gear linkages?
Thanks given by:
Just lmao this thread never fails to amuse me lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
what you think is conversation...many feel is ruddy irritating a lot of the time! lmao

I think getting a tight mandrel bend like you suggested you would initially and that we are all telling you to get would work much better than wacking a huge dent in ya bend to undo all ya work at derestricting the exhaust elbow!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
let him do as he likes Smile
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 07:35 PM)306Puggy Wrote: And what do you think about bashing the pipe with a hammer to help it clear the gear linkages?

Drash on, it'll make it nice and restrictive. Rolleyes

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 07:43 PM)Piggy Wrote: what you think is conversation...many feel is ruddy irritating a lot of the time! lmao

Not me, Just full of LOLZ

Thanks given by:
(21-10-2013, 07:47 PM)puglove Wrote:
(21-10-2013, 07:43 PM)Piggy Wrote: what you think is conversation...many feel is ruddy irritating a lot of the time! lmao

Not me, Just full of LOLZ

realised its actually a perfect cycle of irritation...

he blabbs on requoting and retorting everything peeps suggest and say, then because of that we reply with lols...which irritates him.
So he irritates himself! lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
vicious circle that!

Thanks given by:
To be honest guys. Let him crack on.
He's trying his own way to make this fit, if that means trying to make a standard elbow for through minor customisation, then so be it.

I know it'll be my plan; being able to swap turbos without creating almost custom exhausts is a nice thought.

Honestly, stick at it ThumbsUp
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
You're a nasty piece of work, and stupid to boot. Not that there's anything wrong with being stupid, but you manage to twist it into a personal affront. I don't know why I, or anyone else for that matter, keep trying to help you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

I think getting a tight mandrel bend like you suggested you would initially and that we are all telling you to get would work much better than wacking a huge dent in ya bend to undo all ya work at derestricting the exhaust elbow!

Hmm, not too sure what people are irritated by, but I invite them to start a thread in the lounge to explain their irritation. It generally seems to be the ones that are always moaning about somethingBig Grin

Well yes but the tighter radius bits are more expensive and I've got this one now so I need to improvise and be creative. I don't think denting the elbow will make it too much more restrictive...we'll have to see...it's a last measure obviously. Watch this space...

(21-10-2013, 08:37 PM)Poodle Wrote: You're a nasty piece of work, and stupid to boot. Not that there's anything wrong with being stupid, but you manage to twist it into a personal affront. I don't know why I, or anyone else for that matter, keep trying to help you.

I am assuming that was not aimed at Ginge191 (if so I disagree since he made a reasonable post) but how am I a "nasty piece of work"? Or indeed stupid? That's not a very nice thing to say Sad

You are just jumping on the bandwagon because it's easy. You act as though I have made numerous personal digs towards your family lol
(21-10-2013, 08:24 PM)ginge191 Wrote: To be honest guys. Let him crack on.
He's trying his own way to make this fit, if that means trying to make a standard elbow for through minor customisation, then so be it.

I know it'll be my plan; being able to swap turbos without creating almost custom exhausts is a nice thought.

Honestly, stick at it ThumbsUp

Thank you Ginge191 Smile I will see what I can do. I always have the hammer for backupIdea

Edit: Just realised, I took the time to quote everyone's posts and reply to them individually. Sorry, my bad lol
Thanks given by:
lmao

Just out of curiosity, if this all goes wrong when you try and use it, what happens?

Thanks given by:
his mummy will scrap his car and get the drive done.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think your gonna struggle with all this with out an engine / car to mock it up on I can see it now that the exhaust is gonna get welded at the wrong angle etc.

Good luck with it all tho Smile

Thanks given by:
Nospeak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just to give you a rough idea of how tight the elbow needs to be, here's a picture of my 3" elbow in place..

[Image: IMG_1133_zps5eaede62.jpg]

Unfortunately the picture doesn't show just how tight it is to get a decent elbow back there, was a nightmare.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Every time I open this thread, I can just picture this going on next to a GT20 somewhere

[Image: idgif3.gif]
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
lmao Rofl lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Locking temporarily to clean up the bitching and crap in here.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bianca xud GT20 padge 227 29,388 29-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Last Post: padge