A/C control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A/C control
I am new to A/C....not generally just with the 306.

To be honest if it dont work on most old Pugs, people dont care.

Anyway... Exclamation ....I wondered how the A/C is controlled?

I assume the 'ECU' controlling it all is in/under the dash? NOT in the engine bay??

Could someone confirm this?!...

I ask for two reasons, the main one being...what happens if you convert to single slimline fan...usually fans kick in when A/C is on as far as my knowledge goes?

ALso anyone know of a common (seemingly) fault of a whirring behind the dash, even when all fans/A/C turned off?

Huh ta Itwasntme
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Even when the fans are off, they still spin at a low rpm so thats your whirring noise
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Why?!

That may sound dumb...but they dont on me non A/C 306!?

If its whirring, then new fan??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-06-2013, 09:35 PM)Piggy Wrote: Why?!

That may sound dumb...but they dont on me non A/C 306!?

If its whirring, then new fan??

Dont have a clue why mate but they all do. Generally due to the design, the bearings wear down and thats why they make a nasty noise. You can try taking it apart and greasing it all up (i did on my old car and it worked very well) but how long it will last im not sure.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
cool. thanks. me new one and me mates new one both do it!

Any ideas about the fan/rad control?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Right the aircon is controlled by the AC unit you use on the dash and partly by the engine ecu. The AC unit sends a signal to the Bitron unit (engine fan controller under the passenger side headlight) to switch on a fan to constant low speed.

When the AC is on, it only switches one fan on low speed. What most people who go slimline do is butcher the original fan cowling, keep all the wiring, mount the relay box somewhere and just wire the slimline to the primary fan (not the AC one). That way, it will come on low speed at 97 and high at 107 (think they are the gti temps) and will default to high speed if the brown sensor on the thermostat housing goes O/C so you can still put a switch in line and have your in cabin fan over ride switch.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The interior fans are constantly on, you can't turn them off. Even on the slowest setting, it's always spinning.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks nial for awsomeness

....any idea which fan is the primary?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: