Manual override; fans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual override; fans
I've got standard fans installed and wondering how I'd go about installing a manual switch.

The fans have 2, 2 pin plugs.
I'm guessing I need to find a 12v live? And bridge this with an active wire on the fans? Anything I should be lookin for.

I've got some spare wiring and batteries to use and test with if needed, and a simple flick, on/off switch.

Thanks! Can get pics tomorrow if needed[/align]
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Best I found was a pacet fan controller.

Mounts in the top hose but you can adjust the temp you want it to kick the fans in at!!
Thanks given by:
I'm looking to have a manual switch; not a fan of wiring up a second temp control
Thanks given by:
Just put a manual switch in parrelell with the heat switch in the rad, this way it just utilizes the oem wiring, and if you have them off, they will still come on at normal temp Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
What the lobbman said ^^

Piece of pie, pizza pizza pie
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I will take some pictures of how mine is wired up tomorrow if you like?
Thanks given by:
(19-06-2013, 10:00 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Just put a manual switch in parrelell with the heat switch in the rad, this way it just utilizes the oem wiring, and if you have them off, they will still come on at normal temp Smile

The only issue with this is that the fans don't kick in at all, and is highly likely the bitron unit is frazzled.
Also, I have a plug coming out of the temp sensor which has been unplugged since I've had the car/loom. It's brown and corroded to hell, any use?
Thanks given by:
The fans may be busted. Get a slimline on there! The stock set up is really restrictive for flow especially with your TMIC
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You dont want to just have 12v to your switch and then fans....you'll burn out a lot of stuff... you would need a relay!

but as said...single slimline is 1/4 of the weight if not less and are quite cheap to pick up new
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ah didnt realise this is ph2/3, in that case if its dead, sack the lot off and mount a slimline,relay, and a switch.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Just had mine done yesterday but wires are all taped so can get a pic. Used original loom but it was constant live so we (meaning Sam) cut some away and ended up with a relay no longer.needed
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 07:35 AM)strictly_derv Wrote: The fans may be busted. Get a slimline on there! The stock set up is really restrictive for flow especially with your TMIC

I can't afford a slimline setup to be fair. I need something sorted for tomorow, as i'm heading over to chi.
I may just remove one of the fans, there're two there, and run a single fan.

(20-06-2013, 08:12 AM)HDIkyle Wrote: Just had mine done yesterday but wires are all taped so can get a pic. Used original loom but it was constant live so we (meaning Sam) cut some away and ended up with a relay no longer.needed

Yes please, with some simple/dummy arrows with writing would be perfect

Darren, you were talking about wiring into the temperature switch - it looks like this - http://media.mister-auto.com/bolk/temper...9101-2.jpg

Which wire am i cutting into? I can grab a picture of the wiring if you need..

Would this work?

[Image: wvPg1IL.png]
Thanks given by:
Not too great on my old electronics but surely the electricity would just bypass the switch even when closed according the diagram
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 11:33 AM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Not too great on my old electronics but surely the electricity would just bypass the switch even when closed according the diagram

Sorry, that black box is a manual switch....
Thanks given by:
try this

[Image: efaninstall2.gif]
Thanks given by:
That image looks like HELL to me.

BUT i'll decifer it now Blush
Thanks given by:
and if you want a fan overide switch put an extra switch between pin 86 and ground
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 11:40 AM)cully Wrote: and if you want a fan overide switch put an extra switch between pin 86 and ground

Sorry, i should have explained more; the fans don't come on at the moment as it is. I think the bitron unit has packed up, i don't think the fans would work if put an extra switch between pin 86 and ground?
Thanks given by:
that diagram doesnt inc the bitron...

its a 'new' relay, high amp obviously.

You are using the stat int the rad (that you pictured) which you use to ground the relay and turn the fans on.

you want your switching side to be low amps and then you can run the high current needed through the relay for the fan(s)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 12:15 PM)Piggy Wrote: you want your switching side to be low amps and then you can run the high current needed through the relay for the fan(s)

you could be speaking japanese pal in honesty.

amps, currents, raisins... means not a lot to me, i'm sorry

switching side of what?
what relay; i only think i have a bitron unit, which you say is a "new" relay?
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 12:38 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 12:15 PM)Piggy Wrote: you want your switching side to be low amps and then you can run the high current needed through the relay for the fan(s)

switching side of what?

skim reading ftw but . . . .what piggy's saying is you can't run the fan voltage through the switch as it will burn it out, the current runs through a switch in the relay and the switch in your car activates the switch IN the relay . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 12:49 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 12:38 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

switching side of what?

skim reading ftw but . . . .what piggy's saying is you can't run the fan voltage through the switch as it will burn it out, the current runs through a switch in the relay and the switch in your car activates the switch IN the relay . .Smile

there we go! english! northern english, but still, english!!

So, where to i mount my switch!? lmao
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 12:52 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 12:49 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 12:38 PM)ginge191 Wrote: you could be speaking japanese pal in honesty.

switching side of what?

there we go! english! northern english, but still, english!!

So, where to i mount my switch!? lmao

i could dumb it down a little more if you like? . . . . the level that we're at now would be more than adequate for my 7 year old son, i thought we'd start there and work backwards if needed . . Wink x
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
in one of your post ging you say you think the bitron is dead

my drawing is a stand alone circuit to do away with the so called fecked bitron
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 02:30 PM)cully Wrote: in one of your post ging you say you think the bitron is dead

my drawing is a stand alone circuit to do away with the so called fecked bitron

So that diagram is something new; non existent in the car? is there no way i can cut into my ready made circuit. I can't really afford to buy a relay and wiring, as lame as it sounds... Undecided
Thanks given by:
hello Ginge,

Your signature is really annoying.

Ok,

Thank you.

Goodbye.
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 03:28 PM)MissTap_GTI6 Wrote: hello Ginge,

Your signature is really annoying.

Ok,

Thank you.

Goodbye.

yeah i'm feeling that, i mean . . . . . . .because England has done a great job of running their economy haven't they? . . . . . ..errrrr no . .lol
Thanks given by:
Back to topic, ffs, i'll change it now.

I've got a 3 pin plug, i've just noticed. now i tested the live to the fans etc, it all seems "ok", but the fans do not kick in. one of them is dead, i've just tried manually switching them on, and one works, no the one that works i'm trying to wire up.

As said, i can't just lobb a live and earth on the fan with a switch, as it starts burning the wire up <---- how do i overcome this?
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 04:31 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Back to topic, ffs, i'll change it now.

I've got a 3 pin plug, i've just noticed. now i tested the live to the fans etc, it all seems "ok", but the fans do not kick in. one of them is dead, i've just tried manually switching them on, and one works, no the one that works i'm trying to wire up.

As said, i can't just lobb a live and earth on the fan with a switch, as it starts burning the wire up <---- how do i overcome this?

That's already been explained, you use a relay to take the higher power.

This thread has answered my question anyway, as my fans currently don't work either and been considering wiring them up to something.
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2013, 05:18 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(20-06-2013, 04:31 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Back to topic, ffs, i'll change it now.

That's already been explained, you use a relay to take the higher power.

This thread has answered my question anyway, as my fans currently don't work either and been considering wiring them up to something.

12v -- relay --- fan ?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fans...HDi fans... HDi slimline fans... wiring.. toseland 3 1,786 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: cully