HDi won't start, just checking...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi won't start, just checking...
Right, my b*****d car won't start, i don't think i've missed anything, but want to double-check before shelling out for a refurbed HP pump. Firstly, some history:
It used to have major issues with cutting out, this was 95% solved with refurbed injectors all round. Recently the car has been having trouble starting, the other day it refused to start at all - it would crank a couple of times, try to catch, then give up and go back to cranking. I changed the HP pump for the one i've rebuilt myself, now it doesn't try and catch at all, just cranks away. Obviously this means my home rebuild attempt has failed miserably (more on this in the relevant thread when i get a mo), more importantly it means i'm still stuck without a car.

What i've checked so far...

1) LP pump primes without needing encouragement from a hammer, pressure seems good, flow steady, no gold filings in filter housing.

2) Filter housing is well sealed, contains a genuine filter.

3) Injectors are all recently refurbished items, injector pipes are done up properly and not leaking. Are not receiving 80v required to fire.

4) FPR valve has been swapped with a known good item and made no difference. Have tried squeezing the return pipe to build pump pressure - still didn't fire.

5) As above for third piston shut-off and FRPS, voltage out put is 1.3-1.5 which indicates at least 300 bar - ie pressure needed to fire.

6) Cam sensor connection is damaged, but has been like this as long as i've had the car and never been a problem before - have checked it for signs of a poor connection and there are none. AC Voltage output is ideal.

8) Brown relay shows no signs of poor connection, but was replaced anyway for a new, genuine item.

7) ECU connections are fine, not damp/damaged, no signs of burning/arcing, no loose pins, no misshapen sockets.

8) All earths are fine - good, clean connections - and there's a good battery on there. Been testing various parts of the loom, it's all fine.

9) Car has DIESEL in. <<< For you mooey.

10) HP fuel pump has been replaced.

11) ECU was tested, first with an ELM327 - either wouldn't read or only gave me odd bits like battery voltage and ambient temp - then with Dum-dum's scangauge - which did exactly the same. New ECU time.

This is the ECU wiring diagram i've been using to test various connections:

[Image: edc15c2pinout.jpg]

Current status: awaiting cash for ECU transplant.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That doesn't sound good, sorry im can't help you out. I know how irritating hdi's can become.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
does sound like ECU if it wont connect with diagnostic equipment
Thanks given by:
^^^ It was partially connecting with the scan guage, just not everything which suggests to me thats its partially fried
Thanks given by:
Get a petrol ha ha fuel of kings

Runs and waits the flames ha ha
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
We did have it almost running on butane the other week
Thanks given by:
lmao, it had a go didn't it. Intriguing...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That must have sounded horrific snorting Butane!!!

At least you know the actual engine isnt effed.. Something injection system wise is knackered... Have you measured voltages at sensors, somewhere TB205 has posted about what the voltages should be at ign II on and cranking...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
There's no voltage, ie no signal to the injectors when cranking, can't connect to the car from the OBD port (possible bricked ecu) and the AA bloke said there's no signal from the crank sensor. That's at least 3 potential problems, looking at ~£250 to cover all of them. Sad

As you say though, the engine itself is fine, and I figure while it's off the road I may as well take steps to improve it...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Werent you gonna try a new ECU?

It could be that you are getting no signal at the injectors cos the crank isnt seing movement so its not trying to inject fuel
Thanks given by:
any way you could crank it faster.. 3rd gear bump or something? might get it to send a signal..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
It was cranking faster on lighter gas, around 800rpm IIRC and thats basically idle speed.
Thanks given by:
I was thinking more like 2500 rpm, the crank sensor went on the GFs' Seicento and I got it to start by bumping it at 30mph. Once it was running it was ok.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I will be trying a new ECU, if TB deigns to reply to any of my messages that is... :roll:

I'm not convinced by the AA bloke's crank sensor theory, doesn't explain why we can't connect to the ECU. I'm not sure because i'm not great with electrics, but it looked a lot like he was measuring for crank voltage post-ECU, so if the ECU's dead he's not going to be getting a signal anyway.

I'm told bumping these doesn't do them any good. Plus there's nowhere near me to get enough speed up for a third gear bump, not without being in busy traffic and I really don't fancy that lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Theres someone on .net breaking a HDi so they might do you the sensor cheap. It could be that it needs screwed in a little further or summat if your lucky
Thanks given by:
if it was showing revs while running on butane ignore the crank sensor for now as thats where the ecu gets its rpms from. although saying that try taking it out and checking its not covered in filings though as i had that with a mondie at work the other week
Thanks given by:
Should be getting my ecu back from the ECU Doctor tomorrow, apparently the immob chip burnt out and some of the data was corrupted. All that fixed, hopefully I should be able to start her tomorrow, i'll let you know how i get on. Can't wait tbh, I miss my 306 so bad. Sad

Will be staying at my bro's after my trip to the lakes to do some serious work on her, should come back a different car. :dance:

Especially now the nad-wagon has also seen fit to develop identical running, power, starting and cutting out problems in the last month... lmao Sodding french heap...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Still won't start. :cry:

Gutted and pissed off with it now.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  checking lower rad hose connection type tigerstyle 5 1,506 12-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Toms306