10mm and 13 mm sockets with ratchet
Jack and axle stands
Allen keys
Torx keys
Cup of tea and/or coffee

Step 1:
Stick the kettle on

Step 2:
Whilst the kettle is boiling, go and jack your car up at the front. I found I only needed the drivers front lifted. Place your stand under and make sure it's secure.

[Image: 9f2ae9dc.jpg]

Step 3:
Go and make tea and/or coffee. You may accompany your hot beverage with biscuits or other related snacks. It is also entirely up to you wether you have milk or sugar. I am not held responsible however if you do and it ends up being horrendously detrimentalto the fitting of your quickshift.

[Image: 1fabf352.jpg]
(I would also appreciate it if there were no comments on the cup I used lmao )

Step 4:
Inside the car, pull your knob hard till it comes......off the gear stick. Make sure you don't hit your self in the face or break something. Now remove the gator and you should be presented with something similar to this.

[Image: 7b820b8c.jpg]

Step 5:
Remove the ash tray at the back of the centre console and remove the 2 t20 screws in there. Now remove the two 10mm nuts holding it at the other end and remove the centre console.

Step 6:
Now get under the car and look above your exhaust. You should see the stick coming through the floor and connecting to the linkage. Remove the bolt going through it (12mm bolt with 10mm nut) and seperate the linkage from the stick.

Step 7:
Now back inside the car, undo the 4 10mm nuts holding the stick in place. Once undone, you should be able to just drop the stick out under the car and have something like this.

[Image: de53bc31.jpg]

Step 8:
Now, stop for a drink. If your as good as me, your hot beverage should be at optimum drinking temperature (this claim is based on you filling the cup with fully boiling water and the outside temperature being 2 degrees)

Step 9:
Remove the rubber covers from the base of your shaft and you should be presented with this:

[Image: ce0b2173.jpg]

You want to undo the 4 clips around the plastic ring and pop it off. Now your shaft should just pop out of the base. Remove all the bits of rubber and plastic and you should have something like this:

[Image: dd3eb0d0.jpg]

Step 10:
Using a hammer (bigger the better) smash the plastic ball off the shaft. This should be relatively easy if you have a large hammer. Clean it all up and you should now have this

[Image: 34e0a31b.jpg]

Yes? Good!

Step 11:
Take one of the collars from the New quickshift and bolt it onto your shaft roughly where the textured bit is (this made it very short). Place into the quickshift and bolt the top collar on tightly. You don't want any play really so as tight as possible is good!
You should now have this

[Image: a9726896.jpg]

Note: the bolts don't come with the quickshift. Luckily I had these lying around

Step 12:
Bolt back into the car. You will more than likely find the holes in the floor of the car are too small for the bolts by about 0.5mm. Take a drill and 8mm drill bit and drill them out and it will be good to go!
Once bolted in, reconnect the linkage inderneath but don't bolt in properly as you will more than likely have to remove it again to adjust.
You should now have this

[Image: 184476a2.jpg]

Step 13:
Sit in the car and play lots with your shaft. Is it too short? Is it too long? Really that's down to your personal opinion. You will end up spending a while adjusting it too how you want it.

Step 14:
Happy with it? In that case, bolt up the linkage under the car and drop it back to the ground. Put the interior back to how it was and take it for a spin!

[Image: 189cb0d8.jpg]

I found that the collars do come loose so once your happy with it, remove it again and drill some dimples into the stick where the grub screws sit. Screw them in and loctite them in place. This should do the job. You can also use something like araldite around the collars to keep them in place.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Looks good! Can't wait to get mine!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh I'm not overly happy with it. Getting 2nd gear is a right twat. Will see how it goes and might swap back to a new original one.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
If its not good let me know. May just re sell if people aren't too happy.
Thanks given by:
Good guide mate, I may have to get a new gear stick as mine has been cut down, if you struggle to get in gear then I certainly will haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Good guide mate, I may have to get a new gear stick as mine has been cut down, if you struggle to get in gear then I certainly will haha

I think this is part of the problem. Mines had about 2 inches whipped off the top so it's stupidly short now haha
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I had heard about araldite didn't you have to use any bud?
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jonny b Wrote:I had heard about araldite didn't you have to use any bud?

Didn't need to as I drilled dimples into the stick for the grubs to sit in then loctite'd the grubs.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Excellent stuff Niall, cheers for posting that Smile
Thanks given by:
well done buddy! - perhaps fiddling with the stick length would create a decent shifting?
let us know how you get on with it
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
So Niall, is the general summary that it takes a bit of getting used to with a shortened gearstick?

Do you think it's worth swiping a standard one off another car in the scrappies to bung on? Be easier to mod off the car too surely?

Tbh I think I'm gonna find where I want the shift to be using just the top collar, then bung araldyte round the whole bloody lot. It'll be better than oem for sure me reckons, and im not likely to be pissing about changing where the pivot is every 2mins with the heatshield to fight off 1st everytime....
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Think Ill stick with locktite until I find a comfortable set up and then go mad with the araldyte
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You can not get back to the original shifting due to the fact that the pivot point is higher on the quickshift than it is on the standard shifter. However you could space the quickshift down towards the floor to bring the pivot point down. This is what I might do as the quickshift does make the shift feel a lot more solid. There's a lot less wobble in the gearstick and everything feels a lot more sure.
It might be ok on standard linkages but I have adjustable linkages so might need adjusting.
Problem is, if you shorten it too much or lengthen it too much one of two things will happen. First thing will be that the linkage will hit the heat shields or exhaust and make a horrible noise or make it impossible to change gear. Second and worse is that if you shorten it too much, there is a chance you can wreck the box by not coming out of the first synchro and into the second too early. If this happens this will lock the box completely and if this happens at speed, it could just destroy it completely!
(this is based on how I'm sure the boxes work in these. Could be wrong!)

I have bought a spare shifter as once you smash the ball off the old one, there is no chance of fitting it back.
Weirdly, it's only 2nd gear I have trouble with. This could be a problem with my box as I have to double clutch it to get into second without crunching.
I'm going t run it till next weekend and see how I gt on. If I get used to it or manage to adjust the linkages, I will keep it. If not, I will replace it with the standard

Edit: if anyone has bought one of these and is now unsure, the original shifter is only 40 quid from Peugeot new and I think it will make a difference as the pivot on mine was worn badly!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Im worried about my linkages now! Dont really want to wreck another gearbox.
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:You can not get back to the original shifting due to the fact that the pivot point is higher on the quickshift than it is on the standard shifter. However you could space the quickshift down towards the floor to bring the pivot point down. This is what I might do as the quickshift does make the shift feel a lot more solid. There's a lot less wobble in the gearstick and everything feels a lot more sure.
It might be ok on standard linkages but I have adjustable linkages so might need adjusting.
Problem is, if you shorten it too much or lengthen it too much one of two things will happen. First thing will be that the linkage will hit the heat shields or exhaust and make a horrible noise or make it impossible to change gear. Second and worse is that if you shorten it too much, there is a chance you can wreck the box by not coming out of the first synchro and into the second too early. If this happens this will lock the box completely and if this happens at speed, it could just destroy it completely!

I have bought a spare shifter as once you smash the ball off the old one, there is no chance of fitting it back.
Weirdly, it's only 2nd gear I have trouble with. This could be a problem with my box as I have to double clutch it to get into second without crunching.
I'm going t run it till next weekend and see how I gt on. If I get used to it or manage to adjust the linkages, I will keep it. If not, I will replace it with the standard

Edit: if anyone has bought one of these and is now unsure, the original shifter is only 40 quid from Peugeot new and I think it will make a difference as the pivot on mine was worn badly!

No its impossible to engage 2 gears are the same time, the interlocks in the gear box prevent this. So if it does happen, its a problem you will have regardless of the quickshift. Also the quickshifter isnt altering the movement of the gear selectors, its just altering the amount of effort/distance to achieve the movement
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:You can not get back to the original shifting due to the fact that the pivot point is higher on the quickshift than it is on the standard shifter. However you could space the quickshift down towards the floor to bring the pivot point down. This is what I might do as the quickshift does make the shift feel a lot more solid. There's a lot less wobble in the gearstick and everything feels a lot more sure.

No its impossible to engage 2 gears are the same time, the interlocks in the gear box prevent this. So if it does happen, its a problem you will have regardless of the quickshift. Also the quickshifter isnt altering the movement of the gear selectors, its just altering the amount of effort/distance to achieve the movement

I'm that case, it's all good. I've never really looked at a Peugeot gearbox in detail so I'm not 100% sure on the detailed workings. I know this can be a problem with some of the older VAG boxes
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I think you've got gearbox issues if you're crunching into 2nd mate...

and foxy, man up youll be fine! get some Miles linkages if you're that worried!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:I think you've got gearbox issues if you're crunching into 2nd mate...

and foxy, man up youll be fine! get some Miles linkages if you're that worried!!

Thing is it never used to. Used to be absolutely spot on. it was only rebuilt 10k ago
I think it's a issue with the linkages as when you go into either 2,4 or reverse, the stick sort of curves round to the drivers side as you push it back. I can't remember how the linkages are adjusted so will play with them tomorrow and get back To you all.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Ed Doe Wrote:I think you've got gearbox issues if you're crunching into 2nd mate...

Thing is it never used to. Used to be absolutely spot on. it was only rebuilt 10k ago
I think it's a issue with the linkages as when you go into either 2,4 or reverse, the stick sort of curves round to the drivers side as you push it back. I can't remember how the linkages are adjusted so will play with them tomorrow and get back To you all.

Definitely something else is at play here, as it shouldnt go off to the side like that
Thanks given by:
Weird thing is connar, it was fine before! I reckon the linkages need changing as this is the only thing different to a standard setup!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
My 1.8 came with a quick shift and I hated it to begin with but it is epic now and when i drive the 1.4 around the driveway to check its still alive the standard gear change is horrible. The short shift is very very difficult to get into first on mine especially on a cold day so i presume that is something to do with the linkages... Ill have to get under and have a look when i get home next!

Also well done for getting a good amount of innuendo into this. I lold.
Thanks given by:
Innuendos? Don't know what you mean :mrgreen:
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Weird thing is connar, it was fine before! I reckon the linkages need changing as this is the only thing different to a standard setup!

Well that definitely sounds like the linkages then, how old are they? Usually last a while

SRowell Wrote:My 1.8 came with a quick shift and I hated it to begin with but it is epic now and when i drive the 1.4 around the driveway to check its still alive the standard gear change is horrible. The short shift is very very difficult to get into first on mine especially on a cold day so i presume that is something to do with the linkages... Ill have to get under and have a look when i get home next!

Its just that the gearbox oil isnt warmed up or spread around the gears, thats why it can be a bit stiff first thing in the morning (gigidy lol )
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:Weird thing is connar, it was fine before! I reckon the linkages need changing as this is the only thing different to a standard setup!

Well that definitely sounds like the linkages then, how old are they? Usually last a while

SRowell Wrote:My 1.8 came with a quick shift and I hated it to begin with but it is epic now and when i drive the 1.4 around the driveway to check its still alive the standard gear change is horrible. The short shift is very very difficult to get into first on mine especially on a cold day so i presume that is something to do with the linkages... Ill have to get under and have a look when i get home next!

Its just that the gearbox oil isnt warmed up or spread around the gears, thats why it can be a bit stiff first thing in the morning (gigidy lol )

That explains that one then! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Gear linkages are the baker BM ones and are 4 months old. I'm pretty confident it just needs to be adjusted. Just need to work out which way lol.

I need to replace the gearbox oil as I know these boxes are crap unless they have the proper pug stuff in them!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Gear linkages are the baker BM ones and are 4 months old. I'm pretty confident it just needs to be adjusted. Just need to work out which way lol.

I need to replace the gearbox oil as I know these boxes are crap unless they have the proper pug stuff in them!

Sounds like they might be contacting, so yeah definitely get them adjusted properly
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:Gear linkages are the baker BM ones and are 4 months old. I'm pretty confident it just needs to be adjusted. Just need to work out which way lol.

Sounds like they might be contacting, so yeah definitely get them adjusted properly

Hmm going to have to do some serious thinking....not something I'm used to! :x
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well if it was me, id adjust them to "standard" length and go from there, because if theyre the same length of standard ones, then that would rule out the linkages being at fault
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:Well if it was me, id adjust them to "standard" length and go from there, because if theyre the same length of standard ones, then that would rule out the linkages being at fault

Dont know how long the standards are. If someone wants to get me the standard lengths, I would be greatful Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I would but I dont know if its different for different engines
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: quickshift Piggy 26 13,959 02-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Piggy
  [How to] Plan 306 Quickshift fan2xud 0 2,098 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Last Post: fan2xud