hdi whistle/squeek

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi whistle/squeek
Star 
Alright guys went to see an hdi I am interested in, car hadn't been started in over a month, but she fired up first time really smooth, only real issue I see is a high pitched whistle/ squeek when you rev the car, happens when stationary and under load.

Now my first thoughts are that its not turbo, theres no smoke, pulls okay etc but not 100% sure on this.

I'm guessing the other option is a bearing / tensioner as when the cars idleing a very faint kind of buzzing noise comes from the belt side.

Any advice, at the price its at I couldn't really afford it to be the turbo

cheers
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a dry bearing to me, but a second hand oem turbo only costs about fifty quid anyway.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah that was my thinking poodle, cambelt was apparently changed 10k ago just wondering if it was all replaced
Thanks given by:
Just to clarify here is there any way I could rule out the turbo?

also the airbag light is on solid, any ideas what could be causing it?
Thanks given by:
Airbag, check the connections under the front seats, these often get knocked loose.

Noises, have you tried a bit if lube on the belts, may just be dry and stiff from being sat.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I havent as I was only viewing it lol. If I was semi sure what the problem is I'd think about buying it
Thanks given by:
have a good look at the aux belt...is it worn/perish/slack?!

get someone to rev it while you stick ya ear down there!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I was doing that, I think its definately coming from there. Will have to go back and have another look. the noise doesn't continue through the rev range, as I thought maybe it would if it was the turbo
Thanks given by:
Have another look, take some wd40 with give a little spray on the belt and the bearing. If it reduces it you know thats where its coming from. I know wd isnt best for long term.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Does the car have ac, im sure mine is making a similar noise and its coming from the ac compressor area
Thanks given by:
Yeah it does. I would put my money on it being one of the pulleys.
Thanks given by:
Let the aux belt off and check them by hand mate, should be able to feel it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'd have to buy it first though, pretty impressed otherwise apart from airbag light, had been stood a month and started first turn, no smoke or anything
Thanks given by:
would I be right in saying though that if it was a bearing in the cambelt or fanbelt it would whistle/squeak on idle and not just when i rev it?
Thanks given by:
hi mate i made a thread up on this i had the exact same problem after parking mine up for 2 months. it only happens wen reved past 1500 rpm . if yours is the same as mine and hasnt got air con then iots the idle pulley bolted to the bottom of the pulley.

no it wouldnt squeak all the tim as the belt isnt under as much pressure at idle. mine used to whine at 1500+ but perfect at idle. i guarantee you its one of the idle pulleys. best way to check is take off the fan belt and start the car and rev it. if the noise stops then its on of the pulleys run by fan belt. fan belt is easy to get to and to remove anyway
Thanks given by:
I'd guess it was the the bottom pully. They always go on these.

Get one from a 307, they're made better and don't wear out so quickly
Thanks given by:
Sounds very similar laney, like I have to rev it hard enough to make it happen, then its a really sharp whistle.
Thanks given by:
Get on, it's a perfectly reasonable pre-purchase check. I had the carpets up and the light clusters out when i viewed the 205 a few days ago, as long as it goes back together they've got nothing to complain about. The airbag light i'd want to do a bit of research on too, they only flash if it's the connections under the seats that's the problem, i've not seen them on solidly before.

The bottom pulley rattles, not squeaks, be very surprised if it's that.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
He has admitted that the waterpump wasn't changed with the cambelt now so weary it could be that
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, thats a bit daft. Yeah maybe leave this one lol..
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As said botom pully can cause the symptoms you describe
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whistle sounding like blow off valve MY95 9 1,584 13-05-2015, 07:49 AM
Last Post: MY95
  Loud turbo whistle Brucky 10 3,165 14-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Brucky
  loud turbo whistle Jukie88 32 6,057 22-02-2014, 06:12 PM