Fitting EGR Blank questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting EGR Blank questions
...Sorry couldn't find the thread on this, but don't think this was detailed in there...

Aside from obviously needing to undo the 2* 5MM allen bolts on the EGR what other bolts need to be undone to allow room to slide the blank into place?
The 10(?) mm socket immediately above I think, and anything else? I guess the EGR pipe won't just easily swing out of the way and give me loads of room to get the blank in, but looking to make sure I'm doing it right!

Cheers! Speechless
Thanks given by:
The bolt above and the bolt holding the bracket in halfway along the egr pipe - allows enough movement to get the blank in, crowbar will probably help for "adjustment". Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yea, the EGR system won't simply 'move' out of the way once it's undone, it's going to require some leverage, swearing and in my case, blood donation, to get the fecker in there. And even then, lining the holes in the blank up is hilarious fun.

All I'm saying is, don't start on it if you have plans that day. Took me nearly an hour of faffing around.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
i make it sound so easy Big Grin
method two in the guide Wink

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13047.html
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 10:41 AM)cully Wrote: i make it sound so easy Big Grin
method two in the guide Wink

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-13047.html

My EGR pipe is different in design to the pictures you have there, it is rigid with only a flexible (well crimped/waved edge bend) corner where it bends down to meet the turbo on the drivers side. Possibly a later pipe (W reg here)

It's full of oily crap though, have loosened it enough to be able to swing it away from the inlet elbow, but so far no joy in pushing it 'back' to make the space for the blank and gaskets to go in.

It's tight back there!
Thanks given by:
Yours will be the earlier type without the coolant heat exchanger. It's exactly the same process to bend it so you can fit the blanks in, just easier and roomier than the newer sort, lucky you! Get a crowbar in there and give it a bit of persuasion. If you're really struggling for access, support the sump with a jack, remove then top engine mount and let the jack down slowly to roll the engine forwards, will give you a few more inches. If you do that just be careful nothing gets pushed into the back of the rad.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-06-2013, 01:16 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yours will be the earlier type without the coolant heat exchanger. It's exactly the same process to bend it so you can fit the blanks in, just easier and roomier than the newer sort, lucky you! Get a crowbar in there and give it a bit of persuasion. If you're really struggling for access, support the sump with a jack, remove then top engine mount and let the jack down slowly to roll the engine forwards, will give you a few more inches. If you do that just be careful nothing gets pushed into the back of the rad.

I'm not one to turn down bad advice, but having just finished the job, I would say it is far far far easier to just loosen the inlet elbow and make room that way on the inlet side of the EGR pipe. Two 13MM bolts as well as the bolts you'll already have undone for the EGR is all it takes to get 10-15MM of backwards (towards passenger side shock tower) play in the inlet elbow, enough room to slip in the EGR blank and gaskets with ease. No prying on the EGR pipe needed or danger to rad.
You'll need to take of the small 'L' bracket holding up the inlet to do this, the guide mentions just loosening the bolt is enough, but it's only 2 10MM bolts and the hole bracket comes off anyway. As well as a further 10MM bolt holding the two inlet pipes together preand post turbo, but it's all on display up there so obvious to see.

I found it quite easy to paperclip the EGR blank and two gaskets together to help line them up, get both bolts in finger tight and then slide out the paperclip before tightening everything up.

Hope this comes up in a future search and helps someone out! I would have taken pictures but my hands (and yours) will be very oily and black by this stage, and I haven't trained my dog to use the camera yet...
Thanks given by:
well done Smile
I did try it your way but i found the inlet didnt move as it was rigid mounted to the Air douser which is fitted to the later engines
also doing it my way only disturbed the Egr gasket not the elbow inlet gasket which is prone to leak black gunge once disturbed
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2013, 02:32 PM)cully Wrote: prone to leak black gunge once disturbed

I thought that was factory issue gunge, standard on all HDi's! Rofl
Thanks given by:
I don't disconnect my inlet elbow for that exact same reason Cully, it's not leaking since i put a new gasket in and i want it to stay that way hahaha!

Can't say that sounds easier than 10 seconds with a crowbar to me, but as long as it worked for you. Smile Glad you got it sorted, i like the paperclip idea will have to remember that one. It can join the bulldog clip, marker, compasses, kitchen scissors and needle already in my toolbox, missus drew the line when she caught me skulking off with the hairdrier though. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  egr blank fgrc76 12 2,683 24-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Iceman299
  manual boost controller and egr blank plate fitting, please help dirtyboost89 6 1,922 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Last Post: dirtyboost89
  EGR Push in type blank? pugdan95 5 1,611 09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Last Post: doski