Peugeot 405 TD04

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 405 TD04
Not 306 related, but I thought an interesting XUD project, and this seems to be the XUD place to be Smile

So I have an old 405 1.9TD on my driveway that hasn't moved for 2 years, retired due to rust around the rear chassis legs and boot floor. I got a new OE boot floor and legs off of ebay for £60, so it's going off to the welders soon to be put right.

In the meantime, I picked up a TD04 in great condition for £35. Given that the 405 is surplus to requirements, I thought I might have some fun with it.

Already on this car I have:

Fitted a recon head and injectors
Rebuilt the gearbox with a new 3rd gear synchro
New OE clutch.
Fully reconditioned the rear axle.
Tons and tons of other work.

....bits I have collected off of ebay for no real reason:

New subframe
Recon steering rack
Spax sports dampers

......what I plan to buy:

Mi16 alloys to accommodate bigger brakes
283mm 406 brakes
HDI rods for engine rebuild
Possibly front mount intercooler and 406/xantia inlet manifold

So this is all still at the ideas kicking around my head stage. I'd like to get the engine out soon and get started. I haven't done a full rebuild before so it will be good to learn something new.

The space between the turbo and the bulkhead looks very slim already, I don't know how a TD04 is going to sit.

I'll be doing some proper research soon, I really just wondered what people's thoughts and opinions were on this?
Thanks given by:
The td04 will fit with a big enough hammer :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
TD04 is bigger than standard physically but as Phil has said, get the hammers out and it will fit. Mine had already been bashed a bit before I did the swap, but a little more and so far it hasn't been knocking on the bulkhead when the engine moves.
Thanks given by:
cool....old skool epic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ive got some mi16 alloys for sale
Thanks given by:
Pics! Looks like a good project there mate
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
danny 2009 has some mi16 alloys Wink

Thanks given by:
Pics pics please Smile
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Definatly do it, I've had loads of 405s but never got around to giving one the chronic boost treatment.

A stanced and boosted 405 would end up being my favorite car on here Big Grin
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 09:30 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: Definatly do it, I've had loads of 405s but never got around to giving one the chronic boost treatment.

A stanced and boosted 405 would end up being my favorite car on here Big Grin

We need RWD XUD's. Thats what it comes down to!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Awesome. In that case I think it's on. Haven't a clue when I can get around to it, but will definitely get pictures up when I get started. First thing's first, it has to go off to get welding done. Whoever said 405's don't rust must have never had a 405. Chassis legs were just about gone and the boot floor is like swiss cheese.

Meanwhile, in my store room:

[Image: 405_01.jpg]

.....it's a floor for an Mi16 but as far as I can tell the only discernible difference are the exhaust hangers.
Thanks given by:
i had an mi16, it died of chronic engine failure and the sills were starting to rust badly, my next 405 had a rust hole in the front wheel arch and the one after that the rear end was slowly rotting away from the wheels back.

had an absolutely immaculate cherry red estate but I crashed that one lmao
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Right then, here we go.

The car in question:

[Image: 405_02.jpg]

Chassis legs already cut away, not that there was much left to cut off:

[Image: 405_03.jpg]

New cross member temporarily welded in place and fully reconditioned rear axle. More pictures of the axle refurb can be viewed here. No fuel tank or brake lines currently.

Boot floor from inside:

[Image: 405_04.jpg]

The welder has already been round to look at it. He thinks I'm crazy but is confident he can make her new again. His work is very good and I look forward to the completed article.

Today I got all of the fluids drained, one of the driveshafts out, airbox and battery tray out in preparation from engine removal:

[Image: 405_05.jpg]

The car already has a reconditioned head and injectors, a new OE clutch kit and a rebuilt gearbox. Gearbox rebuild pictures can be seen here.

That's all for now, I can't promise rapid progress, but I'll post back with more updates as and when.
Thanks given by:
Cant wait this will be awesome loved all my 405's
Thanks given by:
nice going mate, not enough people have boosted 405s Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I've not had much time to do my homework yet, but would these rods be a suitable donor for my XUD? They seem fairly cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Citroe...1128176347
Thanks given by:
they look right, and the dw10 was fitted to loads of things
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that, I'll get them ordered.

In terms of FMIC, any reason I couldn't get the inlet, intercooler and all pipework from a 406/xantia and just swap it over? My 405 doesn't have aircon and there's a generous amount of space at the front of the engine. I'm hoping to get the front of the car dismantled this weekend then I can see what's what.
Thanks given by:
yeah i remember there been loads of room in a 405 bay, should be nice and straight forward fitting an intercooler Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
yup.... try and find a xantia inlet without egr to save some hassle
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2013, 07:08 AM)Piggy Wrote: yup.... try and find a xantia inlet without egr to save some hassle

Nice one, I've sourced one off a guy on FCF with intercooler and all pipework for £50 delivered.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey. Took me 3 hours to remove the bumper, the corrosion was just insane. Got nearly all the nuts and bolts out in one piece, patience is key!

[Image: 405_06.jpg]
Thanks given by:
never understood why they didnt fit the xud11 in the 405. xud9 looks a little lost in the bay lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
A quick update with today's progress. I got myself an engine crane off of Gumtree which made life a whole lot easier:

[Image: 405_07.jpg]

...and easier still with an assistant:

[Image: 405_08.jpg]
Thanks given by:
engine cranes for the win!

so much room in that bay!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Damn that guy looks angry on the engine crane! Looks like he wants to kill you! lol! Did you get the rods you ordered? I ordered the second pair but apparently they went "missing" lol.
Thanks given by:
I was going to flog the crane on once I'd used it, but I think I'll be keeping it! It came with an engine stand as well, so it will be nice not to have to work on the engine on the floor.

The big man is probably still a bit hungover, and yes, my rods came through no problem mate!
Thanks given by:
man I want an engine stand so badly!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
There are various little bits of welding needing done on the underside. I was pondering flipping the shell over onto it's side on some old tyres or something. Has anyone tried this? Good idea, bad idea?

(14-07-2013, 09:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: man I want an engine stand so badly!

I'll post a pic of mine with the engine on it, engine stand pr0n!
Thanks given by:
I spent most of the evening clearing out the Man Cave and scrubbing the floor. The Man Cave was subject to a vegetable oil spill so wasn't much fun to walk around in. I got the transmission off the engine, I had planned to get it onto the engine stand tonight, but the bolts I have are too short, I'll need to order some in.

[Image: 405_09.jpg]
Thanks given by:
nice workshop...

need to put smooth concrete and paint down in mine asap!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: