Need some help and advise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help and advise
Question 
Bear with me on this, it might be quite long.

Ok, so its been a while since the whole flood incident and the engines still doing alright but its not 100%, little bit of smoke on start up and only recently a bit of blue smoke if kept at high revs.

Now i was saving/got a bit of money for a bit some air ride (not a full kit, just static+), but thats not going to happen now so i want more power.

Ive got a new luk clutch, gear linkages and powerflex lower mount sat in the garage waiting to go in, going to get a sachs paddle friction plate to handle more torque.

Questions are: Do i get a new turbo? new turbo and engine? Strip this engine? Before I go stage two?

Then, bigger/better turbo? Direct replacement? Is it worth doing anything else at the same time? Injectors? Pump? Anything like that?

Im hoping for 160+ bhp thats pretty reliable as its my daily. Is there anything i can do to make more power easier on the engine?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, if the engine is blowing blue that is never a good sign, especially if it went for a swim, most likely messed the rings. I would look at another lower milage engine from the likes of a 307

As for stage 2 mods,
Pump/injectors are fine to keep stock unless you can get some low milage examples.
Turbo can be left stock although you will be screeming it at 160bhp so it might be an idea to upgrade for soething that can handle the boost. Best bet is a GT series turbo - speak to Dum dum or Jonny1212121
Exhaust, get a nice system made up in 2.5" turbo back with as little restriction as possible
Clutch, sounds like you have this accounted for

Hope this helps a bit Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Exhaust is done, longlofe straight through. Also have a MBC kicking about somewhere. Are the 307 engines identical? Just straight swap?
Thanks given by:
Yea, they are just DW10's, the 90's are identical and the 110's had an ic. Just more likely to find a lower mileage example
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Ill start looking. Hate changing major components, i always doubt them. Better the devil you know IMO
Thanks given by:
Sooo, your guessing that you've done some internal damage...

Personally.... If your going to get a bigger blower/injectors etc, Id find a bare block with head (money saving) then ra*e every thing of use off your old engine then buy your uprated stuff to go on, that way you don't buy another turbo,pump,injectors etc that you already have and arnt going to use any way.....

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Im guessing either internal damage or turbo damage. And if im going to be spending anyway id may aswell upgrade at the same time. Ill go standard if its easier but injectors etc i was just wondering if they make it easier for other parts of the system, meaning a more reliable engine. Hate buying second hand parts too especially an engine as i really dont know my way around them, and then theres the headaches of getting it, storing it, prepping it, and then actually swapping it. All of which is stuff ive never done.
Thanks given by:
Fairly simple if you go for something tried and tested, it just a case of turbo, pump, injectors, clutch and map, FMIC with some advice from the likes of jonny 118118, dumdum, poodle, on what to buy you cant go far wrong, and easy to fit whilst the engine is on the floor.

Also Jonny is selling his r70 in the FS section

Or just S2 it

Thanks given by:
Im temted to get the clutch in and remap it and see how it does. If it kills it then its only part id be buying anyway.

Oh decisions, decisions. Hate them.
Thanks given by:
Fair point, if you can get a cheap map your only going to be the cost of a map down, as the clutch on FMIC will be usable if you go S3

Thanks given by:
For 160bhp you don't need much more than what you've already got. A half-decent fmic install and map should easily make that and should last if you don't abuse it, just look at what warlord's managed.

If you want ultimate reliability i'd suggest refurbished r70 pump and injectors, worth the extra imo just for the guarantee, especially considering the silly money people are charging for low-mileage pumps etc. Also, some people seem to be labouring under the misunderstanding that certain injector numbers are better than others; they're not, it's just they're picking up lower mileage versions so of course they're going to perform better. Rolleyes As suggested above, a GT20 is probably your best bet for turbo, similar spool time and much better flow capability up top.

The 307 engine is the same apart from the extra oil filler, which you may find gets in the way unless you're very tidy with your fmic install. Some of them have ecu controlled boost, but i'm guessing you'll be swapping out a bare block anyway, so that shouldn't matter.

Can you do without the car for short periods of time? If so, i reckon the clutch, fmic and map and see how she goes plan is probably your best bet, otherwise you could be spending several hundred more than you need to.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
For 160bhp you can do that with a FMIC and a decent map on a standard turbo

If you think the engine is gone then replace it whole

As for turbos if your looking to stay under 200bhp then my preference would be a K03 hybrid or a GT15 hybrid
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys, im going to test my injectors as after talking to prosteve about the issues with my current engine. FMIC is already on. I might go for pump and injectors just for a more reliability, they can go in my current engine or be swapped the the new one if needs be so not a waste. Ill get testing and see what comes up.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front mount help advise me raymond76 4 2,358 28-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum