[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
You're not wrong Tongue

God I miss driving that car!!! Sad
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Edi baby! What shineys are coming? *cough* rotrex!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh I was watching that video hoping and wishing for something to go bang lol Im sure it it was Phoebe's it would have lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol my brother said it sounded like a chainsaw
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Small updates:

Firstly, I managed to snap the bottom mount off the down-pipe on the 106, with the following short-term effect:

[Image: IMG-20111106-00026.jpg]

I had the hole welded up, but the flange weld gave up then and the whole exhaust dropped off on my way back from changing the front brake pads at Curt's. Luckily I had all my tools in the car, so just got under it in a layby, took it all apart, and drove it back home, and then to work again in the morning with NO exhaust at all, just coming straight out of the manifold. Loud does not describe it!!!!

Got it welded up good n proper by the local mechanic, and they put the bottom mount on again too, so hopefullly it should withstand some more abuse lol!!

Also thought I'd capture the most money I've ever spent with Macdonalds at once:

[Image: IMG-20111022-00019.jpg]

This was when Scott was failing fixing his engine mount on the big-vee, and Fooby was trying to deafen Matt, Curt & Ruan whilst they slaved to put Matt's coilovers on!! (This was sometime before Christmas... )

Scroll forwards to the present!

I've begun the hoarding of shinyness process in preparation for the '6 rebuild in late April Smile

I've so far bought the following:

1. oil cooler kit (with thermostatic sandwich plate);
2. Compbrake Eccentric top-mounts
3. Gaz GHA's with 275lb main springs, which are due to come to me this week!!! SO excited!!
4. Pair of Meyle HD wishbones, which will arrive this week too Big Grin I cannot friggin wait to get stuck into the rebuild now!!
5. PTFE inlet Gasket
6. Gulf performance fully-synth oil, filters & NGK Iridiums for a service (insert generic Basher comment here)
7. Quickshifter

List of things still to purchase:

1. Baker BM Group N engine mounts
2. ARB bushes
3. Meyle Droplinks
4. 4 x new Parada Spec2's
5. New Knob (of the gear variety, before you ask!!)
6. Debating on new rear beam mounts. Lemforders are EFFING expensive, but I think they're worth doing if the money'll stretch!

I'm also planning on a bit of general sprucing of the engine bay. I have a few ideas, but want to get them done before I explain!! Tongue

Updates will hopefully be more regular fairly soon, once I get all the bits assembled and work out when I can get all the work started!!!

Pic of the oil cooler Kit:
It's the JJC one off ebay. Really good kit by the looks of it, APS cooler, Gates hoses, mocal fitting kit and thermostatic plate. Should be just the job Smile

[Image: 6-3-12-OilCooler.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i havnt read this the whole way through - but is there an aim for this car? or just a general 'decent' motor?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Nah not really. I really love how it handles, but want to make it better without making it totally track-orientated. I also keep over-heating the oil by driving too enthusiatically, hence the oil cooler. Besides that, just keeping the bushes refreshed and making the most of the car is the aim! I also love cleaning it, as you may have noticed!! I really want to give it a proper detail before Summer!!

I'm hoping to track it at least once this year too!

Long-term plans are to either cam it next year, or to LBSC it, but I'm holding off making that decision due to severe lack of funds after this years' 'sprucing'!!!
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:Nah not really. I really love how it handles, but want to make it better without making it totally track-orientated. I also keep over-heating the oil by driving too enthusiatically, hence the oil cooler. Besides that, just keeping the bushes refreshed and making the most of the car is the aim! I also love cleaning it, as you may have noticed!! I really want to give it a proper detail before Summer!!

I'm hoping to track it at least once this year too!

Long-term plans are to either cam it next year, or to LBSC it, but I'm holding off making that decision due to severe lack of funds after this years' 'sprucing'!!!

LBSC? - google gave me some train model.... :| im going to guess... low boost supercharger?

sounds good though, keeping it all in tip-top form Smile
Thanks given by:
lol Yes, Low-boost Smile I dunno though, it's a lot of cash. Will see what next year brings with my job etc!

Yeah this one's definitely a keeper, it feels so epic every time I drive it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:lol Yes, Low-boost Smile I dunno though, it's a lot of cash. Will see what next year brings with my job etc!

Yeah this one's definitely a keeper, it feels so epic every time I drive it Big Grin

yeh i was considering building a GTI project rather than spending more cash on the DT .. but building a turbo model instead - too many SC GTI's i think :roll: ...oh and this is now copyrighted whistle
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:yeh i was considering building a GTI project rather than spending more cash on the DT .. but building a turbo model instead - too many SC GTI's i think :roll: ...oh and this is now copyrighted whistle

Lol you don't need to worry about me copying it; turboing it isn't my bag. Don't get me wrong it'll be epicwinzz but just not as amazing to drive hard in the twisties *imo*

Turboing is cheaper to do though, but you have to be careful; iirc you come up against the rods limit earlier than in sc cars due to the increase in flow a turbo can provide (correct me if I'm wrong Ruan!! Lol). There's a guy "Binkagti" on the 6 forum who's had a good go of it; his wsa running 300hp on forged internals. Other than that "fatlapit" on the 6forum also built one. I think his stripped 6th recently though... Lolz

And of course Birk is in the middle of stuffing some hooter of a turbo in his dimma. He's got the most epic s/s 3" turbo-back zorst ever too, with a naughty downsweeper tip; it looks RUDE!!

But you should deffos do it if you can; 6's are so cheap nowadays its ridiculous!
Thanks given by:
yeh.. i wont spam your thread up with any of my ideas and such yet - still reading a lot behind it at the moment..

Once uni finishes and my career with the forces gets under way, should have the time and area/tools to pull it off, oh, and the minions to help whistle

But i reckon you should get this SC idea up and running!! now THAT would be rude! Wink

EDIT: OHH and the whole reason i come here was to ask what difference that cooler makes/made - i know i was going for a burning bender in the derv the other day, pulled over to lift the bonnet and there was a fair bit of steam/oil fumes coming off my breather.. worth investing in a cooler?
Thanks given by:
Turbo engines tend to produce more torque, but mostly you just tend to melt things more as Turbos are less predictable with regards to boost and resulting AFRs... So you tend to melt pistons quickly...

Binkas didn't have a big enough turbo though, it was a baby.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Turbo engines tend to produce more torque, but mostly you just tend to melt things more as Turbos are less predictable with regards to boost and resulting AFRs... So you tend to melt pistons quickly...

Binkas didn't have a big enough turbo though, it was a baby.

Could it not be solved through DECENT mapping and injectors...?
Thanks given by:
Better mapping + injectors sure, but you're still limited to about 250hp...

Course, you could replace pistons, that'll prevent the melting, but you may as well put in a set of H beams whilst you're at it, as if you snap a rod, you'll munch the piston...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ginge; I'll let you know what effect the 'cooler has, but from what I've heard a 13row (what I bought - comes as standard in that kit I bought) is more than adequate for fast road and some track-use. You obviously get more out of it if it's well ducted, and if the car is lighter (ie not labouring pulling more mass about the place). I know some tend to opt for 16row for more serious track-abuse, but i'm only going for light occasional stuff, and predominantly fast-road.

In regard to the decent mapping, yes decent injectors and mapping are mega-important for turbo cars, I think Ruan's point was more that at a given throttle position and rpm, the Supercharger will *definitely* be supplying 'x' amount of air. There is no variable for this. But for instance if you clutch-kick a turbo'd car, and get it boosted up lower in the rpms, it could make full-boost at say 2k, whereas it's not been mapped for this level of boost at 2k, and in normal driving you wouldn't get it there. So at that point it leans out and can melt stuff. It's far more complicated to get the turbo set-up right.
And I *think* this is where you need forged pistons, to take the extra heat etc? But I am guessing at this point! Ruan will I'm sure be along shortly with an appropriate reponse Tongue
Thanks given by:
Exactly - Supercharger RPMs is in line Engine RPM, so you're able to tune it almost Alpha-N if you wanted, it's constant. The MAP & O2 sensor simply provides Idle and part throttle correction, at WOT, it's closed loop.

Turbo mapping is much more complex...
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Turbo mapping is much more complex...

But far better / more win in every way it should be pointed out...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Of course.

Much more win.
Thanks given by:
decisions decisions!

anyway, back to ed's thread - superchargarrr! <-- ed this must be done!! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
plans look good.

although i thought you wouldn't go near the S/C setups..

i thought you were all about N/A and Throttle bodies..

If you need a hand with anything let me know Smile
Thanks given by:
Spoox SC Setups FTW...

The lynx one is a lash up purely to use the stock ECU... Throttle response > down the pan.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Spoox SC Setups FTW...

The lynx one is a lash up purely to use the stock ECU... Throttle response > down the pan.

^^This!!

If you're gonna do it, you may as well do it properly, ditch the standard management, put the tb where it should be (on the end of the inlet, not pre-charger where it can't see boost, as it'll throw a shit-fit and die if it does!), and get it properly mapped to suit Smile

Plus, the other thing I really like about the spoox set-up is the inlet they use is just a cut-down version of the stock oem inlet; looks way nicer imo!

http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/popup_ima...4b54031e72

http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/popup_ima...5d61636405

http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/popup_ima...5d61636405

http://www.spoox.co.uk/catalog/images/SC07.jpg

EDIT:

Also, everyone knows green hoses = +20hp per hose!! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Short inlet FTW = mega throttle response.

Why not ITBs with a plenum and then SC'd Wink
Thanks given by:
^^ Yeah, cause I'm just MADE of money! :|
Thanks given by:
Well im pretty pleased that you have finally seen the light and decided boost is better than vacume Wink Also good to see your looking into the spoox kit, as its a much better concept / use of parts than the lynx shite..

But I still think a turboblower would be a more chronic idea Wink Also, did you hear about Ruans coilover bargain Wink Wink

Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Well im pretty pleased that you have finally seen the light and decided boost is better than vacume Wink Also good to see your looking into the spoox kit, as its a much better concept / use of parts than the lynx shite..

But I still think a turboblower would be a more chronic idea Wink Also, did you hear about Ruans coilover bargain Wink Wink

Smile

ROFL!!! Yeah, well we'll see what moneys I've got kicking about come next year's 'winter retirement' Wink

Till then ill need to get my boost fix elsewhere, so you'd best have your car done by fcs, or whenever this cornwall camping meet happens!! Tongue

And yes I did hear about Ruans coilie bargain; unbelievable! Same as mine but half the price!! Mine are softer spring rates tho, and have diff topcups, but still properly bargainlicious!

I need to come down to cornwall soon mate, its been way too long! I miss it so much!
Thanks given by:
Ruan's got the size of it, you know he's right Ed. Tongue

Also, NGKs are crap, you should be buying duraterms.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

They arrived this morning at work!!

[Image: GazGHAs5.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs6.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs13.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs9.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs8.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs7.jpg]

[Image: GazGHAs10.jpg][/quote]

I had the piston thread turned down (extended down the shaft), which has the advantages of properly threading into the nut (I really dont like the idea of relying on the the sleeve-nut), and I'll run comparatively more distance before bottoming out the damper for the same amount of lowering against a normal set of ghas (if that makes sense?) This hopefully will mean I can fine-tune the damping with greater effect.....
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diablo GTi6 restoration Joep83 2 2,223 27-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Joep83
  Foobys PH2 Diablo GTi6 Project Fooby 112 39,908 08-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Kezzers diablo gti6 Kezzer30 84 15,404 19-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Last Post: 7057sam