port an polish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
port an polish
Bit of a odd one would it be any point in port an polishing the head on a hdi to as I got it off would it make any diff at all ?
Thanks given by:
You running 200bhp?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(11-06-2013, 09:00 PM)Anton Wrote: You running 200bhp?

No need for sarcasm

Im not sure it would make a great deal of difference on a derv
Maybe a small improvement. Wouldnt bother
Thanks given by:

You say it like you aren't?

(11-06-2013, 09:02 PM)Jimbo Wrote:

No need for sarcasm

Im not sure it would make a great deal of difference on a derv
Maybe a small improvement. Wouldnt bother

It WOULD make an improvement.. IF it was a restriction. Unless its a bastardly hard tune it's not really necessary.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Should check post number before being funny. No i'm not Chris, not yet ninja
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I hear a bag of sand down the inlet will do it nice and cheap ThumbsUp
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It'll slow down your air velocity in the port which could cause poor running at low engine speeds as it wont give as good a swirl in the piston bowl which in turn gives good fuel mixing and combustion.

There is however quite a bit that can come off the ports. Shame the valves are too close to eachother to be able to fit bigger ones.

I've had a HDi head professionalaly ported I'll post pics but theres far better things to spend money on.
Thanks given by:
Ok then ill spend cash on geting a better turbo if its going to slow it down then there is no point in doing it
Thanks given by:
There are some good tuning guides on this site, I'd stick to the 'normal' stage 1 route rather than trying all the expensive things first!
EGR valve
De cat
Back box
Remap
Etc etc...
Thanks given by:
all the above as said is almost cost free if you do it yourself...then remap is low cost effective, then FMIC

you can get a lot from a hdi without touching the turbo and head
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just done stage1 Smile just picked up a pipe bender to make hard boost pipes for the fmic plus going 2 make 2 half inch exhust do you need a back box on a diesel
Thanks given by:
No you dont. Get rid of the back box and CAT . Need to leave the mid box for legal/MOT reasons ThumbsUp

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
You do need a box in the exhaust and at the back would be the better place to have it but the mid box is straight through and the back box is baffled so youll get a better increase by removing the back box compared to removing the mid box.
Thanks given by:
Bugger then better get the mid box back then Smile
Thanks given by:
Unless you're north of the 200hp mark, it's going to be vastly fruitless, especially on a standard turbo...

There's a strong likelihood of rather than improving things, simply making it much worse. Unless you know whoever is doing it actually KNOWS their shit about DI Diesel engines, I wouldn't bother taking it anywhere... I don't know of anyone in the UK who I would take a DI Diesel head to who I would trust to improve performance...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'll scrap the port an polish plant then thanks fothe infor
Thanks given by:
You can just use any old box thats been gutted for a back box, just needs hangars in the right places. Something of the same design as an hdi midbox would be ideal, but wont make much difference really.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(13-06-2013, 07:41 AM)Poodle Wrote: You can just use any old box thats been gutted for a back box, just needs hangars in the right places. Something of the same design as an hdi midbox would be ideal, but wont make much difference really.

Not true, on a stage 2 car the difference is the best part of 10bhp
Thanks given by:
Exhausts IMHO are one of the biggest restrictions on HDis...

Not just the pipe either, everything back to the manifold. The elbow looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder whilst having a bare mad trip on LSD...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
So wot best then no box then looking to move on to stage 2 soon
Thanks given by:
No boxes will get you pulled eventually, the "slappy" noise from the exhaust is so blatantly obvious of an exhaust with little to no silencing whatsoever...

Get a pipe made from 2.25 or 2.5" with one box at the back to take off the harshness... IMO Don't bother with the stock parts, the bends are so restrictive... Near enough all the stage 2s I've seen with decent exhausts have made more power than the ones using stock parts.
Thanks given by:
^^ As Ruan says the standard exhaust is pretty restrictive and pattern replacements are worse.

ideally you want a 2.25" or 2.5" system with a single straight through box at the back.
Thanks given by:
Awww right ill re make my exhaust then out of 2.5 pipe then in to a back box any sort of back box best the best 2 use?
Thanks given by:
any back box with a straight through design will be fine.
Thanks given by:
10bhp difference between a straight-through box and a straight through box with some perforated pipe in it?!? Impressive, i'll have to experiment with that.

The bends are fine on stock pipes, good and proper mandrel-bent stuff, it's the cheap pattern parts that are the issue. That said you'll be bloody lucky to find an original pipe or even decent after-market replacement on one of these lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(15-06-2013, 09:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: 10bhp difference between a straight-through box and a straight through box with some perforated pipe in it?!?

Between perforated straight through and the standard baffled back box.

Measured by the scanguage
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2013, 07:41 AM)Poodle Wrote: You can just use any old box thats been gutted for a back box...

tl;dr? Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: