Sometimes Uni is Fun...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes Uni is Fun...
Because Aston Martin give us a car to rip apart Big Grin

[Image: DSCF0256_zps72d99892.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0263_zps220cedab.jpg]

Part of my second year is a 'dissection exercise' where AML give us an 'old' test bed car (had done a couple hundred thousand miles) and let us have our way with it before they but it in the scrap bin, and get a tax rebate, or some shit.

We were split into groups and got a part of the car each, and set about taking it to pieces...only took about 6 hours start to finish with about 15 students crawling over it at any given time (even though most of them were hopeless).

My group got the heads:

[Image: DSCF0254_zps0713163e.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0224_zpse375e7b2.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0248_zps09cafa59.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0238_zpsecaa4385.jpg]

I grabbed a couple souvenirs, too, a couple valve assemblies.

Before anyone asks, I suggested they sell it to me, but apparently I couldn't even muster as much cash as they get back in tax Sad
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
It's amazing if that's how clean it actually is after a couple hundred thousand miles. It must have been extremely well maintained and cleaned, unless these photos are after everything has been completely degreased.
Thanks given by:
If its only a test bed, it may not of even done a lot of that mileage on the road so wouldnt get dirty
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
That photo was after cleaning, was absolutely ming before, had clearly NEVER had the 'bay cleaned Tongue

Mechanically very well looked after though, no signs of wear or corrosion to be seen anywhere, oil was pretty clean too, considering they must've known it was destined for the bin for quite a while!

Uses NGK Iridiumzzzz BTW.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 08:36 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: That photo was after cleaning, was absolutely ming before, had clearly NEVER had the 'bay cleaned Tongue

Mechanically very well looked after though, no signs of wear or corrosion to be seen anywhere, oil was pretty clean too, considering they must've known it was destined for the bin for quite a while!

Uses NGK Iridiumzzzz BTW.

Yeah but if they are using it to get some sort of results from, they will run it in real world conditions. A normal person will service their car at the recommend intervals.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
what are they like to work on? do aston follow any of those annoying trends of using their own tools or awkward sizes of bolts?

easy to take apart?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Piece of piss, all standard bits, not terribly surprising, as it's not their engine, as such, it's Jaguar derived.

And Niall it was probably just a pool car for a while, too, to be fair.
Thanks given by:
That's pretty interesting! Have you had many cars come in like this? I'm guessing an Aston is pretty far out of the norm...
Thanks given by:
Funnily enough when i was job hunting, i did apply for a job at my local aston dealership. Funnily enough i didnt hear anything lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Funny that lol
Thanks given by:
That is funny..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
It's a scheme between the uni and AML, they have fairly close ties and every year they give us something, last year it was a V12 DB9. It's pretty cool, have to present a poster on it on Wednesday to some academics and bods from Aston though, so not all playtime.

Was pretty shocking how little mechanical knowledge many of my coursemates had though! Bodes well for me getting a job though Tongue
Thanks given by:
Aren't you doing a degree (masters?) in engineering though? I guess if they've never worked on a car before that might explain it, but as engineers you'd hope they might be able to figure out how things fit together or come apart?
Thanks given by:
Which uni?
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 08:47 PM)Scott Wrote: Aren't you doing a degree (masters?) in engineering though? I guess if they've never worked on a car before that might explain it, but as engineers you'd hope they might be able to figure out how things fit together or come apart?

Yup (masters pending results on Friday Confused) and yeah, guess it's not THAT surprising, but some people were plain useless lol.

(10-06-2013, 09:51 PM)fishsuffolk Wrote: Which uni?

University of Birmingham
Thanks given by:
When I was at college Rolls Royce had given us a Phantom to work on, which I never got a chance to do anything on it but they are a nightmare to work on compared to normal cars. They had a spare wiring loom in a the boot and no kidding it took 2 people to lift and filled up a 1m by .5m bag!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Thats a really cool thing to play with but I'm not sure it would be worth going to uni for.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 11:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Thats a really cool thing to play with but I'm not sure it would be worth going to uni for.

you would have been right at home there chris as it ended up in the scrap bin!
Thanks given by: