Driveshaft oil seal! #Rage!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft oil seal! #Rage!
Right well I set out this morning to change the drivers side CV joint & also fit a new rear engine mount, (just bought a new cradle and swapped them over to make it easier) And that all went fine.Come to putting it back together and thats when it went tits up, after putting the driveshaft back into the gearbox I went to put in the gearbox oil after putting a litre in it starts to piss out of the gearbox where the driveshaft enters.

It was in as far as it would go so thats not the problem, however I didnt replace the oil seal with a new one ?
Is this going to be the problem ? Torn oil seal? Just need to know if there is going to be any other posabilitys to what could have happened, it doesn't pour out.... Just a slow but constant trickle.

Anyone shed some light onto how the oil seal goes in and out, Just take a screw driver to get it out ?
Is this all that is needed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-DR...563c3d70eb
Like this^
I would Get one from the local pug garage, Is there anything else because i cant see how that would seal it ?

If anyone could Enlighten, me then please do!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Whenever ive had stuff like that replaced the seals have always been changed chances are thats the problem
Phase 1 306 Dturbo Sigma Blue a.k.a THE LADY

[Image: redranger.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sure you haven't moved/damaged the seal when you put the shaft back in??
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I was pretty careful, had a mate help me guide it it (No jokes please lol), But apparently the slightest bit of debris can tear the seal "/
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Always replace these bad boys when you take the shafts out.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Easy to replace,

But are you 100% positive the shaft has gone ALL the way back in, its very easy if the center bearings tight / you forget to release the clips to let it bind up against something else....remember the seal only seals on the very last bit of the shaft (raised bit) so if its not in 100% it will leak like a seieve.... Pretty strange for it to start leaking just from removing a shaft unless you had to lever it or anything and damaged it?

If you have, yes the seal just flicks out Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
i normally split the inner cv, put a bit of wood over it and hammer the cup in
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:Easy to replace,

But are you 100% positive the shaft has gone ALL the way back in, its very easy if the center bearings tight / you forget to release the clips to let it bind up against something else....remember the seal only seals on the very last bit of the shaft (raised bit) so if its not in 100% it will leak like a seieve.... Pretty strange for it to start leaking just from removing a shaft unless you had to lever it or anything and damaged it?

If you have, yes the seal just flicks out Smile

See I was a bit stumped with these, we tightened them up and the bearing was sitting flush against the "bit" (not sure what its called) Do they pull the whole driveshaft toward the gearbox or are they just retaining clips "/

& I might try that tommorow Danny, Worth a go :thumbup:
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
If you pull the dust seal back by the tranny on the shaft you can see if its gone back in all the way / as far as it was before...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I would be wary of hammering the cup in, just because of what i'd have to deal with if it turned out it didn't go in 100% straight
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:I would be wary of hammering the cup in, just because of what i'd have to deal with if it turned out it didn't go in 100% straight
THIS^
I have tried 3 times now and it pisses oil every time, I have gave up. It's in the garage now. I have done something wrong !
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I bet you haven't pushed it all the way in. I changed the speedo sensor 3 times on mine once since I thought the seal on that was fooked, but turned out I hadn't pushed the driveshaft all the way in.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Driveshaft oil seal? Tom 7 1,748 14-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Last Post: mr_fish