Oil smells of veg fumes, time to change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil smells of veg fumes, time to change?
Reading this (I know it's for TDis but still):
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.caldow/Elsbett/oil.htm
I was wondering I can't do their tests (or more to the point I can't tell the result of them) but one thing I can say for certain is that my engine oil does smell of veg fumes. I changed it in October so it's not due for a change yet but I've decided to change it anyway to be on the safe side. I have also noticed small bubbles in the oil on the dipstick which I am not sure is a sign of anything or not. Just wanted some expert advice on the matter. Thanks in advance!

Edit: These are the results of the "blotting test" as detailed in the article:

[Image: P1010125_zps8f161ebb.jpg]

Not sure I can make heads or tales of that TBH! Although I did rub some oil between my fingers and it did feel slightly tacky rather than slippery like oil should feel.
Thanks given by:
If in doubt, change it! It's been over 6 months and I would recommend anyone change their oil every 6 months or 10,000 miles, whichever is sooner.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
XUD's oil change interval is 6K, i do mine every 5K with good oil.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Oil change every 6,000 miles. The best thing you can do for an XUD/DW10
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Changed the oil, engine sounds a lot better! Pulls better as well. As I said, the oil did feel slightly tacky, so I guess that was losing me a bit of power because it was not lubricating as well.
Thanks given by:
In a diesel engine, it's normal for a small amount of fuel to contaminate the sump oil. With mineral diesel, this isn't much of a problem, but with veg it can be. Many people advise halving the oil change interval if running veg. Personally I change the oil on my 406 every 3,000. With these very short intervals, you don't need expensive oil. I also bulk buy filters and stock up on oil when I see special offers (currently running Halfords semi-syth at £10 for 4 litres). £12 or £15 every 3,000 miles is really not a significant cost.
Thanks given by:
fyi...dont use cheap oil like halfrauds.

use it for 6k or 1k its still crap and going to be poor at its job

consider ecp if you wana buy bulk, we get 25% off with them and sometimes 40% on discount weekends
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I use Asda semi synth oil I got it for £12 for 5 litres on rollback which I think is a good price for semi synthetic. And piggy cheap oil is just the same as "expensive" oil just rebranded. It is the same base product.
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 07:39 AM)306Puggy Wrote: I use Asda semi synth oil I got it for £12 for 5 litres on rollback which I think is a good price for semi synthetic. And piggy cheap oil is just the same as "expensive" oil just rebranded. It is the same base product.

Might want to go speak to Opie Oils mate. Cheap oil is cheap for a reason.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 07:39 AM)306Puggy Wrote: I use Asda semi synth oil I got it for £12 for 5 litres on rollback which I think is a good price for semi synthetic. And piggy cheap oil is just the same as "expensive" oil just rebranded. It is the same base product.

ORLY?!

Shit, that's why all these years every race team has nipped down to Tescos to go and grab some oil every time they need to do a change.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 09:55 AM)Ruan Wrote:

ORLY?!

Shit, that's why all these years every race team has nipped down to Tescos to go and grab some oil every time they need to do a change.

Mr Sarcasm has spoken! Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
May I point out that the Asda stuff is normally 15 pounds. I seem to remember that you were a proponent of cheap oil changes every 3-4k miles weren't you?
Thanks given by:
i've been getting some Gulf semi-synth £10 for 4l at home bargains . . . . . .decent enough i reckon, probs better than the oil it left the factory with all those years ago . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
If we're talking stock XUDs on veg, then yeah, just changing with shit oil more often is probably fine, but when we're talking big turbo XUDs making almost double their stock power with the heat and borewash that inevitably goes on, shit oil just isn't going to cut the mustard!

I wouldn't be using anything less than a good quality ester synthetic, I use Gulf Competition 10/40 usually, I'm currently on AeroShell but that's a whole other matter :p

With the heat and pressure Diesel engines are put under when making much more power than stock, you will shag bearings if you have crap oil...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 11:04 AM)Ruan Wrote: If we're talking stock XUDs on veg, then yeah, just changing with shit oil more often is probably fine, but when we're talking big turbo XUDs making almost double their stock power with the heat and borewash that inevitably goes on, shit oil just isn't going to cut the mustard!

I wouldn't be using anything less than a good quality ester synthetic, I use Gulf Competition 10/40 usually, I'm currently on AeroShell but that's a whole other matter :p

With the heat and pressure Diesel engines are put under when making much more power than stock, you will shag bearings if you have crap oil...

it's Gulf Tec plus i've been getting, reckons RRP is £20 odd good buy imo . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 11:04 AM)Ruan Wrote: If we're talking stock XUDs on veg, then yeah, just changing with shit oil more often is probably fine, but when we're talking big turbo XUDs making almost double their stock power with the heat and borewash that inevitably goes on, shit oil just isn't going to cut the mustard!

Okay then, what would you recommend for a K14 at 26psi on a Bosch with govmod+ground lda running veg oil? Also, what is good oil protecting big blown XUDs from exactly? We know that a good oil won't prevent them from chucking rods, so is it just wear on the bores and valves that it is protecting against? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Not massively to do with the wear, well it is but... It's all down to the fact that XUDs borewash like mad, it needs high quality detergents in the oil to stop the oil from being degraded and diluted by Diesel and Veg oil...

I'd be using at least a "Fully Synthetic" oil, maybe not an Ester Synthetic, but something with good detergent properties, probably something Diesel specific and around the 10/40 or 5/40 mark.
Thanks given by:
Good oil will help prevent bore wash, but also bearings, rings, cam followers, basically most moving parts, but don't forget that oil is really the only significant cooling our turbos have...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 01:18 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Good oil will help prevent bore wash, but also bearings, rings, cam followers, basically most moving parts, but don't forget that oil is really the only significant cooling our turbos have...

This, plus degrading oil from hot spots in cylinders, cheap stuff gets too thin and can lead to excessive wear too.

After spunking £300 on a turbo I certainly wouldn't lubricate it with Asda's finest..
Thanks given by:
with discount at ecp you could get very good synth oil at a economy price.
end of day....its an extra tenner maybe over the course of 4/5k.....but saving 100s on a rebuild and saving a major breakdown?!

you're saving huge on veg anyway?!?!

cheap oil is cheap for a reason.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 01:48 PM)Piggy Wrote: with discount at ecp you could get very good synth oil at a economy price.
end of day....its an extra tenner maybe over the course of 4/5k.....but saving 100s on a rebuild and saving a major breakdown?!

you're saving huge on veg anyway?!?!

cheap oil is cheap for a reason.

^^This. You can save £30 or so on a tank of fuel by running veg. That's the difference in oil price paid for easily.

That reminds me.. i'd best do another oil change before FCS. A planned one though, not an impromptu "lets just empty my oil all over the motorway" kind of oil change lmao
Thanks given by:
Depositing your oil all over the road at random intervals is standard XUD servicing, no?!?
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 02:20 PM)Ruan Wrote: Depositing your oil all over the road at random intervals is standard XUD servicing, no?!?

Exactly. 12months, 6k miles, or whenever it all just randomly disappears. Says so in my service book.
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 02:28 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(14-06-2013, 02:20 PM)Ruan Wrote: Depositing your oil all over the road at random intervals is standard XUD servicing, no?!?

Exactly. 12months, 6k miles, or whenever it all just randomly disappears. Says so in my service book.

Does it also say anything about having to replace the turbo every few weeks?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 03:23 PM)Niall Wrote:
(14-06-2013, 02:28 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

Does it also say anything about having to replace the turbo every few weeks?

Yeah but it's like the GTi cambelt. Turns out you have to halve the original service interval, there was an amendment distributed to garages. For your benefit I have included the original transcript below:

Quote:From: Mr Peugeot
To: Everyone that works on Peugeots
CC: Chris Pellowe

Subject: Amendment to XUD9TE service procedure REF:SCOTTISHCUNT

To all concerned;

Recent developments have highlighted a major fault with retrofitted Garrett turbos that have been looked at by Chris Pellowe.

Any GT20 series that shows signs of chronic boost and amazeballsness should be changed at the earliest possible opportunity, preferably before it's driven just to be on the safe side.

Please replace like for like with a more expensive used turbo, then change it again with a brand new unit before the second has been driven.

This should ensure that all affected customers do not suffer any undesirable downtime or internet mockery.

Regards,

Mr Peugeot
Thanks given by:
^^^^^ ha ha quality!!!!!! Lovin your work mr pellowe
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  diesel fumes !!!! dec-66 9 2,300 28-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Last Post: dec-66
  Fumes.. n0v0s 9 2,328 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM