Advice on starting a GT2056s Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on starting a GT2056s Project
Well, I have been lucky this week in that I have been given a FULL week's work(sad I know) but I am at a turning point with my XTDT where I want to get in depth in the tuning game before it's too late. Ever since Ruan started harping on about the GT20 turbos I have said I want to do that, it's been a case of having no funds which is obviously not a problem now. Firstly, I need a GT2056s turbocharger (the "s" denotes a standard, non VNT unit). Here is the one I have in mind:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251283479194?s...1438.l2649

I then need some steel plates to make up the adapter plates:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mild-Steel-Pla...3382314bea

I then need a drill and appropiate drill bits to drill the plate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Redline...53f948acc8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-HSS-COBALT-J...53f015acfa

I then need some nyloc nuts and bolts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Stee...231b5dfef6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-6mm-A2-STAI...2c68e0d022

I will need an oil line

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-BRAI...2ebda5ac89

I will need a spare manifold:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/93-02-PEUGEOT-...3f25d5a27e

I could just take the turbo and the manifold to a welder and ask them to grind the studs off the turbo exhaust inlet and then weld it to the spare manifold but that would be lazy and then it would not be reusable if the turbo were to blow. I noticed that this turbo has the same kind of elbow and downpipe attachment as the 306 one does so no modification will be needed in that area. Also, the turbo finding website has disappeared from my favourites, does anyone have the link? I have tried using the search but no matter what I type it always returns 28 pages of results.
Thanks given by:
dieselavante.it buddy Wink

The elbow fitted to it is too restrictive, these things make a crazy amount of flow and will suffer massively without a big ol' elbow and downpipe. I run a 2.5" elbow on mine.

IIRC the Iveco ones use the standard 4 bolt rectangular Garrett flange at the turbine inlet, and the outlet is either a rare 4-bolt shape or more common 5-bolt shape, again the 5-bolt one is a pretty standard Garrett flange. You can buy ready cut flanges and gaskets for them, may be an option rather than cutting up some steel plate. Have a shop around and see what you can find.

The GT2056 i have has a triangular inlet to the hotside which meant all I needed to do was drill and tap new holes in the XUD mani. The four bolt patten you WILL need an adapter plate, bear in mind this will push the turbo closer to the bulkhead so consider your plate thickness wisely. They're not HUGE coldsides but big enough to cause clearance issues if you don't think it through.

TO be honest though, great choice of turbo. You'll definitely need a bigger fuel pump plunger to make the most of it though. And FWIW, run it at 24psi max and KEEP THE WASTEGATE. They have the ability to easily overspeed without the wastegate, something I discovered very quickly. On a 9mm pump the turbo will hit 35psi and beyond (albeit briefly before catastrophic failure), with a wastegate though at 22psi my 9mm is blowing clean on boost.

Any questions feel free to ask away. I feel i've become a bit of an expert on this particular variant now lol
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Heh, really helpful, thank you bud. Looks like I'll take the plunge then! It's all ruan's expertise I'm following though, I am a layman, got no idea how to read flow graphs and a/r ratios or whatnot. I think you have reassured me that I am not going to end up with a very expensive paperweight (at least not right away, heh). This will be my first custom job, I have never had to make something fit that wasn't made to fit before, at the moment I only have a vague idea of what I've got to do, but maybe once I get the unit things will become more clear.
Thanks given by:
Mine was my first custom fit blower too, just take your time and don't let your desire for epic boost cloud your judgement. If you're not happy how something fits, do it again until you're happy.

Think it all through, take your time, and you'll be fine. Get an MBC while you're at it and run it at a low psi for the first few runs, turn it up bit by bit. And when you're clocking it, make sure you make a decent bracket to mount the actuator, i used my T2 one off the old blower, but the mount is also a clamp for the compressor housing so make sure your bracket acts as a clamp too. You'll see what I mean when you have the turbo in your hands.
Thanks given by:
wouldn't bother buying steel plate online

most steel fabrication places will have offcuts they'll be happy to get rid of - might even drill a big hole in it for you too (save buying a hole saw)

same for getting an oil line made up, local hydraulics.

and bolts, get to a fasteners, you'll prob only have to give em enough money to keep in biscuits for the day.

infact most of it is better (in my experience) picking up local rather than waiting days for stuff to turn up that is invariably wrong.

get in your car and go out for a looksee, most of these places might be happy to offer help and advice too.
Thanks given by:
Right, my bargain unit has arrived, but it has some shaft play. It also has a couple of things that I am not sure about, but firstly I'll show you the video of the shaft play:

[Image: th_P1010019_zpsff9e4879.jpg]

I know the oil bearing will take up some of that slack and there is no in and out play which is good (I have the f*cked k03 that I bought for reference).

Then, there is this second actuator near the compressor outlet and some sort of actuator pipe coming out of the opposite end of the housing as well:

[Image: P1010010_zps00ea45b5.jpg]

Then, I know that this is the oil feed:

[Image: P1010016_zps7f62c18b.jpg]

And this is the oil return:

[Image: P1010017_zps5d4dcd48.jpg]

But what are these holes, both on the other sides opposite eachother:

[Image: P1010009_zps44caf40a.jpg]

[Image: P1010015_zps13810292.jpg]

?

Thanks, quite a confusing turbo this one! Edit: Yeah that is the same hole pictured, but there is one on the opposite side as well.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure why you buy turbos when you don't know what you're really doing?
Just because someone says its good, what makes you think YOU can make it good? I'd strongly recommend reading up online on various turbos, what these parts maybe, what these parts do, what issues you may encounter.

I only type this as I'd hate you to be stumped upon problems further down the line. I read this and anticipate failure Sad
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Ummm...what are you talking about? Judging by some of your posts I don't think you know what you are doing half the time.
Thanks given by:
Lol awaits sensible response from someone.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:13 PM)Anton Wrote: Lol awaits sensible response from someone.

That'll be a looong wait
Thanks given by:
Hmm...the last posts before ginge's seemed sensible, dunno when one person starts playing up it seems to have an effect on everyone else. He's probably trying to get me banned again.
Thanks given by:
I'm gona leave this thread now as i have absolutely no idea when it comes to turbo fitting but good luck Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:11 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I'm not sure why you buy turbos when you don't know what you're really doing?

lol

Ironic post is ironic.

The holes on the CHRA will be for water cooling mate. What's the turbo off, and what are the part numbers for it? PM me if you'd rather not share, but that looks miles different to mine. I'm genuinely curious Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:29 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(26-06-2013, 09:11 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I'm not sure why you buy turbos when you don't know what you're really doing?

lol

Ironic post is ironic.

Sorry? I fail to see the irony...

(26-06-2013, 09:12 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Ummm...what are you talking about? Judging by some of your posts I don't think you know what you are doing half the time.

Rich lmao
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:29 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

lol

Ironic post is ironic.

The holes on the CHRA will be for water cooling mate. What's the turbo off, and what are the part numbers for it? PM me if you'd rather not share, but that looks miles different to mine. I'm genuinely curious Smile

Hi, thanks for some clarity. I have just the photo to show you the part numbers:

[Image: P1010012_zps9288b526.jpg]

And thanks for letting me know about the water cooling, I had no idea about that!!
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:13 PM)Anton Wrote: Lol awaits sensible response from someone.

The OP is a complete lady garden.

Gospel
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
True story ^^^^
Thanks given by:
why is there ways two threads by the OP about the same thing?!!

didnt know about water cooling, never used a power tool before, yet attempting your own turbo fitment with a 65quid 'bargain'. eek
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Well that explains why its nothing like mine, its a GT2052. Bit misleading to have a GT2056S thread title and say you picked up a turbo when in fact it's not a '56.
Thanks given by:
Popcorn
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:48 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Well that explains why its nothing like mine, its a GT2052. Bit misleading to have a GT2056S thread title and say you picked up a turbo when in fact it's not a '56.

mega fail....

oh no, wait, repeat fail
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Do you not mean, constant fail?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Need for a repeat Popcorn ? Hell yeh..
Thanks given by:
He does say in his other thread it's a GT2052 he got for £65 that may need a rebuild. Just misleading that the thread is about hunting for a 56..
Thanks given by:
cant wait to see a rebuild 'help' thread next
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2013, 09:41 PM)ginge191 Wrote: True story ^^^^

Hmm, that's interesting, you've been okay with me before. I don't know what I have done to upset you during the period of my last ban (which of course I couldn't have done anything since I was banned) but you seem to have turned against me for some bizzarre and inexplicable reason in that time period.

(26-06-2013, 09:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: why is there ways two threads by the OP about the same thing?!!

didnt know about water cooling, never used a power tool before, yet attempting your own turbo fitment with a 65quid 'bargain'. eek

Right, where should I start with this ignorant post?Angry Okay, okay, I'll have a go at trying to break it down for you so that you can understand.

1. There are not two threads about the same thing. If you read the other thread you will see that it is about how to put these items together, NOT to ask about the specific unit itself.

2. How would I know about water cooling? It is not a necessity for 306s.

3. Why would I have used a power tool before? I fail to see your logic here.

4. Yes, if you READ what cwspellowe said, he had never done a custom turbo job before either, so what's your problem with mine?

5. Yes it's £65, is that a bad thing to get it that cheap, are you jealous? How about watching the video and being helpful for a change.

(26-06-2013, 09:45 PM)Piggy Wrote: why is there ways two threads by the OP about the same thing?!!

(26-06-2013, 09:48 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Well that explains why its nothing like mine, its a GT2052. Bit misleading to have a GT2056S thread title and say you picked up a turbo when in fact it's not a '56.

Hang on a minute, hang on, hang on. I get unbanned at 9.47. I have been waiting for the past 2 days to make the threads, I am tired. You are having a go at me for not changing the thread title because I forgot? And yet you again were fine before I was banned (for nothing I might add) now you are accusing me of being misleading? Right. I don't know how I have managed to offend you but I am really trying hard to not lash out at people because it feels like the whole world is against me (as usual).

Add on that ginge being an annoying lady garden and his little boyfriend backing him up I am trying really hard not to smash my computer into the wall.

(26-06-2013, 09:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: cant wait to see a rebuild 'help' thread next

So you are born with this knowledge then are you? Idiot.
Thanks given by:
I would post a helpful and constructive comment but seems I'll just get it throw back in my face. As such, I can't be arsed.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Why would you think that? Have you seen anyone give a helpful and constructive post and had it thrown back in their face? If so, please feel free to provide examples.
Thanks given by:
Helpful post :

Read, read, search, swear, read, fail.
Thanks given by:
You've bought the wrong turbo (my opinion) for a start, what are you going to do about the recirculation valve?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GT2056s oil feed question simonh 2 1,562 21-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: simonh
  Problem turbo pressure gt2056s niciou 6 2,957 30-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: niciou
  lb/ft max gt2056s niciou 0 1,075 13-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: niciou