Anyone know much about MGBs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know much about MGBs
Basically i have got a MGB that i have got passed on to me after my dad passed away. I have had it for over 5 years and havent done anything to it as it doesnt really interest me and isnt my sort of thing. I have been speaking to my nan and have decided to sell it on. My question is does anyone have much knowledge of these motors? How much is it worth? Its a 1963 in blue with a soft top. Pretty sure it runs just need some new batteries and ideally could do with a respray.

Anyone help me out? What any more info ask and i will see what i can do
Thanks given by:
stick some pictures up, and have a good look for rust.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I haven't got any pics and cant get any as its at my nans in their museum.
Its pretty simular to this 1 but blue and a 1963
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1971-MG-B-Road...614wt_1137

It has been stored in the dry for the last 5 years
Thanks given by:
How has the engine been laid up? if it hasn't then don't crank it, there's a chance the piston rings will have seized to the bores and the engine will need a rebuild, and cranking it over would only damage the bores.

Thanks given by:
Im pretty sure it has been regular started and drove round a bit every so often. Any idea what its worth?
Thanks given by:
I'd say upwards of £3000 if it's in good nick and if its mint, then anything up to £12000

Edit: if there's a lot of rust, I think around £1000, the logbook is worth a fair chunk, plus it's tax exempt.

Thanks given by:
Ok cheers bud. I know it is hard to say without seeing the car.

Think my nan has someone going to look at it tomorrow and i just want a rough price really

I have fort about getting it MOT'd but that would mean i need to get some batteries and the 6volt batteries aint cheap and i really dont have any spare time at the moment
Thanks given by:
Ask rippthrough he has one as a garden ornament! Lol
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Even if it's rough, an early soft-top 'B is worth 2-3 grand even as a project really...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
The thing you got going for it is that's its the more desirable chrome bumper model

What museum is it in?
Thanks given by:
The main things for value on these are:

- Rust
- Hood condition
- Overdrive
- Tax exempt

Everything else is easy and cheap, if yours ticks these boxes it's worth a few quid Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:06 PM)swampy Wrote: The thing you got going for it is that's its the more desirable chrome bumper model

What museum is it in?

My grandparents have there own little museum with a fair few classic cars and loads of collectable bits and bobs. Its pretty amazing to be fair. There have about 10 morris minors

(05-06-2013, 09:18 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: The main things for value on these are:

- Rust
- Hood condition
- Overdrive
- Tax exempt

Everything else is easy and cheap, if yours ticks these boxes it's worth a few quid Wink

Im pretty hopeful it doesnt have any rust, hood condition im not sure on, it has overdrive and i would guess its tax exempt as its a 1963 one
Thanks given by:
if its a particularly rust free shell and the engines good then the market for these is huge, pre 73 makes it even more desirable
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
MG you say...
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
This sounds awesome
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My sister in law has a stunning MGB convertible in RAF blue with all the chrome trimmings.. awesome little motor and sounds great.. a classic bit of British motoring mate.

As mentioned above, if they are well maintained and pretty rust free that can be worth a few bob. I would suggest going onto the MG forums and get a feel for things there mate Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 10:47 PM)lolsteve Wrote: MG you say...

Yes mate, this is what they used to make before they made Rovers Wink
Thanks given by:
My old man is interested in this, any chance of some pictures?

Thanks given by:
frosty have a look at a mag called practical classics, as they have info about mgbs,
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 12:08 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: My old man is interested in this, any chance of some pictures?

I might try and pop over on the weekend and get some pics

(06-06-2013, 12:13 PM)procta Wrote: frosty have a look at a mag called practical classics, as they have info about mgbs,

ok cheers I will look into it
Thanks given by:
My mate just sold a 73 bgt with 12 months test took 6 month to sell and got 1000 for it collectors are after minters projects ain't going for much
Dragoon Blue Estate in a bit of a State
Thanks given by:
Christ I'd have had that. Rubber bumpers or chrome? Must be rubber for that, think that was the changeover year...
Thanks given by:
So had a phone call from the guy who went to have a look at the mgb today. He said that he had a good look over the car to find out that it is in pretty poor shape. The main bits he said are it needs a rear wing, both seals, floor plan, rear spring, front suspension rebuild and a full re spray. The current colour is not the orginal colour. Also as it has been sat up for a while he thinks it will need all the brakes sorting and not sure how it runs as its got no batteries so cant start it.

After he had said all that i was pretty gutted to be fair but he sounded like he knew what he was on about so i trust him. We then got on to money and i now didnt have a clue what it was worth. He was trying to get me to say but i just didnt know what to say so in the end he said £1000. I didnt really know what to say so i said i will think about it and speak to my grandparents and will get back to him over the weekend and then poss meet up with him at the car so he can show me whats wrong with it. Im pretty hopefully he will go a bit higher on a price and i would like to sell it to him as he is going to do all the work and get it back to its former best
Thanks given by:
frosty, buy a practical classic mag tomorrow, as they have price guides on these. you don't want to be giving this a way! also you can buy new shells for these aswell as anything else!
Thanks given by: