6' Owners i need your help..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6' Owners i need your help..
Right ok, To cut a long story short i've been considering going back to petrol for some time now and have been thinking about a 328i but the insurance is fairly high and i know they aren't amazing on fuel.. A 6' has a fairly similar 0 - 60 and top end is only marginally different but the fuel seems to be better on paper and insurance is a fair amount cheaper, i like the way the 306 drives so..

A) Realistically what are they like on fuel, motorway, hooning and average.

B) Thing to look out for? I've heard the cambelts are a bit temperamental and can snap? Guessing the usual 306 stuff, beam camber etc.. Also about them being a tapper? If it is a 'tapper' what causes it and what needs to be replaced to rectify the issue.

Thanks Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Never had a GTi6 but ive had 2 XSi cabbys so basically the same engine and same massive weight.

Between both of them Ive averaged 28-29mpg mainly round town and round the airport dual carriageways. With a motorway drive at 70mph I averaged 38mpg. If I hoon it I get less than 20mpg.

Cam belt being changed is important, a tapper is one where its had the belt snap and not had the damage inside the head repaired.

Other than that its usual 306 things to look for.
Thanks given by:
I don't own a '6 but they do like to snap cambelts for Lols. A "tapper" iirc is bent valves, so a quick head rebuild will sort it.

If they are anything like my xsi on fuel they are horrendous.

But buy a '6

I only have an xsi as I have put so much money into it I can't bare to part lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Matt what is your fuel ecomomy? do you ever work it out?
Thanks given by:
6s really aren't that bad on fuel. They'll average around 26-28mpg around town, and if you're driving at 70 on the motorway you can get around 34/35mpg, more if you stick to 60.

Things to look out for are as you pointed out whether it's tapping. It's very easy to hear, they sound tragic. If it's a tapper it means the cambelt has snapped and the head will need rebuilding, which I believe costs around £700 to get put right if you rebuild it properly.

If you go to see any, ask when the cambelt was last changed and if it was around 30k ago then knock some money off, and don't let people tell you that you only need it done every 60k.
Thanks given by:
Nope not really, I just judge it on how many times I fill up hahaha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Would really love to drive one but there isn't any at dealers round here and my insurance won't cover me to drive a different car which is a PITA..

Fuel doesn't sound too bad considering if i get made redundant then i'm not going to be driving very much and insurance is only marginally more than what i'm paying at the moment..
Thanks given by:
Matt start tracking your MPG here http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

And see if its really something you can complain about
Thanks given by:
If your worried about mpg don't get either ha ha mine goes into single figures if Iam with Dum Dum ha ha
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd agree with Scott on the mpg, I get about 25 - 28mpg driving too and from work (4 mile journey in stop start city traffic).

On a run it will easily be over 30.

Head rebuilts can be more expensive than that though, I have an invoice for £1200 for a full head repair/skim/guides in my service history.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Ouch.. it'd be cheaper to swap the engine
Thanks given by:
Maybe I'm thinking of the cost of a recon head rather than a full rebuild? I thought I'd seen that it was more than that somewhere but wasn't sure.
Thanks given by:
If you own a 6 or a thirsty petrol dont start thinking about economy lol
Thats what diesels are for :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Also Danny, just a thought, you know if your HDi is running right then its probably faster than a 6.

Youll only be buying the car for the noise.
Thanks given by:
I'm only running limited torque remember so i'm not sure, Once i get it on the dyno i'll know what sort of power it's running..

Gah i'm so confused :/ Boost and mpg'z or bwarp and revs..
Thanks given by:
If you're poor (like me), go for mpgs.............if you can afford to shove petrol in without worrying about the cost then petrol all the way!!
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:If you're poor (like me), go for mpgs.............if you can afford to shove petrol in without worrying about the cost then petrol all the way!!
Only reason why im in a derv Undecided
Thanks given by:
To be fair Danny, if your at all worried about mpg I'd stick with the HDI, if your always worrying about mpg you won't enjoy a '6 at all, or any juicy petrol. From what I've heard though the 328i is actually better on juice than a '6, f*ck knows how...

I've just worked out my mpg in the Octavia and on this last tankful I've done nothing but drive round town, and I've been giving it some real bwaaaaaarp and I've got 27 mpg, but I can see 40+ on a run :mrgreen:
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:If you're poor (like me), go for mpgs.............if you can afford to shove petrol in without worrying about the cost then petrol all the way!!
Only reason why im in a derv Undecided

Well as far as I can see it is the only reason for owning a derv tbh, if you want boost you can get a turbo petrol, if you want cheap tax you can buy a 'supermini' which are still pretty pretty quick due to thier lack of weight........................so mpg is the only reason to own a diesel imo.
Thanks given by:
TBH mate If your at risk of loosing your job Id probably stick with the diesel. Save bwap and revs for when your secure.
Thanks given by:
HDi will be staying at least till June which is when my renewal comes through and i'm 20.. I'll find out before then whether or not I'll be keeping my job so any decisions will be made after then
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:TBH mate If your at risk of loosing your job Id probably stick with the diesel. Save bwap and revs for when your secure.

Exactly this.
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Depends what sort of journeys you do bud!! We have a Saharan derv that my missus probably does 50 miles a week in, I just got her a 1.8 Mazda 323 as the fuel is cheaper and until the derv is warmed up it's not that economical, tbh It's been cheaper running the Mazda day to day, on a run it's the derv all the way!! Swings and roundabouts I suppose
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
When i had mine it was a bad tapper due to the cambelt been done incorrectly. Belt vlves is the cause as said so a new head or rebuilt head is the answer but there not cheap.

When i had mine done it was also cammed(came in the head) and the power increase was very noticable but i was only pushing 20mpg on a motorway run. I never really worked it out before i had the work done but it was not too bad really
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
I get just over 30mpg combined out of my Rallye. Around 330 â??350 miles a tank. As said make sure the belt has been done at least every 30k.

For further reading the 6 owners site has a buyers guide in the faq section
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
If the cambelt is anything over 25k knock 300quid off minimum.

Don't buy a tapper unless you have a spare engine kicking about; head rebuilds are expensive as above and if you don't sort it out fairly swiftly you'll drop a valve and thatll f*ck the head and your pistons aswell...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
whistle And DEFINATLY DONT get a ph2
Thanks given by:
I havent seen below 350 miles to a tank on my Rallye with a combination of hooning and normal driving. Granny driving and 70mph limit see's me up to 440-50 miles to a tank and this really suprised me! Im not complaining at all. As said the cambelt wants to be changed and other than that they are fairly reliable and somewhat torquey for a NASP that has no variable valve timing and 170Bhp.

All in all i love my Rallye and would recommend a 6 to anyone!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
450miles? Seriously?
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Deadly serious, if you know Sorrento Mark he will also back me up as his Rallye does exactly the same.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by: