torsion bar mod, stiffer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
torsion bar mod, stiffer
Hey all,

I want to lower my 306 dturbo and wondered if you can replace the torsion bar for a firmer one because if i lower it i don't want it to be impracticle with body rub etc?

Found out the biggest is 25mm if anyone needs to know
Thanks given by:
There was a group buy a little while ago that went to 28/30 mm iirc
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Nah, thickest torsion bars we got were 25mm. ARB's went up to 30mm.

You can fit thicker than 25mm torsion bars but you need to dismanltle the beam to fit them.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
25mm are pretty damned stiff though Big Grin

Xsara VTS should have stiffer bars in the back than your dtub, fit some of those.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
lol

I have 25's in mine, raised the ride heiight about 2" with the same damper bolt distances
Thanks given by:
23.5 is just nice on mine, corners so flat but stays comfy
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Gti bars would be enough in a DT IMO. You wouldnt get any rub

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
All right thats great so gti or 23's should be okay to strait swap in and out?

and also will i have to change anything else to accompany it?
Thanks given by:
After a certain size they dont fit without modification, but up to that size its easy in and out. Although thats easier said than done.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 07:20 PM)Tom Wrote: After a certain size they dont fit without modification, but up to that size its easy in and out. Although thats easier said than done.

And that certain size is 23.5
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 07:20 PM)Tom Wrote: After a certain size they dont fit without modification, but up to that size its easy in and out. Although thats easier said than done.

Stop kidding yourself therr is no easy in & out when it comes to PCG rear beams that are 11-18 years old lol

Thanks given by:
Yeah , 23.5 fits, but keep the paint thin lol I'm being serious, they are CLOSE!!

Thanks given by:
Aw wait, yeah I have 23.5's in mine, i forgot aha. But yes it's awful snug. The splines are thicker than 23.5mm but the grooves between the splines aren't.
Thanks given by:
Yeh if you look at mine there's grooves in the paint Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 07:59 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Yeh if you look at mine there's grooves in the paint Big Grin

See this is why you have to be sensible like me and mask up and spray them after fitting

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 08:37 PM)puglove Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 07:59 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Yeh if you look at mine there's grooves in the paint Big Grin

See this is why you have to be sensible like me and mask up and spray them after fitting

OR.. the finished bars still get the paint scraped off them because for some reason they painted the ends too when they made them

I adjusted the height of mine on Sunday and they were an absolute ballache to get out
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 08:39 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:37 PM)puglove Wrote:

OR.. the finished bars still get the paint scraped off them because for some reason they painted the ends too when they made them

I adjusted the height of mine on Sunday and they were an absolute ballache to get out

Was that greased aswell?

Thanks given by:
Mmhmm, i had to use an impact gun and a high tensile bolt and spacers to pull the bars out. Also needed to cut the thread again for the end bolts. Machining work really wasnt up to much tbh, maybe it was just mine
Thanks given by:
Really Chris? That's a ballache, might pull mine just to keep them free then.

Thanks given by:
Yeah, when I unscrewed the torx headed end bolts i noticed the threads had been flattened, so had to re-cut the threads in the bars or I couldn't wind an M8 bolt in to pull them out...
Thanks given by:
Hmm, did you fit them?

Thanks given by: