Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower engine mount, the hard way.
So i came across a citreon berlingo 2.0 hdi in work that needed an engine mount, perfect guide material.

Firstly you want to safely jack the car up and wack it on axle stands, or a ramp.

Youll see the engine mount at the back of the sump with a bracket attatched, remove this bracket.. 16mm i believe.     removed.

Next you want to unbolt the 2, 11mm nuts that hold the driveshaft.        

Next is the hub nut, i had an air gun for this but if you havent get someone to stand on the brakes whilst the car is in 5th gear.    

Now the pinch bolt for the bottom ball joint, once again 16mm i believe. It was abit of a pain to get a socket and a spanner on the bolt and nut but keep trying and youll get it eventually.     once thats out, the bottom ball joint should pop out easy enough with a few wacks to the wishbone with a hammer.

Pull the hub towards the back of the car and pull the driveshaft out, you may have to hit the driveshaft at the end with a copper hammer (dont do what i do and hit the threads by accident).    

Wiggle the driveshaft and it should pop out, make sure youve got a tray under the diff to catch the gearbox oil.

Now theres only 3, 13mm bolts holding the mount in. Remove them and gently tap the mount with a hammer it should come off. (Apologies, forgot to take a picture).

Next part is removing the pressed in mount, theres 2 ways to do it. Either cut the sleeve and wack it out with a chisel or just go at it with a chisel from the off. I cut my rubber bit out of the centre, used a hacksaw to cut the sleeve and battered it with a chisel.                

Now once the old mount is out, clean it up with a wire brush and spray some wd40 in there. The next step you will either need a press or someone who can press it in for you. Get the new mount positioned correctly in the press [Image: dyquvava.jpg] and press away. Becareful as you get to the end, there is a tiny lip to stop it going through but just to make sure keep an eye on it.

Now you should have something like this.. [Image: rypytysa.jpg] refit as your removed everything and give yourself a pat on the back Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top engine mount cup repair (bodge style) DeeTurbo 8 5,841 18-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Last Post: phil clark
  Replacing lower engine mount in situ Niall 15 12,354 22-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Tom