possible alternator failure?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible alternator failure?
Well after 4 years of trouble free peugeot motoring, I have finally broken down! Luckily only on my drive.
Cars been acting a bit funny over the past few weeks. Bad running, lights go dim when i use the windows and then today the dials were very dim and stereo was occasionally cutting out. Took it for a drive today, got back parked up and switched it off. Went out to it about 20 mins later and again, all the electrics were lazy and dim lights and when i started it, it barely started. Put my meter over the battery on idle and had 13.1v and a slight wine from the alternator area. Turned it off and checked that battery voltage and im getting 11.1v. Normally i would just say oh the battery is buggered/flat as the idle voltage would be low until its charged up then it should reach 14.4 but weird thing was, after a while the voltage started moving all over the place without any change of load. Was varying by 1v either way.

Bad battery (which would be a result as its still under warranty) or bad alternator?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I would defo say alternator.
Thanks given by:
Just checked and the 1.8 unit is the same as the 2.0 so will swap it with a spare one i have from my 1.8 one evening this week. Will also order some terminal adaptors for my battery condition tester and see if my battery is ok.

Just been out and checked and when the car is locked and the ecus have shut down, the car is drawing less than 0.01a so there is nothing draining the battery and all the obvious earths are well within resistance tolerances so must be a bad battery or alternator. God that alternator looks like a tosser to get out Sad
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
looked at mine on the 6 today as i thought the bearing was whineing, was going to do it all with the manifold off,
lucky it wernt that though.
your right its a right tight jammed in sod im not even sure how to takle it maybe from below removing the aircon compressor ?
Thanks given by:
There not too bad.
Take the front end and rad out the way.
Take the auto tensioner off withb2 6mm alan key bolts, 2 16mm bolts on the alternator, And it'll pull out. Other option is to have the inlet off to gain access.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by: