Power steering leak.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering leak.
Ive located the vague area that I think its coming from the inner wheel is this possible? Whats the best way about fixing it if it anywhere else
[Image: 2jcaw6b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Will be the ram. If yours still has it, pull the bag back off it and see if it is oily. They go down hill rapidly. I had my gti for 400 miles and within that time, I lost 1.5 litres of oil then suddenly on a roundabout turning in hard, it Shat the seal big time and dumped the entire contents of the ram and HP hose on the roundabout and sent me a bit sideways lol.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Whats the best way to go about getting that sorted is it something thats doable on the drive?
Thanks given by:
Yeah easy you need a new ram from the same model as your car. Undo the two HP unions (need asmall spanner. Bit fiddly wwith the subframe in the way) then undo a bolt on either end of the ram and replace. Took me about 45 minutes to do mine and I rounded one of the unions off.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats doesnt sound to bad then. Are the sided at all or will it fit left or right? Found this one on ebay any any chance it would replace a hdi?
Thanks given by:
No link there mate. Get one from the same phase and not from a gti (unless you have a gti) and it will fit.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1274408172
my bad. Ill have a ring round in the week see if there are any about
Thanks given by:
If it's for your hdi, don't buy that ram. It's the ram that restricts the right hand lock on the gtis. Get one from a hdi. Then it will be the right pressure and correct lock to lock. Not to mention that one is expensive!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Like Niall said, I bought a complete rack used off eBay from a hdi, took ram off in the front yard and did it on ramps outside the house, simples really, apart from I rounded the lower hydraulic hose so was a PITA to get my hands up the limited space to swap over with the ones on the donor rack but essentially a really easy job, 2 big bolts and 2 hydraulic hoses, bolt off bolt on.

Also inc postage my donor rack with ram was only a smidge over £20 inc delivery :-)
Thanks given by:
Seems a much better price ill start trawling for a donor
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Pump, All The Same? bigcheez2k3 14 4,124 20-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: vento85
  Power steering rack.....replacement options Jellomanpie 9 3,477 30-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Power Sterering Ram/ Steering damper pugfrank 6 3,116 08-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Last Post: pugfrank