Different ways of lowering a torsion bar..?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different ways of lowering a torsion bar..?
All I know is theres the pikey way and the proper way... anyone care to explain a little more so I know what i'm talking about comes lowering time? Cheers
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
The proper way is to remove the torsion bars mthe pikey way is the easier way (normaly) and involves smashing the trailing arm off.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Im hoping to lower mine again on monday. If i cant do it the proper way then the pikey way will have to do!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok so just smashing the arm off, turning it a bit and smashing it back on - so effectively the spline has still moved a few notches?

What are the downsides to the pikey way? (i.e. what makes it pikey?) haha
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
People say that the suspension isnt independant anymore but that isnt stricktly true.
Thanks given by:
Also,it all normally stars to fall apart after the pikey way
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Not always Niall!
Thanks given by:
Hmm, ive had two cars which ive paid others to do and I know the first was done properly but not sure about the second (hes a bit pikey) lol but never noticed any different!

Will wait and see if any suspension gurus comment before I post on the GTi site and get hammered for even suggesting that theres more than one method haha
Black 306 Rallye
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
The guy who did mine explained to me (I have forgot the science behind it now) but said there really wasnt much difference! Depends what you prefer.
Thanks given by:
I find hitting the trailing arm the pikey way causes the bearings to mark the shafts, and it will normally end up too high or low, the correct way it can be set anywhere
Thanks given by:
Ye the pikey way you only have set amounts you can go!
Thanks given by:
i've lowered 3 torsion bars, 2 i dont myself, another done by KrisB, all times done the ssame way, by removing the torsion bars - never would i pikey it due to it ruining the torsion bar bearings - the notch method, from what i understand, "snaps" the bearings past each other to move it... not healthy
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I did my old beam the pokey way and it was absolutely fine.
Thanks given by:
Mine was lowered 3 notches on the notch method and then raised slightly using the torsion bar out method. And to be honest, I think my beam is because of the notch method!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
OK I CBA to read the thread but the two ways are,

1- the proper way - this is to pull the torsion bars out, raise the suspension using a jack to the required height and then rotate the bar until it slots back in again

advantages of this are that you don't disturb the bearings for the trailing arms and you can put the car at any height you want as you can rotate the bar until it goes in at both ends)

disadvantages of this method is that its more involved, a bit fiddly and generally harder to do than just smashing the arms off!

2 - the pikey way - this is reserved for when the above isn't going to plan or for when your a pikey! it involves using a BFO hammer and smashing the inside of the trailing arms (after removing the bolts obviously) which knocks the trailing arm out of the beam tube and will pull one end of the bar free.

advantages of this method are that its relatively easy to do and normally works if you hit it hard enough.

disadvantages of doing it like this is that you can only lower the car in massive steps as you only get one end of the torsion bar free so you have only one spline at a time of adjustment, (IIRC its something like 30mm, 50mm, 80mm) vs putting it where you like with the above method, the other problem doing it like this is that you are disturbing the bearings in the rear beam by removing and re-fitting the trailing arms, if the bearings are worn the are likely to drop to bits when you remove the trailing arm meaning that you can't put it back together or more likely not go back quite right resulting in the bearings wearing out almost instantly giving you the dreaded rear camber!

Hope that helps, obviously all of the above is IMO but this is speaking from experience Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mines bin done the pikey way and my rear axle as bin lowered coming up 2and half years now and bearings still good and not evan camberd Smile
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Only reason the pikey way can result in a failing beam is because it disturbs your bearings / seals...but if they do fail shortly afterm than they were f*cked anyway so might as well have been replaced...

The pikey way doesn't have to lower in set amounts, that's just if your uber lazy and only let one side come out.... The whole point of the arm smashing method is if you dont have a slide hammer / puller.... All you do is leave one side fixed, smash it till it releases, then put it back in, fix the other side, and smash again, then it will be free both ends, and torsion bar can be removed fully as per doing it the correct way.... best bet is to just do it the "pikey" way and change the bearings / seals while your at it, job done.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
i would say the bearings have bin changed on mine as its still fine 2 and a half years later Smile
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
Thanks given by:
I was more refering to the "notch method" Darren which is a half arsed attempt at what you call the "pikey method" lol

studturbo Wrote:i would say the bearings have bin changed on mine as its still fine 2 and a half years later Smile

Cool story Bro............
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
How much do the bearings and seals cost?
Thanks given by:
wasnt cheap cost me £100 in all bearings and seals
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:How much do the bearings and seals cost?

Last time I looked a refurb kit was ~£80 Smile

Edit:- OK they have gone up a bit......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-3 ... 3648wt_762
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Omg!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Omg!

What??? A refurbed beam is about £250+.....
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
thats cheap that foxy lol
Thanks given by:
i payed 100 for all mine
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Foxy-jim Wrote:How much do the bearings and seals cost?

Last time I looked a refurb kit was ~£80 Smile

Edit:- OK they have gone up a bit......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-3 ... 3648wt_762

Ill be watching that mark as i am going to change mine again soon Smile
Thanks given by:
What should I do then? Should I buy them in case the bearings are ruined or just see what happens?
Thanks given by:
Just do it and see what happens.............

OK Stu, we know you paid £100 for yours..........you told us twice within 5 mins.........
studturbo Wrote:wasnt cheap cost me £100 in all bearings and seals

studturbo Wrote:i payed 100 for all mine

And triple post, WTF, edit button exists for a reason, please use it!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Just do it and see what happens.............

OK Stu, we know you paid £100 for yours..........you told us twice within 5 mins.........
studturbo Wrote:wasnt cheap cost me £100 in all bearings and seals

studturbo Wrote:i payed 100 for all mine

And triple post, WTF, edit button exists for a reason!

Sorry mark :'(
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowering a torsion bar, nick method... GP123 28 16,657 22-09-2021, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Alan_M
  torsion bar lowering south east? connorp 1 1,157 26-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Torsion bar lowering Porty 4 1,616 14-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Last Post: Porty