K14 'turned up' 12 psi before.... 10 after :/

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K14 'turned up' 12 psi before.... 10 after :/
As title smokey has always been smokey on boost, so figured id give the turbo a turn up, fuel has been adjusted for a while now so figured while smokey was up in the air id give the turbo a turn.... Undone the 8mm gave the allen key a turn 'clockwise' a turn and i got... 10 psi :/

Thought i may have turned it the wrong way as i was lay under the car so got home so turned it clockwise another turn.... Same again 10psi smokey on boost

The boost comp has not been touched... Anyone got any ideas?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a f*cked actuator to me.

You definitely have no boost leaks anywhere?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 08:01 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Sounds like a f*cked actuator to me.

You definitely have no boost leaks anywhere?

Im not sure, gonna pop out in the morning with some brake cleaner/wd40 n give it a spray see if it revs, or is that no good?
Thanks given by:
Ideally you want an air line and to plug each end of the inlet system and see if it holds air. If you're not on an FMIC though that won't be easy.

Could be a knackered actuator spring and the wastegate is just flapping about. Did you feel the wastegate arm tighten up at all when you turned the allen key?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 08:09 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Ideally you want an air line and to plug each end of the inlet system and see if it holds air. If you're not on an FMIC though that won't be easy.

Could be a knackered actuator spring and the wastegate is just flapping about. Did you feel the wastegate arm tighten up at all when you turned the allen key?

A little bit dude, still on topmount, could it be overfueling? Although apart from smokey it was fibe at 12 psi :/
Thanks given by:
Screw it some more mate Wink I ended up having to do mine 4 turns before it upped the boost Wink

Thanks given by:
Surely you didnt loose boost first though? :p
Thanks given by:
Nope but it didn't do anything at all lol if you have no boost leaks just skrew it :p

Thanks given by:
Chances are you've just tightened the locknut back down when you try and screw in the actuator bolt. Remove the bolt completely, then wind the nut back on the bolt first, then wind it back into the actuator with the allen key.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 11:17 PM)Dave Wrote: Chances are you've just tightened the locknut back down when you try and screw in the actuator bolt. Remove the bolt completely, then wind the nut back on the bolt first, then wind it back into the actuator with the allen key.

what Dave said^^^^^^^ it's awkward, i find the best way is to undo the locknut, leave the socket on and hold it tight while you put an allen key through the middle to adjust the wastegate .. Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
This morning: backed the fuel of half a turn,

wound out the boost comp 2 turns,

Turned the lda pin

It was cleaner off boost but still struggling for power, so

wound the boost Comp out another 2 turns and upped the fuel a turn

Planted 2nd and got 10 psi Then ran out of revs

Planted 3rd and got 12-4 again so now im getting somewhere, it has been running hot today but unsure how much of that is just down to the weather and the fact i have no interior fan atm and how much of it is a fuel/running problem
Thanks given by:
listen as far as regards turbo, tighten the wastegate ALL the way in and then back it off half a turn, with fuel to match you should now hit 20-30 psi . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, its holding 14 psi now in third so its an improvment over yesterday :/
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 06:10 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: Fair enough, its holding 14 psi now in third so its an improvment over yesterday :/

yes well done,you've got it back to standard lol . . . . .i have a K14 as well and that's what i've done, results in my sig . .Smile
Thanks given by:
Ye i know your has been running that for a while now hasnt it? Is yours smokey at all?
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 06:17 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: Ye i know your has been running that for a while now hasnt it? Is yours smokey at all?

yeah about 18 months, it's one of the least smokey ones i've seen, ground pin made a good improvement on smoke reduction, they all smoke if you plant it in too low a gear though . .Smile
Thanks given by:
Bosch injectors in: Same boost (14-16)
Fixed fuel leak, trimmed and reffited pipe onto the lda cap: 10 psi...
Wtf!!
[Image: nu5y9edu.jpg]
[Image: da5yryny.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Had EXACTLY the same with mine pal! Turned the fuelling up/boost compensator, went to turn up the turbo, released the lock nut and gave it 2 turns... Plugged mates boost gauge in and got 10 PSi... Then the following day, got underneath the car again and gave it a good winding in and then the bolt that winds in shaked and popped itself straight out into my hand... Where the monkey who had probably had the car before me threaded it or maybe it was down to the spring pressure on the threads itself, now i've got no screw in my wastegate so a breath of air and it opens, but still boosts at 13 psi... All i'd say mate is to make life easier, get a Manual Boost Controller.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Its getting on my wick now,, it finally decided it wanted to boost to 16 then as i say i had to sort my fuel leak, and noticed the boost comp pipe was split (but could only have been for a day as i checked it all 2 days before due to a injector union needing to be nipped up, turbo and fuel havent been touched for 2-3 weeks, contemplating giving the turbo plenty more turns.

Iv got an mbc in the garage but not fitted, dont fancy struggling to cut the line while the turbo is still on the car.
Thanks given by:
Have you checked for boost leaks? They're a lot more common on XUD's than you think! Also, sometimes you may have to give it a good 3 or 4 turns before anything actually happens! With regards to the boost controller, it's always easier to fit when off the car, but the turbo is a long job in itself, for 2 minutes work to it the controller then another long job to refit the turbo!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
check that tmic d seal and all ya jubilees.

as said...worth winding the bolt in all the way...back half turn and control with fuel

my k14 is screaming now but still boosting 22psi
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
D seal is fine not stretched etc, jubilee on tmic is tight, thats the only one that has ever been touched, havent touch the turbo or fuel since the drop in psi, coals even more than it used to now too loosing patience with it, more go in a 1.4 atm
Thanks given by:
Fit a 405 td intercooler, made some of my smoke go away haha! What's happening is your fuelling isn't matched by the turbo so it's constantly over fuelling on and off boost. That's what mine runs like atm until i can get a MBC for it. Give the turbo a good 3-4 turns and watch the boost gauge
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by: