Replacing gear linkage bush

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Replacing gear linkage bush
Why would i want to do this?
Over the years, just like anything mechanical, the bush wears out leaving a very vague gear change and sloppy gear stick. Also, the grease drys out over time meaning the gear changes are quite stiff. Replacing the bush gives a tighter more positive gear change.

How easy is it? Very. Takes 30-45 minutes. You will need a jack and stands, 10 and 12mm spanners and something to pry your gear linkages off. I just used a large screw driver. You will also need a hammer and chisel and some high temperature grease.

Where can i get the bush from?
Peugeot only sell this as part of the linkage arm which as you can imagine is quite costly. You can buy the same bush from Bearing Boys

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/GB3240DU_Sp...sh-14905-p

Jack the car up and support with axle stands. As long as its not in the way, leave the jack under the car for good measure

Now, look above your cat (or where it used to be!) If you own any model except for a GTi, you should be able to see the bottom of the gear stick. There is a pivot bolt that goes through that. 10mm nut on a 12mm bolt. Undo that and place it to one side.
If you own a GTi, for some reason Peugeot have added another heat shield to cover the gear shifter. Possibly because of higher exhaust temps? I dont know and dont really care. This is held on by 4 10mm nuts. I suggest before undoing them, you soak them in plusgas for a little while. One of mine sheared off and now its rattling Sad Once undone, Slide the heat shield back towards the back the car.

Now, go and open the bonnet and look down the back of the engine and you should see the three linkages. You want to pop the two smaller ones off. If you are still using the original pug linkages, they should practically fall off! Once they are off, place to one side, and get back under the car. Grab the selector rod and move it over towards the drivers side of the car. It should slide off the ball nicely then you just need to wiggle it out from between the exhaust tunnel and exhaust. Bit tricky but not too bad. Be careful to not get it tangled up in your lambda sensor wiring.

Once out, take it in to the garage and put in the vice

Poor picture but as you can see, the bush only sits in part of the housing. Could of bought a longer bush but it may get in the way of the ball arm when changing gear so i wouldnt bother. Also, you can see where the ball has been wearing on the bush over the years. You can actually feel a dip in the metal.
Heat it up and use either a chisel or a 27mm socket to smash the old bush out. Now, this is far from easy. I found it easier with the socket as it was applying pressure all the way round but it did mark the outside of my socket which i then had to hammer out with a slightly smaller socket!

Comparison of the new and old

To replace, heat the gear selector rod and place the new bush in place (on the right side. Bush should be nearer to the passengers side). Hammer into place (make sure it goes in straight otherwise you will ruin the new bush). I found it was better to hammer it in from the side that the ball doesnt go through on fitting as when i was hammering it, it did create a small lip. Only took a few seconds to remove with the dremel but left a fairly uneven surface. Liberally coat the inside of the bush with high temp grease (you could use normal but you will find it will dry out after a while seeing as it is so close to the exhaust)

Now go and fit! Before you do, take a rag and go and clear off all the old dirty dried out grease off of the ball and cover with nice new grease.
Refitting is a reversal of removal.

Also, i would recommend making sure your gear linkages are on securely otherwise you may find your self hammering it up a dual carriageway, slamming it from 2nd to 3rd and loosing all gears and being stuck in 3rd and loosing the clips for your gear linkages. Not that ive just spent the last 15 minutes stuck at the side of said dual carriageway trying to fix this....honest!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Just to add, ive just looked on service box and the linkage ball that is mounted on the subframe is part number 2449 71 and is £32.51. There is also a plastic bush that goes through the pivot and that is 2175 34 and is £2.52. You will need two of these.

Seeing as my ball is badly worn (giggidy), ill be fitting a new one pay day and hopefully that will really make a difference!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Did it make much of a difference just changing the bush?

Do you think you could rotate the ball 45 degrees so the less worn part of the ball is in contact with the bush?
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 06:22 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Did it make much of a difference just changing the bush?

Do you think you could rotate the ball 45 degrees so the less worn part of the ball is in contact with the bush?

Yes its made a big difference. Slightly less play and the change is alot smoother. Also feels like it goes into gear easier.

No, you couldnt rotate the ball. Its a plastic ball moulded onto the end of a metal arm. you could try and find a ball the same diameter and drill a hole and glue it onto the arm.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Or just buy a new pivot with the ball on. Although they are like 32 quid.
Got one to go on mine, along with the bush and some new gear linkages too.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
im going to give this a bash but will get a doner and replace then swap parts over thank you for the insite may get rid of my awful amounts of play ..
Thanks given by:
Wow, my bearing was worn:

[Image: P1010033_zps34c67f97.jpg]

[Image: P1010035_zpsb5e00796.jpg]

I am pleased to confirm that this is quite easy to do, even if you do not have the correct tools. I am quite proud of the fact that I was able to think of an inventive way to head up the gear linkage rod to get the desired effect:

[Image: P1010037_zpsd4e3b6cd.jpg]

To remove the bearing you can lay the rod on the floor (preferably a hard surface) and put a block of wood over the rod that you can hold down with your knee as below:

[Image: P1010038_zps15ea46d4.jpg]

Once you have the old bearing out you can use the socket smeared with grease and twist it through the hole to make the new bearing tap in easily.
Thanks given by:
The bush is 'easily' available from a few sellers online, it's a standard engineering part you just need a 36/32/40 split bush, the numbers are the bushes measurements in MM. Outer/Inner/Length.

These guys are cheaper than bearing boys, because of the postage though so well worth group buys really.
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearing...index.html

You can google 3-4 different e-suppliers easily. Local shops should be able to help too.

I don't think you really need fire to get it out, a 1-1/16th socket is just right and it takes just a few taps with a mallet on the socket, I avoid using my MM sockets as drifts as they're the ones most frequently used here in the UK!

Just a bit of info if it helps anyone here Smile
Thanks given by:
Hi guys bringing up a bit of a old thread but im going to have a crack at this too.

So far ive got the gearshift control return and a new bearing as shown.

[Image: 0fe9d3a1275fdc4d1f4b6d4addc7f3b8.jpg]

Is the rubbery/plastic meant to be a dead fit or should it ba able to move inside the bearing?

Ive also ordered a couple of the 217534's but one was broken so they will go back to peugeot tomorrow.
Niall will i need to order a 241923 as well?

[Image: 4673cd914863973c95238a4adb066508.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Snoop dog has a bush
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Thanks given by:
thanks for the exploded view, I don't have that on but have printed off and will place in my pug306 exploded views parts file, which is getting thicker....very useful views etc..... Blush

have also made a note of bearing boys and simply bearings for future use, as ever, brilliant forum.
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2015, 01:29 PM)pug306driver Wrote: thanks for the exploded view, I don't have that on but have printed off and will place in my pug306 exploded views parts file, which is getting thicker....very useful views etc..... Blush

have also made a note of bearing boys and simply bearings for future use, as ever, brilliant forum.

Make a servicebox account?
That's where they're all from.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Guide: P bush Partner to 306 Welshy_Pete 1 2,110 14-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Last Post: powerandtorque