Relay issue???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relay issue???
Right so I was fitting my boost gauge earlier, I took the wiper motor out and drilled a hole just above the box behind it,

I then poked the boost hose thro the hole from outside, went inside and through the drivers vent i reached in and pulled it though, at which point there was a click and a small amount of electrical smoke,

So now i don't have power to:

Radio
Time clock,
speedo
rev counter
fuel
engine temp

but as soon as i indicate all of the above starts flashing with power in time with the indicator relay, with other relays clicking at the same time including the hazzered switch, but as soon as i push the hazzered switch it all stops again and has no power atall,

Iv also checked all fuses an none have blown ,

Thoughts please???? cully im looking at you here .......

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Check the wiper relay on the boot lid. Sounds silly but simular problem and was found to be that.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
maybe you didnt check what you drilled into. there is a mass of wires and the main joint connection block in the drivers side top of bulkhead,
if drilling is the only thing you did before the problems my money is on that you have caught 1 or more cables with the drill bit as it went through the metal
Thanks given by:
Listen to the sparky god.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 04:40 PM)cully Wrote: maybe you didnt check what you drilled into. there is a mass of wires and the main joint connection block in the drivers side top of bulkhead,
if drilling is the only thing you did before the problems my money is on that you have caught 1 or more cables with the drill bit as it went through the metal

I know the wires are there, iv been through that part of the bulk head before so was carefull not to drop the drill straight through, i didn't even go trough the sound deadening as i pierced that through with a screw driver after,

The click and smoke came as i was pulling the boost line through from between the wires, the smoke come from down by the fues box, so was wondering if i pulled a wire off the back of the relay box or something and i bridged,

Im guessing from you reply this wouldn't course this?

This what im getting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91bcLm1G...e=youtu.be

(18-05-2013, 04:27 PM)kingy Wrote: Check the wiper relay on the boot lid. Sounds silly but simular problem and was found to be that.

Will still have a look ThumbsUp

Thanks given by:
what a cool dance those needles are doing
looks like an earth issue have you broken the earth off at the pedle?
Thanks given by:
lol that looks awesome!

I'm going with earth behind the pedals too.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-05-2013, 06:59 PM)cully Wrote: what a cool dance those needles are doing
looks like an earth issue have you broken the earth off at the pedle?

(18-05-2013, 08:19 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: lol that looks awesome!

I'm going with earth behind the pedals too.

cheers for the suggestion guys will check that 1st tomorrow

Thanks given by:
Wow you've f*cked something big style! lol

Yeah id be getting my head up behind the dash and having a look. If you had smoke, you should be able to see something burnt.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
right iv got the dash out no bare wiers nothing burnt and no obvious damage any where???

Thanks given by:
Right so from what i can see. i have cought a big brown wire that goes to the fan blower relay and earthed that on the bulk head......... so i must of burnt somthing out some where. but what ? iv changed all the relays and nothing. checked the pedal earth ...... nothing.

swaped the dials . nothing

indicater stalks .. nothing

hazzerd switch ... nothing.

running out of ideas fast.

Thanks given by:
Do you have the climate control heater dials or just the standard setting 1, 2, 3, 4 ones?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 03:40 PM)Niall Wrote: Do you have the climate control heater dials or just the standard setting 1, 2, 3, 4 ones?

Climate controls I believe Smile
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
Can't see this white plug on yours can you? Heater blower I think, and mine had obviously been burnt by something, maybe a long shot but just an idea.

[Image: Breaking3065262_zpsa65d448e.jpg]

[Image: Breaking3065263_zps533814a2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-05-2013, 02:56 PM)puglove Wrote: Right so from what i can see. i have cought a big brown wire that goes to the fan blower relay and earthed that on the bulk head......... so i must of burnt somthing out some where. but what ? iv changed all the relays and nothing. checked the pedal earth ...... nothing.

swaped the dials . nothing

indicater stalks .. nothing

hazzerd switch ... nothing.

running out of ideas fast.

big brown wire might be a feed to the fuseboard or part of it

have you checked the fues's under the bonnet?
Thanks given by:
my heaters still work fine , could it still be part of the issue?

paul. yes it does look as if it goes back to the fues box yet no blown fueses.

Thanks given by:
Yeah mine still worked lol (well kind of, there was another fault in the system)....I didn't find that white plug until I broke the car though...
Thanks given by:
highly doubt it will be this but tried pulling the shunt fuse and leaving it for a few mins then putting it back?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
shunt fues on a ph3, the grey on in the middle of box?

I did leave the bottery off all night?

will check the heaters as i havnt actually unplugged and looked at that connetion.
but i do suspect the issue is in the fues box area as thats where the smoke & click came from

Thanks given by:
Got a multimeter? If so, check all the fuses for continuity (dont just go by eye. Some can break but you wont see it)

Drop me a text if you want some help. Maybe a bit quicker than on here.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I aint even sure what im doing with a multi meter tbh. i dont know what should be live where or when.

As much as hate having to get people in i think im going to have to get a car electrical guy in to have a look im getting way out of mt depth on this one......

Thanks given by:
Checking fuses with a multimeter is easy....just stick it on continuity (looks like a wifi symbol lol), stick the probes on each side of the fuse and it should beep if the fuse is good.

An auto-electrician won't be cheap tbh....theres only so many things that could be at fault, and as you can see from the pic I put up yesterday, it'll be obvious if something is burnt!
Thanks given by:
Well I resort to that soon tom, I will pop to my dads and grab the muti meter............. should all the fuses be live then??

#####RIIGGGHHTTT development , I found that the little black box at the bottom of the center dash (under hazard switch/heated rear screen button) is a little black box that clicks along with the indicators, it I unplug it it stops clicking (surprisingly lol) but the dash stops doing the funky pigeon dance with the indicators , but it just dosnt do anything atall, could this be at fault could this of got fry'd ??

IIRC its a ph3 thing to do with the mileage or something, but I maybe talking shit

Thanks given by:
that controls the central locking and the immo unlock signal to the ecu it flashes the indicators when you unlock/lock the car

nothing to do with mileage on the 306 Wink
Thanks given by:
This box paul has exactly the same yellow plug on it as on the back of the dials. this would lead me to think that it controls the dials in some way.

You say it also controls the hazzards/indicators ( another main issue) & the central locking which has also stopped working now. im starting to think this could be where the fault is. Do you think this could be the case?

Also do you know what the correct name is for it. and could i just grab another one & plug it to see if this solves the problem or is it coded to the car and needs to programed to wprk or somthing?

Thanks given by:
you can not just swap over these boxs

to swap the box you would also need
ECU
black box
immo chip from key
rcl circuitboard from key

all from the same car as a matched set also the ecu number needs to match your original (1plug or 3plug ecu)

can you read any of the wire numbers on the cable you drilled through?

i still think you need to recheck your fuses under the bonnet including the big BMF fuses
Thanks given by:
whats the black box?

i will double check the fuses tonight but im 99% sure they are all good

& yeah i can get the nobut forgot what it was lol

Thanks given by:
black box is what we class as the BSI unit its in the lower centre dash under the hazard switch
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 09:59 AM)cully Wrote: black box is what we class as the BSI unit its in the lower centre dash under the hazard switch

oooohhhh right. well yeah this is the part I suspect is the issue.

But if its so vital to the ECU/Immobiliser........ how come the car starts & runs with it unplugged :S

Thanks given by:
it shouldnt unless the ecu has been unlocked by a previous owner
Thanks given by: